Game prices

Pidesco

More than a good expansion - best crpg in long, long years.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I've discovered that the backlog of old games that I haven't played is currently so large that I can pick up those games relatively cheap and by the time I get through playing those games I can pick up the newer games cheap too. I'll go to Best Buy or CompUSA from time to time and see if they have any good deals.

It works well.

The only games I'll buy at full retail price are single player CRPGs that I've wanted to play for a long time. KOTOR2, NWN2 and MoTB I purchased right away. Hmm..seems like the only games I've been really looking forward to for the past few years are all OEI games. Well and Starcraft 2.

I've discovered that the backlog of old games that I haven't played is currently so large that I can pick up those games relatively cheap and by the time I get through playing those games I can pick up the newer games cheap too. I'll go to Best Buy or CompUSA from time to time and see if they have any good deals.

It works well.

The only games I'll buy at full retail price are single player CRPGs that I've wanted to play for a long time. KOTOR2, NWN2 and MoTB I purchased right away. Hmm..seems like the only games I've been really looking forward to for the past few years are all OEI games. Well and Starcraft 2.

Same here, theres always an older adventure game that i can try out. And they always require little system requirements so i can even play them on my laptop.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Then what happens in services like Steam, then? Because the games on Steam cost the same as at a regular store. Even Valve games are priced the same.

I would imagine the developers see a larger cut, but I've generally found steam to be cheaper due to exchange rate etc...

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

How costly could it be for developers to start selling a their own games online? The biggest issue they would have to worry about would be piracy prevention right? I don't know what im really talking about but it seems they are letting themselves get raped by the big dogs that aren't really needed anymore.

The main problem with online distribution is funding the games initial development.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

This is one of those things, where whole system logic doesn't remove personal accountability. Certainly if the industry raises prices it should expect piracy to increase. It's not as if this is news to anyone.

However, at a personal level

1. This does not mean that the individual has the right to just ignore the law, particularly in a democracy where that law is open for debate and alteration

2. Nor does it make it moral to contribute to hurting the industry

3. Nor does it make any sense to damage an industry which supports you in your hobby

If a protest is warranted, don't buy the games when they come out at full price. Wait until they come down in price, or don't buy at all. It won't kill you.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Volo, that's fair enough, but how would you explain games being 20-40% more expensive in Europe or Aus/NZ?

Because the dollar is almost worthless right now? Hence almost any other currency is worth more. You don't like that, then blame those that re-elected pres. shrub who thinks devaluing the dollar is a good thing with his C grade collage average in business.

Bottom line, the price difference is more a reflection of current geo-political/economic factors then 'greedy' game companies.

And props to V for having the courage to say what needed to be said!

If you can't afford this hobby of 'PC gaming' then find a hobby you can fit into your budget.

Edited by Rhomal

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Yeah, let the poor rabble play with their old bicycle wheels and pine cones (if they can afford it)! Let computer games be an exclusive pleasure for the rich! If you can't afford it, then **** you! Or get a second job, you bum!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I understand the luxury goods-argument, but +50% price when across the pond does not help a hobby I've previously been able to afford very well.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It hasn't come down.

And it also went up a bit before when we switched to the Euro.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, let the poor rabble play with their old bicycle wheels and pine cones (if they can afford it)! Let computer games be an exclusive pleasure for the rich! If you can't afford it, then **** you! Or get a second job, you bum!

pretty much, yes.

If one can't afford a $60. PC game then that person has bigger life issues then the cost of a PC game. They obviously need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get their financial life in order would be my suggestion before worrying about a hobby.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Not $60, $75 for a PC game. And in the country with the weakest economy in Western Europe, too.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, a very bad thing with the price policy. Is localisation really such a large expense that it justifies such a price increase, or is it because somebody controls the gaming market?

I have had similar issues with some gfx applications (being a hobby of mine), which costs the same in Euro and US Dollars. Is the significantly higher European price caused by localisation cost, especially in english speaking countries? Even more suspicous that these programs were developed in Europe and exported to the US (at a lower sales price than what europeans could buy them for).

On a related note, I never understood how the movie industry could get away with region encoding from a legislation point of view. It is nothing but market control and price fixing :lol:

I can't be the only one who noticed that some movies and video games have the text "not to be sold outside xyz country" on them. So much for free market economy... Somebody start pestering local law makers please?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sure, The Orange Box can only be played in the country it was bought in, or at least from an ISP address originating from that nation, and what's next? Games that can only be played within the state or city is was purchased in? :rolleyes:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I can't be the only one who noticed that some movies and video games have the text "not to be sold outside xyz country" on them. So much for free market economy... Somebody start pestering local law makers please?

How could you possibly have any problem with this? As an example, the Orange Box was released with a much lower SRP in two countries that have significantly above normal piracy because they wanted to get into the market in a way that could help encourage purchasing over pirating. However, they limited these copies to those regions. Them selling cheaper in these countries doesn't hurt you. If they were prevented from doing this they would either:

A) Sell in these countries at full SRP.

B) Not sell in these countries at all.

Why in the world would you want either of these outcomes?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

From my point of view, that's a very worrying development if it continues. I play very few games that I bought in the country/region where I'm currently based. I suppose I'm lucky I'm not into on-line gaming in a big way, but what's the principle here? Am I supposed to re-purchase my entire catalogue of games every time I move house?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I would think limiting the lower priced Orange Boxes would be acceptable -with maybe the option of buying more regions if one did buy a cheaper copy and wanted to take it elsewhere-, but it was my understanding that even full-priced copies from places like the U.S. and he U.K. had the same regional protection - although I could be mistaken. Also, I agree with Steve, there should be limitations to how far this can go, or else the consumer will only be punished for buying legal copies of games... :rolleyes:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

So what if people who can't afford to dish out $75 for a game download it? It's not like they'd buy it anyway, so the end total for the publisher/developer would be the same anyway.

Btw, poor people get bored too. Fscking rich snobs.

J.

From my point of view, that's a very worrying development if it continues. I play very few games that I bought in the country/region where I'm currently based. I suppose I'm lucky I'm not into on-line gaming in a big way, but what's the principle here? Am I supposed to re-purchase my entire catalogue of games every time I move house?

It happens only because some regions are anticipated as selling less due to economic or piracy issues (which can often be related). If you're moving from a particularly poor country that gets special low prices on some non-limited supply luxury goods to a more affluent country that gets more standard pricing, you may have to deal with some of that, but not entire catalogues. It's certainly better than expecting everyone who either won't or can't pay the full prices to pay that, including you. It's unfair to some, but the alternative seems less fair to more.

it was my understanding that even full-priced copies from places like the U.S. and he U.K. had the same regional protection

You were mistaken. It's limited to Russia and Thailand only.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Despite its (potential) ramifications for me, I broadly support the idea of selling games at reduced prices in developing countries, so that they are (slightly more) affordable for people who have computers and wish to game. I remember living in Vietnam where a legal copy of a typical game at the US price (had legal games been sold at all, which they weren't) would have cost three times a schoolteacher's monthly salary.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I don't think it's a problem for people to accept, that the price is lowered somewhat in low income countries. It doesn't explain though, why the price sometimes appears artificially high in some areas (e.g. Pidescos Portugal), especially if you desire an original language (often English) version.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, there was a time when the dollar was stronger than the euro. Back in 2002-2003 i think, it was 1 dollar equaled 1.10 euro or so, or something similar. But the prices where still the same, i.e. 49$ and 49

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No, that's actually my beef. When the dollar is strong, our retailers raise the prices using the motivation "the dollar is expensive which means higher world prices". But when the dollar is weak, they don't go the other way. They just silently keep the old prices intact while in the background THEIR costs are diminishing and their profits skyrocket. So they will keep this price until the dollar becomes strong again, at which point they'll blame their even higher prices on the dollar and raise it again. There's never a reduction, only a constant cyclical price raise.

It's no wonder one PC game costs $80 in Sweden. If you want a PS3 or Xbox 360 game, some games costs around 699SEK/$111 (Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect etc.).. You don't even want to know how much Guitar Hero 3 costs.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!