Mass Effect PC gone Gold

Meh. Piracy is the biggest threat to the continued viability of non-solitaire PC gaming. If my spending a couple of minutes jumping through some hoops when I install a game can have some positive effect in deterring pirates, it's a price I'm willing to play.

I'm planning on picking up ME on PC. Seems like an entertaining title, and switching to a console would start far too many "who gets to use the big TV" fights with my fiancee.

2 things can sombody post a link to where they said they'd patch out the security.

and Can sombody tell me if they are going to be patching the 360 version with an inventory sorter?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It can. It's better than most including BIO's owns BG. And, PST. And, FO. Not quite as good as FO2, or BG2, though. Close but no cigar.

"First they sellout by making it a console game only, now they want to play kiss up with the pc gamers like they with Jade Empire."

Funnily enough, igonrant PC fools sem to forget that BIo has basiclaly been making console games since their creation. And, oh btw, they 'sold out' the moment they switch from being doctors to game creators. R00fles!

They owe PC gamers (and, console gamers) NOTHING.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

First they sellout by making it a console game only, now they want to play kiss up with the pc gamers like they with Jade Empire. :givemiddlefingericon:

Why would anyone care it was released on console first? Only one who would care about stuff like that must have some pretty big personal problems.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

First they sellout by making it a console game only, now they want to play kiss up with the pc gamers like they with Jade Empire. :givemiddlefingericon:

Why would anyone care it was released on console first? Only one who would care about stuff like that must have some pretty big personal problems.

Alternatively, they could simply be aware that the console RPG market is different to the PC RPG market.

"Their livelihood?"

Nah. They owe thier skill, and intelligenc ewhen it comes to making games people want to pay to play for their livelihood. The only thing they owe is to make the best games they can with as few bugs as posisble for actual paying customers. It's irrelevant whether said customer is a 'BIO fan', PC troll, or console gamer.

If you paid $50 for BG2; BIO owed you BG2 and presumably you got it way back in 2000 when it was released. They owe you NOTHING in 2008. That's a fact.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A good game is a good game, regardless of platform, Krezy and DR. ME is a damn good game, one of the best in recent years. It is the only game in a decade that knocked Fallout 1 out of my #1 position. My only objection tot he PC version is the copy protection. It is very much worth getting if that wasn't a factor. Also, I agree with Volourn on what Bioware owes and not owes its customer base.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There'll probably be some crack for the game to remove the online activation thing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

...I wouldn't touch the PC version due to its DRM SecuROM protection scheme.

Exactly. I would rather save my money for a product that does not assume I am a criminal because I bought a legitimate copy of the game.

This argument always brings a smile to my face.

Having a single player game that forces you to go online just to say "I got a legit copy, looky" that only gives you three installs in the entire life time of the game makes you smile? That seems to be a strange thing to smile at, but whatever trips your trigger, Alan.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

There'll probably be some crack for the game to remove the online activation thing.

Sure, but it is pretty damn sad to be forced to use a crack to play a single player offline game that one legitimately bought.

This is incredible.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It seems that, according to some on this board and others on various gaming boards:

-SecuROM = BAD

-Online activation = BAD

-Limiting installs per key to x different hardware configurations = BAD

-Apparently, even making widespread busts of pirates seems to = BAD

Apparently, the only thing some folks will accept is the laughably-easy-to-defeat CD-KEY. Anything beyond that and the bitching and moaning ensues, with laughable stories about how copy protection scheme y destroyed their rigs (yeah, sure... AFAIK, no one collected on Starforce's $1000 challenge to prove that their software breaks hardware, and Starforce is probably the most intrusive scheme out there).

No one should be surprised if PC gaming really dries up in the next few years. We are sending a loud and clear message to developers: "We do not accept your attempts at curbing illegal use." For now, they listen and tone down the protection. Eventually, they will likely just abandon the PC market (exceptions for MMOs and casual titles) and go over to consoles, where piracy is less of an issue.

Piracy will hit the consoles eventually.

Also, it would be REALLY sad to see PC gaming die. The thing is, game companies don't know how to deal with the piracy threat. Anti-piracy programs don't work, and they piss off the real customers. They just need to think of other solutions...

In any case, my PC sucks, so I don't play games on it, but even then having only consoles would suck.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Stardock doesn't have an issue with pirates and their stuff don't use any software protection, and they have made good chunk of money off their games. Pirates will pirate the game no matter what. It doesn't matter what copy protection is used pirates will crack it. People who plan on buying the game will buy the game. People who will pirate the game will pirate the game.