KOTOR III MMO Confirmed?

"If you are playing the same game over and over and over again it doesn't matter how good the game is. In the end it will just be boring and boring is never good. That is one of the reasons why I don't get the popularlity of the EA sport games. Its just the same game, with updated stats and little graphical improvement, than the last version. Its practifcally the same freaking game. Why pay another $60 for a game you are already playing? Makes no sense."

Play the original Madden, and then play this year's Madden then tell me with a striaght face that it's the 'same game'.

NHL series is another exmaple. I disliked NHL 07; but I LOVE NHL 08. Same game? I think not.

I just wnat good games. i don't care if it's a new IP, old IP, continuing of a series, etc., etc.

If it's fun, i wanna play it. If it's not ; i don't.

You don't care for sports games in the first palce so of course you don't know why sports fans would want to buy the 'same game' every year. The same as non RPG fans don't understand why RPG fans like buying games that, on the surface, are basically the same. Go through game, fight enemies, complete quests, level character, talk about crap, repeat.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Football is football.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

If you are playing the same game over and over and over again it doesn't matter how good the game is. In the end it will just be boring and boring is never good. That is one of the reasons why I don't get the popularlity of the EA sport games. Its just the same game, with updated stats and little graphical improvement, than the last version. Its practifcally the same freaking game. Why pay another $60 for a game you are already playing? Makes no sense.

I rather have a good Dragon Age 1 than a good KotOR 3, personally. I don't really consider KotOR 1 or 2 all that original in the first place, bing based on an existing IP. I just can't wait for a truly original game from Obsidian.

You just answered your own question :thumbsup:

(... and you're talking to a guy who's still playing NCAA 2005 because of all the storylines that developed in dynasty mode)

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

What is the big deal about sport statistics?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What is the big deal about sport statistics?

There's something to be said for updated rosters, acquired rookies, that sort of thing.

I think Omelette meant that the storyline of KOTOR was a bit common, whereas the storyline in TSL was more unorthodox..

Indeed.

I think the "common" (really clich

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

If they indeed produce a MMO KOTOR then that's the end of KOTOR as fas as I'm concerned.

There is noway I'm going to be paying a montly fee for a game that has no ending and you simply spend your time trying to level up!!!

Just produce a normal KOTOR 3 to conclude the trilogy and then bring on whatever crap you like to do...

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

• 2 months later...
I don't know the validity, but it's hit the front page of digg and would fit the rumors based on Bioware's new Austin studio for MMO.

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/...kotor-universe/

Think its close to either its a Kotor mmorpg or kotor3 or a new starwars product its pretty solid that they gonna be doing a new starwars universe game its confirmed by lucasarts more or less, check this link

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/release/news20071030.html

EDIT: shame thou if Obsidian arent gonna be doing kotor 3, thought kotor 2 was far better than kotor 1 i mean i thought there were alot more depths in kotor 2 than the first from bioware :)

Edited by Barzarel

It's quite likely that's talking about a Star Wars-related game, but there's also a chance it might be something else - Indiana Jones, for example.

I know this topic has been done to death already, but I'll just add my voice to the chorus.

There's already a Star Wars-based MMORPG (Galaxies). Making a second one with only very slight changes in setting (so fine, it's set 4000 years earlier, but it's all the same basic elements, with perhaps the exception that there is no Empire or remnant of the Empire and the Republic hasn't fallen or is in a state of being rebuilt) doesn't make much sense.

I've never played the existing one (in fact I've only in my life ever played two MMORPGs), and I understand one of the complaints was it was too hard to become a Jedi. Then I heard they nerfed that due to player complaints and as expected the galaxy is now overrun with thousands of them. :sweat:

I guess they could make the KOTOR setting very "low magic" (i.e. low Jedi) but I don't think it will be a player draw.

It's quite likely that's talking about a Star Wars-related game, but there's also a chance it might be something else - Indiana Jones, for example.

Possible could be a mmorpg thou, Bioware made a thread to employ people for a mmorpg, since most the successful mmorpg that more or less being done to death mainly focus around already existing content, it wouldnt be a far off bet they might be making Kotor into mmorpg.

Age of conan=focused on written material/conan comix books

World of Warcraft=based on warcraft series

Warhammer online= Focused on warhammer theme

Lord of the ring online= Focused on J.R tolkien

Nearly all those either very discussed or very played online games focused on already existing themes or storylinies, so wouldnt surprise me if Bioware figure Kotor being such a success to focus a online game on it.

Besides its hard for them to make something ground breaking as was promised that suppass the "the force unleashed" from what ive seen from it, and think making a indian jones game might be a huge dice roll given that last indian jones movie is long in the past and throwing on marked alot of titles related to it might be a big risk before Indian jones 4 hit the marked to check if it succeed or not at a triology sequel.

So guess i am most money on Kotor online, it wont be completely groundbreaking seeing as Starwars galaxy already exist, but they can still add to it suppose with new innovative thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this topic has been done to death already, but I'll just add my voice to the chorus.

There's already a Star Wars-based MMORPG (Galaxies). Making a second one with only very slight changes in setting (so fine, it's set 4000 years earlier, but it's all the same basic elements, with perhaps the exception that there is no Empire or remnant of the Empire and the Republic hasn't fallen or is in a state of being rebuilt) doesn't make much sense.

I've never played the existing one (in fact I've only in my life ever played two MMORPGs), and I understand one of the complaints was it was too hard to become a Jedi. Then I heard they nerfed that due to player complaints and as expected the galaxy is now overrun with thousands of them. :(

I guess they could make the KOTOR setting very "low magic" (i.e. low Jedi) but I don't think it will be a player draw.

SWG is a dying game,it's time they start to make another one.

I think that all MMORPGs are a dying gerne.

How can people be interested in playing a game without an ending??? and on top of that pay a montly fee.....

to me they just seem like a big waste of time and money.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I've never played the existing one (in fact I've only in my life ever played two MMORPGs), and I understand one of the complaints was it was too hard to become a Jedi. Then I heard they nerfed that due to player complaints and as expected the galaxy is now overrun with thousands of them. :)

SWG is a dying game,it's time they start to make another one.

Indeed - that's one of the reasons I think the Bioware/LucasArts collaboration will results in a MMO.

I think that all MMORPGs are a dying gerne.

All trends seem to indicate otherwise...

How can people be interested in playing a game without an ending??? and on top of that pay a montly fee.....

to me they just seem like a big waste of time and money.

To me it seems that way too, but than again to many people playing any computer games seems like a big waste of time and money, so judging based on one's personal feelings is not the best way to determine a "genre's" success.

As I said that was my personal opinion of MMORPGs.

And I completely share your opinion of MMORPGs, but that does not make them a dying 'genre' (unfortunately).

The only online game I enjoyed for a while was Counter-Strike.

I have not enjoyed any MMOs at all, as I have never played one and don't plan on playing one regardless of the franchise or alleged awesomness of the game in question.

Just how exactly SOMEONE can not know CS? :aiee:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Just a small thought on the "Bioware/LA MMO"

IIRC, SOE's license on SWG expires in a year or so. Could it be possible that when SOE's license expires, SWG (and all it's content and server data) goes to Bioware? They (Bioware) would need to bring in their own development and maintenance team for that game, and because (for developmental purposes) it's a finished product (the engine, models, animations, levels), there would be a very short developmental period for the Bioware devs.

In short, could Bioware's MMO with LA be in fact Star Wars Galaxies?

... I know, this has the same probability of Pok

DAWUSS

Just a small thought on the "Bioware/LA MMO"

IIRC, SOE's license on SWG expires in a year or so. Could it be possible that when SOE's license expires, SWG (and all it's content and server data) goes to Bioware? They (Bioware) would need to bring in their own development and maintenance team for that game, and because (for developmental purposes) it's a finished product (the engine, models, animations, levels), there would be a very short developmental period for the Bioware devs.

I'm not sure your scenario is likely. However, I will ask you and anybody else, assuming the other scenario is correct (they're going to release their own competing MMO)

1) if SWG is dying (I honestly don't know figures for membership), for what reasons is it dying?

2) what do you think a Bioware/LA/KOTOR MMO could do right that SWG did wrong? Otherwise isn't it entering a dying genre?

I haven't played, but again the one thing I heard from people is they got frustrated that SWG made it too easy for people to become Jedi. A KOTOR MMO could make it much harder, but I'm not sure that will attract more players, either.

Why is MMOs a dying genre?

I mean, ffs, World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, Lotr Online, millions of Korean small-morpgs, around two dozen recently announced new mmorpgs(including Tim Cain's new project). Taking all of that into account, I think it's only fair to say that we have a very healthy genre in our hands.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Why is MMOs a dying genre?

I mean, ffs, World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, Lotr Online, millions of Korean small-morpgs, around two dozen recently announced new mmorpgs(including Tim Cain's new project). Taking all of that into account, I think it's only fair to say that we have a very healthy genre in our hands.

Exactly.

I don't who in their right mind said that the MMO genre is a dying one, but whoever did is so...horrifyingly wrong. I mean, seriously. Have you even looked at mmorpg.com? Have you seen the sheer numbers of MMOs being released in North America in the next couple years? And that's not even counting how culturally phenomenal MMOs are in Asia. MMOs are actually considered an official sport over there, with government sanctioned events.

Yet, this is a dying genre??? How? That makes no sense to me at all.

I'm not trying to blindly defend MMOs because the genre does have some problems, I find. Not to mention there are some cultural challenges that MMOs face here in North America that might make certain MMOs difficult to market. But to say that it's a dying genre is like saying DVRs or MP3 players were all just a phase and are also dying out.