Diablo 3 Officially Announced

Humodour

@Tale

Did you play as a gnome or one of the lesser races?

I too was a warlock.

I played the most evil race in the game. The only race to commit genocide against itself. The Gnome!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm all for some sort of limits on respecing. Exactly what I don't know. I probably wouldn't use it all that much, like I said just to get out of bad skill choices. So probably only once or twice, definitely no more than five times.

I'm interested in the supposedly beefed up storytelling. As addictive as the gameplay used to be, I don't think that alone can do it for me anymore.

Would agree that as a single-player game, the Diablo style game wouldn't hook me nearly as much (for years and years of replays) like they did at one time. But they were just about the only multiplayer game where I actually liked playing with other people, despite all the "LOL" and "TP Plz" "u nub" nonsense....so that would keep me playing a lot longer than just playing it alone. I'm not sure why...maybe because I tend to like less disorganized mp grouping...keep it random, simple, and keep it unnecessary to have a huge tactical plan and certain classes required and 4 free hours to run and kill a dungeon boss....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't see why it wouldn't be, unless they actually took away the single-player-only aspect of the game, maybe (I don't really know what LAN requires to work, programming wise?) which is doubtful.

But for D2 at least, you could play on bnet in a private/password game so only your friends could enter. It's what I often did. But LAN is better if you're all local, I agree.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't see why it wouldn't be, unless they actually took away the single-player-only aspect of the game, maybe (I don't really know what LAN requires to work, programming wise?) which is doubtful.

But for D2 at least, you could play on bnet in a private/password game so only your friends could enter. It's what I often did. But LAN is better if you're all local, I agree.

LAN rules! Well, maybe they want to expand their control through Battle.net. I just got a little woried due to all the emphasis being placed on the Battle.net in the announcements with no mention of alternatives whatsoever.

I hope that they have an easier to manipulate lan system (instead of the "must know other computers IP addresses")

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, and even I feel cartoonish is stretching it a bit. Still, personally when I look at the screenies and gameplay, I don't feel it looks like much like Diablo. Even so, one should keep in mind that I haven't played the game in a long time. And the art people even said at the panel that they themselves had remembered Diablo quite differently than how it actually looked. Especially when it came to the colors.

This picture shows kinda what I'm talking about, though it is not exactly spot on (it's also not my manipulation).

1214657022122wu5oq6.jpg

I would prefer something more akin to the lower picture, but like I said. My memory might be skewed as well.

palette06.jpg

How about containing re-specs to non-ladder characters?

The ladder race would be ruined if it suddenly became one build for 1-24 then another one for nightmare and then another one for hell etc.

This is a pretty good solution, I think.

I think this hasn't been mentioned here yet...but this is the current big "buzz" and it regards pk/griefing.

Posted by Blizz rep Bashiok in this D3 thread: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...=2&sid=1#24

We're - in general - not big fans of griefing for any game. It's really only "fun" for one person, and that definition of fun isn't generally something we're going to want to encourage. It's far more positive to encourage and support meaningful and skillful options and systems within a game, than a mechanic for people to instantly turn against one another for no meaningful gameplay reasons.

I definitely remember running with my friends, and someone toggles it, and bam everyone is dead and your one friend is laughing. Ok, ok, good joke I guess, and then you run back and *bam*, you've toggled it to get them back. After a while everyone usually agrees to a truce because it's just a waste of time. But I also remember running with random players and losing extremely nice items because of it, not cool. I'm sure that it was a feature that was right up some people's alleys, I won't deny there are some that would enjoy nothing more than to see others frustrated, but is that truly something that should be encouraged through design - if not directly opposed?

We have a large focus on cooperative play for Diablo III, and the mechanics and design decisions related to multiplayer are likely going to be based on supporting and encouraging it as much as possible, and not breaking it down.

That doesn't mean that PvP won't have its own focus, but those are details and features we aren't yet discussing.

Edit: P.S. - if "griefing" is eliminated, I won't personally miss it.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Trophy hunter. :x

Having 800 ears defeats the purpose of a trophy.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Griefing is undesirable, full stop. PVP if you want, PVE if you want. It's that easy - until you try to look at it backwards and see if it can be justified.

That said, the ear thing *was* cool, I enjoyed a lot when I did have PVP 'duels'.