California fires

jaguars4ever

Youtube or it didn't happen buddy. No, I kid. Didn't Bok have a thread about this very same topic a while back? I tried to go through his topic history, but came across this jem here and quickly abandoned all hope of finding said posts on the subject.

These fires are pretty common in CaLIforNia?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

And banging the side of the computer twice with your fist and saying 'Eyyyyy' like the Fonz didn't help? That's really weird!

I hope you play your tennis in an indoor court, pal. ;)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Ironically, XBL just sent me my annual email telling me to update my credit card information, again. I dunno, Don, I may be forced to jump ship to the 360 live account if I end up renewing it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

With luck the fires won't come your way, Jags. Has the government, state or federal, done anything to control these fires? Seriously, it feels like these fires have gone on next to forever.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

031027-f-6278k-165.jpg

It seems pretty harsh in there. That file also has tons of pictures of water plames, I guess they are doing something.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It doesn't seem enough since the fires are still raging. Between the fires and the occasional earthquakes I most definitely would not want to like there.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So how are my fellow SoCal homies holding up? Here's one brotha lookin' out for anotha. With my bling-bling Belt of Agility + 10 I've managed to dodge the worst of it, but my car is now covered in soot from the raining ash. :sad:

I blame your bling-bling Cape of Charisma + 5. Women just started to go too hot near and not so near of you.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Charisma + 5? Pfft, I crafted a + 8 in the OC.

As for the fires, I have a friend out there. And by friend, I mean someone I hung out with twice a few years back but still have on my AIM list even though I never talk with her or even use AIM.

I hope the winds die down. Though that doesn't seem like it's going to happen soon.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

yeah but not this bad.

NorCal is fine. I'll check the valley but it doesn't affect me that much. although my radio station is selling tickets to a show by rob thomas and sending the proceeds to the red cross.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Like Tale said, the wind is the killer out there. It's spreading the fire faster than it can be controlled and hampering air dops at the same time. Talk about a two edge sword. Firefighters from six states plus Navy and Marine Corps assets are hitting it around the clock. I just saw an article on cnn.com about a family in a shelter that saw their house burning on TV. I can not even imagine that.

Not for nothing but I'd bet a thousand dollars California's law against cutting fire breaks in public land gets changed after this.

All of the sudden hurricanes don't seem that bad.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've driven along the coastal highway before and stopped by a place called Neptune's Net for some seafood. Beautiful place and good food.

I really hope they can get this controlled soon though its impossible to control the wind, which seems like the main catalyst for the widespread fires.

:shifty:

Nothing like this has ever happened to California; the fires from 4 years ago do not even come close to this disaster. I took my wife and kid and left everything else behind; we are staying with relatives in Sun City which is a good 90 miles from San Diego. The winds seem to be dying down, which is good news. We hope to return home soon that is if we have a home to return to.

Here is more information about the San Diego fires if you are interested.

Updated 10/24 at 9:30 a.m.

1. HARRIS FIRE

Time started: 9:23 a.m. 10/21

Acreage:72,000 (10 p.m. 10/23)

Containment: 10 percent (10 p.m. 10/23) Containment expected: Nov. 4 (9 a.m. 10/23)

Cost: $1.3 million (10/23)

Homes burned: 200 to 500 homes destroyed or damaged (10 p.m. 10/23)

Injuries: 21 civilians, five firefighters (10 p.m. 10/23)

Deaths: 1 death related directly to the fire; any other deaths are only peripherally-related (10 p.m. 10/23) 1 (male Tecate resident, CMX gave ID 10/22 9:30 a.m.)

Firefighters: 1,210 firefighters (10 p.m. 10/23)

Engines: 65 (10/22 7 p.m.)

Air resources: 2 helicopters, 2 helitankers (9 a.m. 10/23)

Area: extreme southeast near Potrero - west of Harris Ranch Road. source: Cal Fire, 10/22

No. of evacuations: 1,500 (2:45 p.m. 10/23)

Cause: unknown

2. WITCH CREEK FIRE

Time started: 12:37 p.m. 10/21 in community of Witch Creek on SR 78 (Cal Fire 10/22 1 p.m.)

Acreage: 196,420 (10 p.m. 10/23)

Containment: 1 percent (9 a.m. 10/23)

Area: The fire is passing through several communities including parts of San Diego, Escondido Poway, Ramona, Lakeside, Valley Center, San Marcos, Rincon, Wildcat Canyon and Rancho Santa Fe, (10 p.m. 10/23) The fire is burning between Interstates 5 and 15 and is heading west towards the beach.

Containment expected:

Cost:

Homes burned: At least 480 structures destroyed and 65 damaged (10 p.m. 10/23)

Injuries: 12 firefighters (10 p.m. 10/23) Nine, 7 firefighters, 2 civilians. (9 a.m. 10/23)

Deaths: 0

Firefighters: 1,492 firefighters (10 p.m. 10/23)

Engines: 218 ( 9 a.m. 10/23)

Air resources: NO UPDATE Yet 10/23. six helos, five air attack planes - sharing with Harris Fire crews

No. of evacuations: 10,000+(10/22)

Evacuation Centers: Valley Center High School, Borrego Springs High School, Poway Community Center, Mira Mesa High School

Cause: possible downed powerline (under investigation on 10/22 1 p.m.)

3. RICE CANYON FIRE

Time started: 4:16 a.m. on 10/22 in Rice Canyon

Acreage: 7,500 acres (10 p.m. 10/23)

Containment: 10 percent (10 p.m. 10/23)

Containment expected:

Homes burned: 206 homes; two commercial properties, 40 outbuildings, 91 vehicles, 20,000 avocado trees (10 p.m. 10/23)

Injuries: 1 firefighter minor injury

Deaths: zero

Firefighters:170 (10 p.m. 10/23)

Engines:55 (10 p.m. 10/23)

Air resources:

Area: FALLBROOK and Western Rainbow. Fire hit Reche Road where Valley Oaks Mobile Home Park was largely destroyed, also large swaths of land between east Mission Road and Ranger Road. (10/23)

No. of evacuations:45,000

Cause: unknown

4. Poomacha fire

Merged with Witch Creek early today Time started: 4:10 a.m. on 10/23 in area of La Jolla Indian Reservation

Acreage: 20,000 acres (10 p.m. 10/23)

Containment: 0 percent (10 p.m. 10/23)

Containment expected:

Cost:

Homes burned: 60 homes destroyed (10 p.m. 10/23)

Injuries: 10 firefighters (10 p.m. 10/23)

Deaths: 0 (10 p.m 10/23)

Firefighters: 218 firefighters (10 p.m 10/23)

Engines: 15 (9 a.m. 10/23)

air resources:

No. of evacuations:

Area: Active in Highland Valley and Mt. Woodson area (2:19 pm. 10/23) Highway 76 and Pauma Valley (Thomas Brother Map Page 409 E7).The fire started on the La Jolla Indian Reservation. The fire has spread into Valley Center and Yellow Brick Road areas. (9 a.m. 10/23)

Neighborhoods evacuated: La Jolla Indian Reservation, All of Palomar Mountain (12:02 p.m. 10/23)

Cause: originated in a structure and spread into vegetation.

Road Closures

State Route 67 between Poway Road and Highland Valley Road

State Route 78 from Haverford Road to Santa Ysabel

Northbound five remains closed from the 76 into San Clemente.

State Route 78 at Bear Valley Parkway

State Route 94 at Steele Canyon Road to Forrest Gate Road

State Route 94 from Old Campo Road to state Route 54

State Route 79 from state Route 78 to state Route 76

State Route 76 from Cole Grade to state Route 79

State Route 76 from Mission Road to Old Highway 395

Mission Road off-ramps of Interstate 15 in both directions

Pomerado Road/West Bernardo Drive off-ramps of Interstate 15 in both directions

Obsidian is totally safe, and so far, all of us have been lucky enough to avoid fire damage to houses and what not, though a number of us could see fire from out bedroom windows. San Diego has been the worst hit so far. They had the bad luck of having the last fires to start, so while the first couple (sadly in Malibu) got lots of support, San Diego fire fighters have been on their own, and they're battling the two largest fires at the moment.

The winds have also slowed the ability to get tankers up in the air and dumping water and retardant chemicals. Federal support was a little slow, but not nearly as bad as other disaster support recently. Support from other states is supposed to start arriving today as well, which is a bit disappointing as well, but better late than never.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

SAN DIEGO (AP) - The devastating wildfires in Southern California have caused at least $1 billion in damage in San Diego County alone, officials said Wednesday, as easing wind gave firefighters hope that they could begin to gain ground against the flames.

The fires, in their fourth day, had destroyed 1,500 homes and caused at least a half-million people to flee - the largest evacuation in state history. At least 1,200 of the damaged homes were in San Diego County, and officials believe that number will rise.

"Clearly, this is going to be a $1 billion or more disaster," Ron Lane, San Diego County's director of emergency services, told reporters during a news conference.

How the hell do they come up with 1 BILLION dollars worth of damages? Every single home would have to average $666,666 in value. While I know San Diego is expensive I seriously doubt that number.

SAN DIEGO (AP) - The devastating wildfires in Southern California have caused at least $1 billion in damage in San Diego County alone, officials said Wednesday, as easing wind gave firefighters hope that they could begin to gain ground against the flames.

The fires, in their fourth day, had destroyed 1,500 homes and caused at least a half-million people to flee - the largest evacuation in state history. At least 1,200 of the damaged homes were in San Diego County, and officials believe that number will rise.

"Clearly, this is going to be a $1 billion or more disaster," Ron Lane, San Diego County's director of emergency services, told reporters during a news conference.

How the hell do they come up with 1 BILLION dollars worth of damages? Every single home would have to average $666,666 in value. While I know San Diego is expensive I seriously doubt that number.

Because it's not confined only to homes. Businesses, property (vehicles and non-developed land included), state property. And I think in their estimates of damages they're including costs for combating the blazes.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."