Dragon Age preview

Morgoth

Heh. I always get a chuckle out of articles that claim "fantasy has moved on since then".

Bull.

The same impulses that drove people to fantasy ten years ago are still out there today: the desire to escape into a simpler, more cleanly organized world. Real life is messy. Fantasy is not. Fantasy does have Evil Orcses and Good Elflings, and that's the enduring appeal of Fantasy. Dark and gritty fantasy might appeal to people as a novelty and it might become popular for a year or two -- particularly with the entire entertainment industry jumping on the bandwagon -- but I'm betting it'll all flame out in half a decade at most. If we're lucky, what'll be left is more diversity than before, with a few darker titles mixed in with the light and fluffy ones.

That aside, DA is probably the only title I'm even remote interested in so far for this coming year. thanks for the link.

There arent even any screenshots.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Even if all the world is against you, you will have love, and friends that stand by you.

Jesus Christ. I know that's a recurring theme in fantasy. But couldn't they try to only use it incidentally? Explicitly going for that... oh dear.

Dragon Age is for hippies. Confirmed.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sounds a whole heck of a lot like The Witcher.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Even if all the world is against you, you will have love, and friends that stand by you.

Jesus Christ. I know that's a recurring theme in fantasy. But couldn't they try to only use it incidentally? Explicitly going for that... oh dear.

Wow. That's a really, really crappy theme.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wow. That's a really, really crappy theme.

is not the theme of da so much as it is Gaider doing the bio shuffle: try to make everybody happy.

developer comment: "DA is going to be much darker and grimmer than previous Bioware titles."

fan response 1: Fantastic. I am so tired of playing every game in a candyland version of Tolkien's Middle Earth.

fan response 2: If I wanted grim and dark I would read a book, not play a game. I see enough suffering in real life, and I want good old fashioned escapist fantasy rather than some dreary melodrama.

fan response 3: Bio sucks and this game is vaporware anyway.

fan response 4: No, YOU suck, and...

etc.

is pretty much the way things actually occurred when bio developers announced that DA would be dark... influenced by george r.r. martin and the new battlestar galactica and similar stuff. 1/4 fans were pleased. 1/4 fans were disappointed. 1/2 fans wanted to argue 'bout something other than tone or mood o' setting and story... the need for customizable footware 'n such.

bio did the expected and tried to mollify... da would be dark, but not Too dark.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sounds a whole heck of a lot like The Witcher.

Definately, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a bad thing.

1. Dark and grim setting? Check!

2. Dwarves are outcasts? Check!

3. Elves are usually terrorists? Check!

4. Standard racism against non-humans? Check!

5. Magic-users are few and feared? Check!

6. More focus on C&C (=grey area) than black&white choices? Check!

6. Sex Cards?....

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

6. Sex Cards?....

Gaider did say you would have love. Maybe he meant frequently. :thumbsup:

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

6. Sex Cards?....

Gaider did say you would have love. Maybe he meant frequently. :thumbsup:

I'm sold. Instant buy on releaseday :*

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"2. Dwarves are outcasts?"

I don't think that's what it' saying. It's saying that vthe dwarves who live underground view other dwarves who decide to live on the surface as outcasts. Not that dwarves in general ar eoutcasts. In fact, it seems that elves are the ouytcasts.

My question with the elves being terrorists/freedom fighters is whate xactly are they fighting against? Hmmm.. And, I have to say I'm dissapointed in that. It seems like sensational stealing of current events. Tsk, tsk.

P.S. Dwarven females in most fantasy, espciially D&D, rarely have beards to begin with. That myth, espicially concerning D&D, is silly. Check out 'Complete Book of Dwarves' for evidence.

Anyways, people should stop writing articles about vapourware. It's Duke Nuke 'Em all over again. R00fles! :thumbsup:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Anyways, people should stop writing articles about vapourware. It's Duke Nuke 'Em all over again. R00fles! :bat:

Except Duke might actually be released :-

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Until I see screenshots, or videos, or anything else than "previews" I still won't be convinced Dragon Age is any good.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Anyways, people should stop writing articles about vapourware. It's Duke Nuke 'Em all over again. R00fles! :bat:

Except Duke might actually be released :-

Never. Keep dreaming sunshine.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Hmmm.. And, I have to say I'm dissapointed in that. It seems like sensational stealing of current events. Tsk, tsk.

