Bioshock!

Krookie

Good, I was pretty tired of the "hack everything, scrounge everything for nanites, hunt for chemical storages all the time"-routine by deck 4.

Best thing Irrational(or Looking Glass and legacy, including people at Rust Monkey, Floodgate, Bethesda, etc) has done with their games is instill atmosphere, intensity, dread, elation upon discovery, a sense of hanging to your life by a thread and still laughing. If Bioshock has successfully streamlined both fps and LGS-vibe into one game, I'm very content. Actually, extremely content, with it being an audiovisual blast as well.

Your positive attitude will break the internet.

+1

+7

I think I need to start over. I traded in my electro for the telekenesis, when I should have traded in incinerate. Now I can't hack any turrets or security bots until I get to a gene bank. :'(

Once you get the Ice blast, you won't need it anymore. Not only does it allow for hacking, but it lowers the speed of the water going through the pipes by half. The downside is that if you use it on an enemy and destroy them, you can't get anything from the bodies, ala flesh to stone. You'll bang your head against a wall should you use it against a big daddy.

I'm not hating it. It's been pretty good so far, but I'm not as wrapped up in the game as most probably will be, because I know how Irrational rolls with their narratives. I am getting pretty goddamn tired of hacking, though. And the Big Daddy's seem to be pretty easy to kill, at least on Normal difficulty. I've decided to go half and half with my Little Sister kills/saves.

Right now I'm in the "forest" part of the game. In the winery area there's a sculpted cheese wheel with a number of pebbles arranged in front of it, a nice little Pac-Man easter egg, if you can notice it.

And that "Circus of Values" thing is pretty annoying. I'm tempted to look up "Circus of Values", since I'm betting it's a philosophical term, perhaps Randian in origin. But I'm tired of that clown.

Oh, ffs. There's a rumor floating around that the Collector's edition (could be all versions) of Bioshock on both platforms is being delayed until the 31st of August, in Scandinavia atleast. So me, mkreku, kirottu, Xard, Rosbjerg, Kaftan and Musopticon are left in the dark.

Possibly.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's the date for the release of Bioshock in Portugal, Spain, and I think France, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the 31st was the release date in all of Europe except the UK.

Edit: The release date in France is, indeed, the 31st.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, my retailer (Webhallen) had Bioshock (all versions, all platforms) listed as 24/8 when I pre-ordered. When I checked my order a few days later it said 31/8 and I almost cancelled my order because at first I thought I had ordered too late and the CE was sold out. Then I noticed all versions had been changed to that date..

But when I checked right now it says 24/8 again. Who knows what's up.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Apparently, the release date in Italy is also the 31st. I'm willing to bet that this is the actual release date for continental Europe.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

I still haven't seen a Big Daddy or Little Sister beyond the first 2 that you can't fight.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The whole of Europe has been shafted now? Just great. If it weren't for the extra goodies that the CE offers, then i would buy it from steam this instant.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The whole of Europe has been shafted now? Just great. If it weren't for the extra goodies that the CE offers, then i would buy it from steam this instant.

Keep in mind that Steam is abiding by region release dates and times. In fact, it's getting a later time on release dates for this one.

Oh, ffs. There's a rumor floating around that the Collector's edition (could be all versions) of Bioshock on both platforms is being delayed until the 31st of August, in Scandinavia atleast. So me, mkreku, kirottu, Xard, Rosbjerg, Kaftan and Musopticon are left in the dark.

Possibly.

I won't be getting this anyway since there's no way my comp could run this beast :sad:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I bumped up my resolution to 1440x900 because the sub 1440 res isn't a 16:10 and it runs swell!

I do notice an occasional LOD drop, but that's almost exclusively when loading into the game.

Possibly.

I won't be getting this anyway since there's no way my comp could run this beast :sad:

Same thing. I fear I have to get a new 'puter to run Mafia 2 too. This one lasted for about 4 years.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm not hating it. It's been pretty good so far, but I'm not as wrapped up in the game as most probably will be, because I know how Irrational rolls with their narratives.

I think its quite good , but I'm not loving it as much as I expected too. Still firmly addicted and will probably replay many times, but the amazing intro sequences I suspect raised my expectations a bit too high. I'm starting to find the fights a little repetitive but maybe after I unlock some more plasmids or get more creative it will get better. I have to say the game reminds me a lot of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (albeit with a much better setting).

Edited by Zero

I played the demo while my 360 still worked. Wasn't bad. Just not my kind of game.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just got a mail form my resellers: "We would gladly report that your order has been dispatched from our warehouse in Sweden (wait, what?!)". Atleast it seems like the rumors of 31st release for europe were unfounded.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I just got a mail form my resellers: "We would gladly report that your order has been dispatched from our warehouse in Sweden (wait, what?!)". Atleast it seems like the rumors of 31st release for europe were unfounded.

I'm still only getting the game on the 31st...

Heja Sverige!!

Pros: DX10 Graphics and EAX 5.0 sound. It sucks you in big time. Loads of atmosphere and the weapons to match. One of the best set of levels I have ever played, from a visual standpoint. You feel you want to keep playing because you want to understand this world. Good voices and music.

Cons: As an FPS it seems a bit gimmicky with the tricks and spells and what not, and it always feels like you have low ammo. I could not help but just resort to throwing objects and corpses at enemies by the game's end. Combat just feels so freaken random, I prefer FEAR in terms of combat. Last boss should have been more creative. In game physics only animates at 25 fps, so objects look like they move laggy even if your fps is 60.

Conclusion: If a game was released that contained FEAR's combat in Bioshock's levels, the game would be perfect 10 in my book. As it stands now I still recommend Bioshock because it's got good levels and story (with an insane plot twist involving 3 words), and that makes you forgive the somewhat disappointing combat.

and it always feels like you have low ammo.

That's a pro in my book! :devil:

Heja Sverige!!

Im playing the Demo and the Art Design is very nice, but it just feels like a normal FPS. No "whoah, this is awesome!" feelings yet.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "