Mass Effect

Bokishi

I never figured that out. I never much paid attention to whether or not I got a Paragon or Renegade points for it. But I am definitely noticing it in my second run.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They tell you about this stuff in the manual, as well as in previews, reviews, message boards, etc. before the game was released.

While I'm not 100% in favor of the method, BIo made that design choice so those who didn't want to read chocies could just click on the most likely response for their character and get on with the 'cinematic story' or the killing.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Making the dialogue more compact and worthwhile would have worked too. :)

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The game was fun. Though, it only makes me even more against character romance threads. At least until they can do it right. It's either Ashley, the cheesy poetry quoting religious girl who feels the need to prove herself (she lost me at poetry), and who looks like a stroke victim (though everyone in the game has lazy eye, that just makes it more creepy) or tentacle haired girl with a baby face who is more socially awkward than Sand/Hades.

Some of the dialogue was unintentionally hilarious. "Relax... EMBRACE ETERNITY"

But the gameplay was tons of fun. The AI was slightly dissapointing. They have these interestingly laid out areas with traps and choke points, but the main tactic of enemies is to rush towards you, so you're rarely fighting beyond the front door. Though the mini-expansion was much better about that.

The ending was undeniably awesome. And I look forward to the sequel.

And now I get the joke:

You're right.

I'll stop him.

Not if I can help it!

That's some deep choice right there. The way the game treated your dialogue "choices" has me wondering if the different choices actually result in different responses 3/4 of the time.

Yeah, I really love this game! I loved the character romance with Kaidan too. Thought it was well done, and Kaidan is definitely a cutie! I can see why the dialog was clipped, since the entire game was VO'd. It would have been an expensive nightmare to VO (twice, no less!) long lines of more expansive dialog.

Anyway, I can't wait for Mass Effect 2. I loved almost everything about this game... even my sweet little Mako!

Edited by ~Di

Hey, I say some bad stuff about this game but it was really damn good. And fun. You DO get sucked in, even with its flaws.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Careful or Wrath of Dagon will come and yell at you for being idiots. :*

Personally I found the combat too lacking for it to be Bioware's strongest work.

Hey, I don't yell, I just don't understand how so many people miss the lousy quality of this game. Does repeating the same barren planet 35 times and claiming you're exploring the galaxy give no one a clue?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Guys... this is the spoiler section :*

If you want to beat the dead horse of which Bio game is better/worser/other compared to other bio/non-bio games, I am sure that there is plenty of rooms in other threads.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What if I say that the fact that it turns out that the ship was controlling Saren and was actually a reaper makes this Biowares best game?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Meh, I don't know, I was expecting something bigger. I mean, really... the idea that our reality isn't what we think it is and we're really just part of a big organics farm for machines... hrmm... where have I heard that plot before?

Someone should call Neo. He'd fix everything.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

[ending impressions of the game, assuming this is okay for this thread since it contains spoilers]

Man, just finished the game, pretty epic. Very high hopes for Mass Effect 2 if they learn from this re:gameplay and presintation.

There's really no reason why the whole game shouldn't have been to the same quality of the ending but I still found there to be too much 'CRPG convention' for my liking. Still congrats to Bioware for taking a risk with a new direction and having it pay off.

The plot was cheesy sure, aliens harvesting all life every 50,000 years, or whatever, but almost all scifi is cheesy on paper, and the same goes for fantasy. I mean, it's not like KotoR1 was any better, or any of the other bio games for that matter. Time traveling lizards? hahahahaha.

The fact that Sovreign turned out to be a reaper himself was a nice suprise in that I was expecting an endgame flood of crappy 'they destroy the universe but are really easy to kill!' badguys. Likewise, the fact that they actually explained why Serin was being a dork rather than him just being a racist jerk that i'd expected throughout the game. Getting him to kill himself, while easy, was actually quite satisfying despite the fact that i'd been robbed (I assume) of a boss fight.

There's still too much weakness heldover from previous biogames though. I spent most of the game with Wrex and Garrus, but not because they were sparkling personalities, just because they comlimented the parts with biotic/tech will still weilding rifles. That and the fact that they were the 'cool aliens'.

I mean, when it came to choosing which party member I was willing to let die I couldn't really have cared less, just like i've never cared less about any bioware henchie in the past.

That's not to say they're horrible, their writing/presintation is still high compared to the other bio games, and I never felt like any of them were there 'just because' (though only just), but even still, there simply wasn't enough character development/diologue to really justify their existance or my caring for their lives.

Actually, it says enough that I cared more about joker than I did about either of my actual human henchies and is a case in point for characters not *needing* to actually justify themselves with reems of pointless diologue (not that backstory is a bad thing) as long as they've got actual personalities and play a real role more than just 'I follow you and shoot things!'. Other members did this, sure, but again, not in any way that really made me care about their existance for the most part.

Roleplaying options were limited to standard biocrap (good/evil-lightside/darkside-paragon/renegade) but it's the 'quantity' which seems to really annoy the oldschool biofans who are used to massive sprawling cities and instead end up with about one 'large' town and not much else, which is slightly suspect, even just on the citidel, a spacestation which houses 'millions' and yet is contained within about two areas.

I can't say I would have wanted more wondering around though, and idealy they would have allowed me to use the run outside of combat to save me wasting time going from place to place (though I appresiated the rapid transport system).

If you want better combat, play Half-Life 2. If you want a better RPG, play just about anything.

Yeah, that nulifies the fact that I enjoyed the game, having played HL2, Gears of War, Deus Ex, KotoR1/2, BG1/2, Fallout1/2 and Icewind Dale1/2 before it. There's just no way I could play all those games and still enjoy Mass Effect for what it is.

Fact is, this is the ONLY bio game that I havn't had to force myself to finish, which is a massive step up on its own. If you didn't like it then judge all you want, but trying to force your 'you should have just done this' opinons are kind of irrelivent to someone who's already finished and enjoyed the game.

That's because it is an Action RPG; not a shooter or in the 'shooting genre'.

Thanks for restating my point!

Thing is, I expected the gameplay to be weaker because of that, and while it's still not up to the level of the dedicated shooting game it's emulating (on that level) it's still very competent.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"Meh, I don't know, I was expecting something bigger. I mean, really... the idea that our reality isn't what we think it is and we're really just part of a big organics farm for machines... hrmm... where have I heard that plot before?

Someone should call Neo. He'd fix everything."

Matrix is far from the first example of this kind of plot. And, at least i didn't fall asleep withjin the first 30 minutes of ME. L0L

"The fact that Sovreign turned out to be a reaper himself was a nice suprise"

I'm surprised that you are surprised because BIo gave away ME's main sotory in previews and stuff. As soon as Sorveign was introduced, and it was obvious it was a 'special' ship; I know it was one of those Big bad Evil Ships tm...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I fail to understand how ME's plot is any better than time traveling lizards. They start off with the whole "Ancient Race Behind It All" schtick, and then suddenly reveal that it isn't an ancient race that's responsible for everything, but rather an ancienter race...

awesome :ermm:

Also, character development is still the same forced, mechanical crap they've done in previous games.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Heh, they even recycled the jedi order into spectres.