I think you meant to type "known human history" but accidentally typed "current events."

I also don't understand the widespread aversion to shaking up a ridiculously stale genre, honestly. The beer-swilling, gruff, ultimately loveable dwarf, the arrogant, agile elf, the mischievous, kleptomaniacal halfling, and the bland human all get together to chase after some McGuffin in a world where everyone save the bad guys - usually clearly identifiable due to baldness or being half-snake - are good-hearted and likeable. We really need that yet again? I don't hear anyone screaming for Lethal Weapon 49. Why is this phenomenon peculiar to RPGers?

Hmmm.. And, I have to say I'm dissapointed in that. It seems like sensational stealing of current events. Tsk, tsk.

I think you meant to type "known human history" but accidentally typed "current events."

I also don't understand the widespread aversion to shaking up a ridiculously stale genre, honestly. The beer-swilling, gruff, ultimately loveable dwarf, the arrogant, agile elf, the mischievous, kleptomaniacal halfling, and the bland human all get together to chase after some McGuffin in a world where everyone save the bad guys - usually clearly identifiable due to baldness or being half-snake - are good-hearted and likeable. We really need that yet again? I don't hear anyone screaming for Lethal Weapon 49. Why is this phenomenon peculiar to RPGers?

If you got a problem with Danny Glover you got a problem with me. We aren't friends, we're family.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

"I also don't understand the widespread aversion to shaking up a ridiculously stale genre, honestly"

Fantasy genre isn't stale. That's a myth. It's as awesome as it always was.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There's no problem with shaking it up. The question is how it's done. I don't have a problem with most of the comments made in that preview, but the Elves as terrorists/freedom fighters bit is really not very appealing. All it's going to do is bring in current events stuff and merge it with uncomfortable Legolas heroism, and I'm really not happy with even the Witcher handling the issue of guerilla fighting. It's too much of a blatant commentary on 90's Earth.

Edit: But then, it seems the 'journalist' took a hint from sports journalism and decided to make up a 'preview' with incorrect information. Ah well.

There's no problem with shaking it up. The question is how it's done. I don't have a problem with most of the comments made in that preview, but the Elves as terrorists/freedom fighters bit is really not very appealing. All it's going to do is bring in current events stuff and merge it with uncomfortable Legolas heroism, and I'm really not happy with even the Witcher handling the issue of guerilla fighting. It's too much of a blatant commentary on 90's Earth.

Edit: But then, it seems the 'journalist' took a hint from sports journalism and decided to make up a 'preview' with incorrect information. Ah well.

Except that it's really not. Honestly, terrorism's nothing new; it's what kicked off World War I, just to name a pretty significant example that's still recent enough for people to to be familiar with.

"I also don't understand the widespread aversion to shaking up a ridiculously stale genre, honestly"

Fantasy genre isn't stale. That's a myth. It's as awesome as it always was.

This is an argument of preference, so obviously there's no way for either side to win it. In my opinion, fantasy's about as stale as it gets. Yeah, I read Dragonlance when I was fourteen, but there's a reason I don't anymore; I got older, learned to appreciate a far more nuanced approach to storytelling, not to mention stand-alone literary merit, and moved on. Same goes for games in my book. The average gamer age has gone up to, what? 27 or somewhere thereabouts? I think, as a demographic, we can handle a fantasy setting that isn't so squeaky-clean it looks like it's been powerwashed by Disney rainbow rays. The Witcher's very much a step in the right direction, with the only exception being the sex cards. Though I personally view those as a giant European middle finger directed our way, knowing we'd be perfectly fine with the violence, as we always are, but blush like nuns at the nudity. And they were absolutely correct.

What's so terrifying about a fantasy game that doesn't use the exact same formula as every other fantasy game on the market? I mean, I loved me some TIE Fighter, but I didn't expect every other space sim that came after it to be an exact copy with a couple of name changes.