The experiences of a lowly playtester

Cantousent

I decided recently to take the plunge and get an inside look into the computer game design industry. I'd heard, many times from many people, that QA is a good entry level position to gain access to the field. I've also heard that, even then, it's quite difficult to break into design positions from QA. Well, whether or not I decide to stay with game design, I'm here now exploring the experience and I thought I'd record some of my thoughts for all two of you who actually read anything I write around here. (Yes, I'm including myself in that number.)

Okay, first things first. I won't say what title I'm playtesting right now. I won't even tell you the developer. If you guess, I won't tell you if you're right or wrong. I won't blink once if you get it right. I won't give a slight shake of my head if you get it wrong. I won't try to give you the name of the developer in a clever game of charades. It's as simple as that. I've had my doubts as to whether it's responsible on my part to start a thread on the issue in the first place. I don't think it is, but I'm going to be cautious, even though I doubt it would really matter in the least. On the other hand, I will be entirely honest, for which reason I would rather remain anonymous.

This is my second week on the job, although my first week started on Wednesday. That means that my voice of experience has three entire days backing it. Yes, I can tell you everything about the industry now. One thing I can tell you right away is that you would not take a playtesting position for the cash. It makes less than half as much money as my previous job. That's okay. I'm one of those

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

:ermm:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Developers aren't going to have the resources to employ a full compliment of QA testers; most of the time they would be sitting around like vertex shaders during an indoor-scene rendering. At least the creatives are worth keeping on salary, as they contribute more than their investment ...

Also, as a long-term contractor, I can tell you that this is just as useful as an entry vector into a company as any other (low-level or otherwise) job.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes, it's still possible to start low and work up. If you've got some skills, a good personality, and a good work ethic, you'll get noticed and the trip up the ranks can be quicker than you imagined. Sometimes you have to wait for mediocre people to get weeded out, but time has a way of taking care of that for you, especially in a competitive company. The important thing is that you got your foot in the door. What happens next is up to you. Depending on how much of a "free spirit" you are, you may or may not be able to get hired directly by the company. They usually don't want to hire anyone who isn't willing to stick around for a long time.

three.

taks

I also occasionally venture out of the music thread to read the work of Cant, the philosopher.

ha ha ha...

But seriously, carry on. I always like to hear about the quirks of different workplaces. One business-type I talked to recently had a slide installed in his company's workplace from the mezzanine to the office floor. It builds company culture and creates a fun work environment, he says.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I won't say what title I'm playtesting right now. I won't even tell you the developer. If you guess, I won't tell you if you're right or wrong. I won't blink once if you get it right. I won't give a slight shake of my head if you get it wrong. I won't try to give you the name of the developer in a clever game of charades. It's as simple as that.

Your NDA forbids you to tell people where you work? Or are you just teasing us?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

@Child: No, I applied for an adjunct faculty position at Cal Baptist. I did not get the professor position, but they did hire me. I worked there one school year a few years ago. I'm lucky enough to have the luxury to try a bunch of different things. My wife really doesn't care where I work or if I work at all.

@Kaftan: No, I just don't care to share the developer. Plus, you're a swine. That was just a general comment, not really related to your question. :Cant's being mean to Kaftan icon:

I suppose I will have to divulge one thing. The game on which I toil is an RPG.

EDIT: Poffesor. See why I didn't get it? haha

EDIT 2: You know I was just joking with you, Kaftan. Right? :D

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I watched "Grandma's Boy" a few months ago. It was about a professional video game tester. It was silly and not realitic in most parts, but I was surprised how many things it got right about the gaming industry, at least from what I've heard.

Funny. The one constant is that I still use my lunch hour to come to this forum, which I've been doing for years. You'd think, having a game to play, that I would play during my lunch hours, but no. I suppose I could install a different game on my computer and play it during breaks, but I haven't been tempted to do even that so far. The most addictive game around is the Obsidian Forum Community. OFC

So, I thought I'd mention something of my interview. I contacted someone at the company for some advice on the matter and this person forwarded my information to the QA department. Very nice. I like being rewarded for initiative. Doing this sort of thing has served me well over the years. Okay, so the QA person writes and says they would like to interview me. That's well enough. Then the assistant producer (or is associate. I can never keep these things straight) writes with more specifics. Great. I have an interview.

