New Fallout 3 screens

sharkz

I agree about the main theme. It's just too grandiose for Fallout. Wasteland could be toned down maybe a tad, but Megaton was ok... I wish they could have gotten Morgan to do the music :aiee:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I pretty much love every soundtrack these days, but frankly, it's hard to like this one...

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The main theme is terrible. I mean, it is oK in general, but it does not fit Fallout AT ALL. It belongs in Oblivion. Its only main title music though so not a big deal.

The other 2 are both pretty forgettable, but they are not really meant to be listened to by themselves, I guess.

ANyway, the consensus at the FO forums is pretty much the same. Although there is some love for the Into the Wastelands piece,.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Game soundtracks are meant to fit in with the mood of the game, not to be listened to on their own. Very few are of sufficient quality to be enjoyable by themselves, and I reckon that sometimes it's only because of the emotions they stir from past gaming sessions.

While I find these rather uninspiring, I'll wait to see the finished product. And FO(2) soundtracks could only be described as bland at some points, and vapid the rest of the time, but they were OK-ish in-game.

Not enough for me to cry doom just yet.

EDIT: added italicized part for clarity.

Edited by random n00b

Nope, no doom here. Just commentary. :aiee:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Gee, what a shocker. The same people who are like "this will never be a Fallout game in anything but the name!!1!" are crying about every little bit of new information slipping out about the game.

Don't you guys ever get tired of explaining to the world how hardcore you are and how stupid everyone else is for enjoying something new?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Gee, what a shocker. The same people who are like "this will never be a Fallout game in anything but the name!!1!" are crying about every little bit of new information slipping out about the game.

Don't you guys ever get tired of explaining to the world how hardcore you are and how stupid everyone else is for enjoying something new?

Where in the heck did that come from? This is one of the most moderate gaming boards Fallout-canon-wise, I've ever seen.

So angry, mkreku. :( If we turn that logic on its head, I could accuse you of not taking any criticism seriously just because they are directed at FO3 and they are coming from 'hardcore fans', irrespective of the legitimacy of that criticism. It would be unfair on you, yes, but the point is that major games that are not sequels are scrutinised closely as well, and it's just part of the industry's culture now. In Obsidian at least I don't see a lot of pointless rabble-rousing - I read Beth forums, Codex and NMA on a regular basis and in comparison this is a lot more moderate (even to the Beth forums!).

I listened to the tracks before reading anybody else's comments and I thought they were pretty well suited to the Fallout mood, though the main theme has always been a piece of generic crap. But then I never really considered Morgan's music to be 'amazing' like many others do - it was music that I would forget was even there, so as an ambient it was very accomplished, but I didn't feel it was 'super awesome'.

I think as long as they avoid having too many of those main theme-style epic tra-lalas and synth rock or something equally stupid for combat, the music should be alright and it'll be interesting to see how Zur does it, he's definitely a good composer.

I've never played a Fallout game, but the music was pretty good.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

lolz. I found this tidbit at NMA. Worth posting here, just to annoy mkreku. :bat: just kidding, mk :(

It's funny. I look at Fallout when I play it every day, and I sometimes think that there's a lot of old-school hardcore PC stuff in there too, and part of me thinks, "God, is this too inaccessible for console players?" There's a lot of dialogue to read, a lot of just hacking computers and looking through things like "VAT." I don't know.

WHole thingie here: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...40&Itemid=2

Damn console players always gumming up the works! Can't you people learn to read? :*

I've never played a Fallout game
You should stop wasting time with TOMBS and go play Fallout, then.

T.O.M.B.S. is dead

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Maybe there is radiation all over the place in the top soil or something. Or maybe there isn't any top soil anymore because all the construction companies used it back before the bombs went off, so now all the top soil is under all the houses and buildings, and plants can't grow under buildings and houses.

Nature has easily reclaimed the land previously devastated by Chernobyl. And that was only about, what, 20 years ago?

But what about all the missing top soil?

Top soil just doesn't grow on trees!

Hahahahahahahahaha

The main theme sounds like it'd be more at home in a movie adaptation of Howard's Phoenix in the Sword. Zur is a great composer, it's just that I'm getting kinda mixed feelings over such music in a Fallout title.

Then again, it'd be interesting to see a post-apoc title that is as epic as that main theme.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Fallout had music?!

Zur is awsome.

EDIT: and so is this music, you guys are just bitter because you have ideas of what Fallout 3 SHOULD be and not what it's going to be.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Zur was indeed awesome in BG2. I thought the new tracks were decent, as I already mentioned. But I think a lot will hinge on how he does battle music, that'll be the real kicker and have a huge impact on atmosphere if he, say, goes with war drums, synth rock or epic.

lolz. I found this tidbit at NMA. Worth posting here, just to annoy mkreku. :p just kidding, mk :(

It's funny. I look at Fallout when I play it every day, and I sometimes think that there's a lot of old-school hardcore PC stuff in there too, and part of me thinks, "God, is this too inaccessible for console players?" There's a lot of dialogue to read, a lot of just hacking computers and looking through things like "VAT." I don't know.

WHole thingie here: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...40&Itemid=2

Damn console players always gumming up the works! Can't you people learn to read? :*

What stood out there is "I play Fallout everyday". That's a tad obsessive.

Yeah, absolutely. We're pretty confident, unless the building burns down, I think we're good.

That's the kind of thing someone who was planning on burning down a buldning would say.

EDIT: and so is this music, you guys are just bitter because you have ideas of what Fallout 3 SHOULD be and not what it's going to be.

To some degree that is true, at least in my case, though I would leave out the bitterness part as regards Fallout. But its more than that. My associations with music comes from a wide variety of experiences, not just simply Fallout or even computer games in general. I find instrumental music extremely evocative of images, especially landscapes and colors. When I listened to that main title piece, what it evoked for me was not the imagery I expect to be a part of Fallout 3. In Fallout 3 I expect a lot of brown, metal, rust, garbage, a variety of old buldings materials, etc and so forth. These expecations come from both the original games and what I have heard the devs say about Fo3 and the screenshots that have been released. The ttile theme does not evoke anything remotely that I would associate with those expected images.

Please note that I am not trying to present this in anyway as being other than completely subjective, I am only trying to explain why I felt the title theme was not appropriate for me.

I am bitter, but that's not my problem with this music.

The main theme is not a bad piece of music, but like CrashGirl said, not particularly evocative of anything Fallout. It makes me think of dark fantasy stuff.

Megaton is generally in a direction I would like for Fallout, but it just sucks. The middle part is just cacophony, and painful to listen to. If Zur had kept it more toned down like the beginning of it, with less guitar/banjo/string slides all over the place it would've worked a lot better for me. Now it's flat out annoying to listen to.

Into the Wasteland is not exactly the direction I would go for a "wasteland exploring" (if the track is that) piece, but I think it will work nice enough. I would've liked it to be a bit more electronic and threatening though, but I think it will work fine.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The reason that I dislike the music is that mr. Inon Drool HAS created better music in the past. His ID2 music contain some of the most evocative wintry pieces that I've ever heard and his latest works with the Dawn of War expansions also had music that I had trouble getting enough of, so why does he fail me now? Why mr. Ion Drive, why?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif