Books

metadigital

Time for another look into the library habits of the forumites.

Here is my reading list from the last month or so (I was finally overcome with annoyance at not reading a lot of the books I wanted to, and also I wanted to finish off some of the ones that I have been sitting on for a while; reading at night before bed is a poor time to do so: much better now I spend some time during the day dedicated to reading):

What's everyone else been reading, I wonder.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I haven't finished a book in a while, but I did manage to burn through Under The Mat this weekend. It basically shatters all my illusions of pro wrestlers being nice people. Damn good read, and damn you Dynamite Kid!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

You should review it ("Be the first person to review this item.")!

It's always interesting to see the microcosms of society echo the human opera; in fact it's almost necessary to experience them this way, lest we be swamped by too much information and miss a lot of what's going on. :rolleyes:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I just sent The Final Solution, by Michael Chabon, back to the library. It was a good, quick detective story.

Good to see the Aga Khan doing something with all that money he stole.

I am going to read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Primarily because it has a colourful cover (not the one in wiki).
When the book was released, the bombing of Dresden was not widely known and was rarely discussed by veterans and historians. The book led to an increased awareness of the bombings and a reevaluation of the justifications given for aerial bombing of cities by the Allies during the war.

Excerrent. :rolleyes:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Half way throuhg the first of the song of ice and fire books (i've read it once already) and giving thought to reading Black Company again.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I just sent The Final Solution, by Michael Chabon, back to the library. It was a good, quick detective story.

Good to see the Aga Khan doing something with all that money he stole.

Not a fan, meta? I can't comment on Chabon too much, I know he won a Pulitzer for The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and I thought about picking that one up... but I wasn't in the market for a full-length novel at the time. The subject matter in The Final Solution interested me more, anyway.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I finished reading the last few chapters of Steven Erikson's The Bonehunters last night. I can't say I enjoyed it quite as much as the previous book in the series, Midnight Tides, but even so, it was still a great read and left me eager to dig into the next installment in the Malazan Book of the Fallen epic due out in April.

I've since started reading Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay, but I haven't read nearly enough of it to form a solid opinion about it yet, good or bad.

I'm reading a very interesting book on the creation of the Roman Empire.

It is by a Japanese author named Shiono Nanami. The book is called, "Res Gestae Populi Romani" and its been translated into Korean, the version I am reading. I've always been interested in Chinese and Asian history, but realized one day I know next to nothing about the Roman history. Seemed like a good place to start.

Im currently proofreading the manual for a new series of FFT analyzer we launched. This is one of my least favorite activities as it tends to make me "glaze over" and start skimming which is exactly what I cant do while looking for errors and correcting Jenglish (Japanese English) translations. Oh the humanity.

I'm rereading "Schutz." It's the best introductory book on General Relativity there is.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I just finished The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

I can't believe you managed to finish that book. It was far too far into the realm of fantasy for me. Tossed it after about fifty pages. :)

Currently reading the Birthday Stories anthology (compiled by Murakami, and he wrote one of them, too).

I'm rereading "Schutz." It's the best introductory book on General Relativity there is.

RE-reading it? Can't be that good, then. ;)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm just reading it for fun while on vacation. ;)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergen. It's about Magellan and his bid to reach the Spice Islands by circumnavigating the globe. Excellent book, and very interesting if you have any interest in history or sailing. Also reading How Dogs Think, Understanding the Canine Mind by Stanley Coren. Just started that one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just finished The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

I can't believe you managed to finish that book. It was far too far into the realm of fantasy for me. Tossed it after about fifty pages. :)

The ending wasn't any good, just weird. Still... I liked the story and the premise. I need to go to the library and find new books soon, im almost done with Hyperion too, i like it! :)

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Haven't read anything in a while sadly but the last book I read was The Count of Monte Cristo. Definitely one of my favorite books besides David Copperfield and Dean Koontz before I realized all his books were basically the same.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.