I decided to dress appropriately for an interview. I wasn't sure if I'd be over dressed, but I figured I'd take the chance.

hahaha I walk into the receptionists office in a cashmere suit. I said to the receptionist,

Obsidian Plays

So, I go through the interview process. I guess that story will also wait for another time as lunch is just about over. I had a lot of fun at the interview. :D

What a tease. You can't just leave us hanging like that! :sorcerer:

They hired you after you turned up to an interview dressed like that? :sorcerer:

Why not? It's a perfectly business appropriate suit.

Obsidian Plays

Hmmm. Easy contact with the staff, Orange County, RPG...

ZOMG OBSIDIAN ZOMGZ

That would mean he's probably testing the Alien RPG! 4xZOMG + >_<

Which is in preproduction last I read so ZOMG... He's playing a game that isn't even ready for ALPHA testing.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Cant' is magic.. he's like the David Copperfield of game testers! He's probably opened a timeportal to test the game. Which means that Stephen Hawkins is on the team as well..

wow Cant's life is stranger than fiction!

--

Anyway sounds interesting - I'm looking foward to your next update. Playing games and getting money for it must be a wet dream for many gamers here :giving Mkreku the evil stare:

Fortune favors the bald.

Cant' is magic.. he's like the David Copperfield of game testers! He's probably opened a timeportal to test the game. Which means that Stephen Hawkins is on the team as well..

--

Anyway sounds interesting - I'm looking foward to your next update. Playing games and getting money for it must be a wet dream for many gamers here :giving Mkreku the evil stare:

I don't think I'd like to play-test games. From what I've heard you play the several sections over and over again, documenting each step of the way...doesn't sound too much fun.

However playing a finished game and writing a review on it...that doesn't sound so bad. also :giving Mkreku the evil stare: >_<

I watched "Grandma's Boy" a few months ago. It was about a professional video game tester. It was silly and not realitic in most parts, but I was surprised how many things it got right about the gaming industry, at least from what I've heard.

How badly they screwed up the whole process in that movie was part of the comedy though. I liked that the games were designed, written, programmed, etc. by one guy, then had a 30 man QA team to test it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't think I'd like to play-test games. From what I've heard you play the several sections over and over again, documenting each step of the way...doesn't sound too much fun.

However playing a finished game and writing a review on it...that doesn't sound so bad. also :giving Mkreku the evil stare: >_<

I think you've got a point. On the other hand, it's nice to be able to see something wrong with a game and try to change it BEFORE release. How many of you complain about bugs and design desicions in your games?

I agree with much of your statement, Azure, but there are some really cool things about testing. Anyhow, I'll get to the actual interview in the morning tomorrow.

Obsidian Plays

On the one hand, for me personally, I think it'd be a cool job - the being a part of the process kind of thing.

On the other side, I'd be afraid that if playing games was my job, I'd eventually start to go home and rarely want to play them on my own time. :D

Sounds like a great experience to have, tho, and I'm sure I'd try it if I had a chance.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They hired you after you turned up to an interview dressed like that? :(

Why not? It's a perfectly business appropriate suit.

With exception of black tie, it's rarely a bad idea to go to a meeting overdressed. If you misguage it horribly you can always claim you have another meeting directly afterwards.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

--

However playing a finished game and writing a review on it...that doesn't sound so bad. also :giving Mkreku the evil stare: :)

Business (especially software design!) has a large element of due diligence, which is all that QA is. As for playing versus other QA, I can't see it being a big problem; though I wonder if joypad-blisters are then a business medical expense ... :("

Playing the game section over and over would allow you to stress test various elements; heck the designers might even take constructive comments from the QA, like "it would be really neat if you could open all the doors in the apartment block, and have some sort of trash to loot", etc.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT