New Fallout 3 screens

sharkz

BethSoft is infamous for playing their cards close to the vest when it comes to their products, good or bad. I sometimes wonder if it's because they have a bit too much smugness in their staff for their own good. Daring to suggest they may have made a mistake is often a good way to get banned on their forums. I know that. So while I'd probably put myself in the 'cautiously optimistic camp' when it comes to FO3, I'm not saying anything more.

I think they CAN pull it off because they do epic-scale, open-end exploration well. I'm worried because they have a nasty habit of jumping from one extreme to another in every product...and fixing what isn't broke. I was shocked at how gigantic a step backwards Oblivion was from Morrowind. I personally would be very happy if FO3 was a post-apoc Morrowind style, scope and quality game. As happy as FO1 & 2? Of course not. But I'm not looking for lightening in the bottle regardless of the title.

I didn't think it was possible to go backwards from MW, but somehow Todd Howard pulled it off. A neat trick!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

From Game Informer, presumably. It's interview with Jeremy Soule

GI: Thank you for setting down with us, Jeremy. Let's get right down to the point. You have been the composer for Bethesda's previous two hits, The Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion. Among many other things, both were critically acclaimed for their amazing soundtracks. Recently, Bethesda released several audio clips of Fallout 3's music, composed by Inon Zur. We, the fans, want to know the real reason you are not scoring the music for the upcoming Fallout 3.

JS: Bethesda did approach me for the Fallout 3 project. I have always been a long time fan of Fallout and Fallout 2, so I was more than excited. I contacted Mark Morgan, the original composer of Fallout, for help on the project. We collaborated and really tried to capture the atmosphere of the originals. I put together several demo tracks for the producers over at Bethesda to preview. They didn't like them.

GI: Bethesda didn't like them? They told you this?

JS: Not directly. What Bethesda wanted was a more epic tone, and one that was on par with their past fantasy efforts and recent shooters. I told them that I didn't feel Fallout was compatible with that kind of music. It's not. It's the complete opposite of what they're doing. Apparently, they didn't like this too much. Executive producer Todd Howard said they would think about it and call me back with an answer. I still haven't received that call.

GI: That's amazing. How are you feeling about it?

JS: I am still a little depressed, to tell you the truth. I loved the original Fallout games, and don't quite know what to expect now. I wish them all the luck with Ion Zerg though.

GI: Inon Zur.

JS: Yes. Good luck to them.

GI: We would like to thank legendary composer Jeremy Soule for this glimpse into Fallout 3!

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Hahahaha, true Fallout music.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Well, I'm buying it and some of you might remember that I didn't really like the original Fallout very much. FO2 was good, I'll grant you. But... Tactics. Tactics was great.

In fact, why doesn't somebody make a Fallout Tactics game with some Jagged Alliance-style character overlays and just make the Greatest Game Evar?

sonsofgygax.JPG

If true, the Ion Zerg bit is priceless.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That whole bit was priceless.

Todd really has no clue. ****ing franchising.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Where did you get it from Xard? I'm pretty on the ball with fo3 news and I haven't seen this anywhere. It's quite fascinating actually, becuase most people would have branded the Jeremy Soule style the antithesis to Fallout, if anything (and he has yet to show us that he has more than one style).

But certainly, it is very believable that Bethesda would have refused a potential sample on the basis that it was not epic enough. That is the direction they are going in, undeniably (quite removed from whether that's good or not, nobody can deny they are going for contemporary, american cinema-style 'epic').

It's from the Codex.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, I spotted it from there. Then some wisecrack started to make some weird **** up and for long time I (or anyone else for that matter) couldn't be sure if interview I quoted was real one. That's why I put "presumably" after the source.

Well, it appears to be legit, yay :)

Of course I forgot to bold most important part

JS: I am still a little depressed, to tell you the truth. I loved the original Fallout games, and don't quite know what to expect now. I wish them all the luck with Ion Zerg though.

Well, Soule is being Mr. Obvious here but this is yet another strike against "credibility" of F3

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

That was a cool little find, thanks Xard. :)

I refuse to give up my hope that FO3 will be at least pretty good, but Todd Howard sucks away that hope like a black hole.

I don't care remotely if it is anything like FO1 or FO2. Please please please just don't make it as ****ed up and broken as Oblivion.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

most people would have branded the Jeremy Soule style the antithesis to Fallout, if anything (and he has yet to show us that he has more than one style).

Oh, Soule is most known for the fantasy epic, but he can do other stuff as well. I particularly liked his martial themes in Total Annihilation and Dawn of War.

I don't get why I'm defending the guy, seriously he is just about my least favorite composer, but he can do variety. And seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Poor Bethesda. And I was just about anxious for the game after playing Shivering Isles.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

In fact, why doesn't somebody make a Fallout Tactics game with some Jagged Alliance-style character overlays and just make the Greatest Game Evar?
**** yeah!

:( There is no hope for Fallout 3. That game is in name only. The great Fallout series died after Fallout Tactics if not before. :(
Is DOOOOOOOOM preaching an adequate substitute for life?

Just wondering.

Also, the way she's put "game" in italics implies that she doesn't believe Fallout 3 will be a game.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

If it's ANYTHING like STALKER, I'm going to wet my pants with exhilaration.

+1

If Fallout 3 is gonna be different than F1/F2 then it might as well do it in an interesting way like STALKER.

+1

But what I've seen so far doesn't enamour me. The 'humour' and writing style are rather tacky and gaudy. Art direction is OK, except for the creature animations (mutants look too much like Fallout: Tactics muties - which is bad).

I subscribe to the Tactics love, minus the endgame

robot snoozefest

. Somebody should take up that license and do the gaming world a favor.

kirottu said:

Oh, Soule is most known for the fantasy epic, but he can do other stuff as well. I particularly liked his martial themes in Total Annihilation and Dawn of War.

I don't get why I'm defending the guy, seriously he is just about my least favorite composer, but he can do variety. And seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

I forgot about Total Annihilation, I stand corrected. :)

I never got around to trying Tactics, actually. FO1/2 was darn hard enough to find as a New Zealand high schooler.