Dragon Age Screens

karka

I'm glad they had her wait on Gordon, because I'm not a twitch-reflex crack-speed FPS player, nor do I have a short attention span so I often take time to enjoy the surroundings or wait and see what happens next, if anything.

What does that necessarily have to do with anything? Her "hurrying up Gordon" could easily have made sense from a story standpoint. I have no issues with the pacing of Half-Life 2, but there are many times that the amount of "freedom" a game will give you takes away from the urgency of the whole situation. "Oh no, it's a big giant meteor coming towards the planet! I'm going to hang out at the Golden Saucer in the mean time." I was enjoying Final Fantasy VII (and still did enjoy it), but when I realized that the urgency was all just a facade, it lost a bit of its lustre.

While I may be a decent enough "twitch-reflex crack-speed FPS player" (given the large number of games I play, it couldn't really be helped), I certainly don't consider myself to have a short attention span. One of the things I really hated in the original Splinter Cell is when I lost a mission because I was responding to Lambert's urgency that some event not be televised. Because I didn't bother hiding the odd body, I "set off alarms" (which was a retarded mechanic in the game), because I figured that rescuing the hostages was of the utmost priority.

Seriously, simply labelling someone that might not hate the urgency as having a "short attention span" would be like saying people that don't want it have ADD or something.

I preferred that she didn't hurry you along, because I played HL2 like I play all my FPS - slow and steady with the need to explore every nook and cranny. HL2 is no Painkiller or Serious Sam, so I don't get Wistrik's insistence that he doesn't play the game in a way that as far as I can see isn't really accommodated for.

Anyway, I don't like it when characters tell me I have to hurry if the game allows me to take as much time as I want. If I remember correctly I was told I really needed to hurry just before the segment with the buggy, but that part felt so damn long that I forgot what it was I was supposed to be doing. Of course I didn't like the vehicle segments so they probably felt longer than they actually were.

I am interested in this game, but I hope that Bioware use the facial expressions and such during dialogue to enhance the dialogue and back up well written speech options. IE: No mass effect "GRAB HIS COLLAR" and "I NEED MORE BODYBAGS!".

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

This interview was rather well-received on these boards. And this was absolutely not the case on RPGCodex... Why all this hatred??? Dragon Age looks quite promising and I will definitely buy it (oh noes, I am becoming a BIO fanboy... :lol:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Judging by the screen shots, the graphics look good. :lol:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Hmm.. I don't like what I am hearing. Getting rid of text, party based adventuring, third layer? Sounds a bit suspect to me. The Origin stories sounds cool though.

And the only "screenshot" I liked was this one:

screenshot_174683.jpg

Although I suspect they are renders and not actual screenshots. Like the ones you saw from Gothic 3 before the game was released..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This interview was rather well-received on these boards. And this was absolutely not the case on RPGCodex... Why all this hatred??? Dragon Age looks quite promising and I will definitely buy it (oh noes, I am becoming a BIO fanboy... :lol:

Why am I not surprised? In any case I am going to reserve judgement on Dragon Age till more information is release.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, I was wrong. :lol:

Now I am reserving judgement. :no:

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I'm glad they had her wait on Gordon, because I'm not a twitch-reflex crack-speed FPS player, nor do I have a short attention span so I often take time to enjoy the surroundings or wait and see what happens next, if anything.

What does that necessarily have to do with anything?

When did I apply those things to you, or specifically to anyone else here? That was an attempt at a humorous description of what I'm not, based on what I've seen and experienced in other players over the years (who are usually much better than I am in FPS games). If the shoe doesn't fit, don't get excited about it. :lol:

And the only "screenshot" I liked was this one:

Although I suspect they are renders and not actual screenshots. Like the ones you saw from Gothic 3 before the game was released...

I like that one too, as it reminds me of the Ultima games. Even if it is a marketing render, the game is probably capable of doing it. Just depends on how powerful (and capable) the hardware is.

Based on screens only, I'd give the graphics a 7/10 or thereabouts. Decent enough, nothing revolutionary.

The top picture makes me think of Diablo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This interview was rather well-received on these boards. And this was absolutely not the case on RPGCodex... Why all this hatred???

I don't think it's really a case of hatred. More like absolute frustration with gaming sites assuming that every technological novelty or gameplay gimmick is a revolution that will face the change of gaming when aside from very specific cases, gaming is still very much the same thing. Just as an example I still remember the hype about Geomod during the development of Red Faction, and how destructible environments were all the shizzle and would allow for new ways of interactive environments. Red Faction came out, the system was largely a gimmick, and the concept itself hasn't really flourished a whole lot in games. In terms of shooters, you're still largely forced through a given path and destructible or interactive environments are arbitrary. Hopefully games like Crysis can change this tendency of gameplay being far behind design.

In the case of facial expressions, it's not only technically unimpressive - even Fallout did this and it's often decried as a game lacking in graphical power - they're not doing anything that simple dialogue or dialogue combined with statistical modifiers can't do better.

We'll begin to understand motivations instinctively; rather than digesting dialogue and calculating our next move, we'll feel what is the right way to proceed.

I suppose some people find it hard to understand a character is happy when they say it, but find it much more intuitive when they smile. Right.

Getting rid of dialogue and statistics to understand an NPC must sound pretty rad, but when you remove a PC's ability to infer a character's true intentions by such statistical methods as insight, perception or wisdom, how do you transmit the concept of characters who can hide their emotions? How do you allow players to divine their true intentions by simply looking at them? What happens to dialogue options that were specifically created for PCs who managed to see through an NPCs lie? To me this suggests two scenarios: either every NPC will need to be terribly obvious in their intentions so as to allow gamers to "understand motivations instinctively", or there will be dozens of dialogue options per NPC that can make up for every possible appraisal.

I want to smell an NPC's BO and farts. That would be a freaking gaming revolution.

NPC: Hey, <pc_name>, how are you. Oh wait, oops, I farted.

PC: Ewwww. Yeah, you don't need to say anything. I can smell it. Stop smiling. Weirdo.

gogo gaming revolutions!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The top picture makes me think of Diablo.

Yeah, Diablo in Diablo 2, or Darkness in the 1985 movie Legend.

I haven't thought of Legend in a long time...and yeah...I agree.

Also, the Horned Reaper from DungeonKeeper2... :D Except blue, of course.

I guess most "evil demon dudes" are depicted in rather similar fashion.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I want to smell an NPC's BO and farts. That would be a freaking gaming revolution.

NPC: Hey, <pc_name>, how are you. Oh wait, oops, I farted.

PC: Ewwww. Yeah, you don't need to say anything. I can smell it. Stop smiling. Weirdo.

gogo gaming revolutions!

and your assissin just failed their sneak attack ... or if it's strong enough just wiped out the entire enemy force

"Getting rid of text"

Eh? <_<

"In the case of facial expressions, it's not only technically unimpressive - even Fallout did this and it's often decried as a game lacking in graphical power - they're not doing anything that simple dialogue or dialogue combined with statistical modifiers can't do better."

Sure, it's impressive, if what they say is accurate. FO's facial expressions were rather basic and 'just there'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I preferred that she didn't hurry you along, because I played HL2 like I play all my FPS - slow and steady with the need to explore every nook and cranny. HL2 is no Painkiller or Serious Sam, so I don't get Wistrik's insistence that he doesn't play the game in a way that as far as I can see isn't really accommodated for.

I agree. As I said I had no issue with the pacing of Half-Life 2. It probably didn't hurt that you were flying solo for most of the game. And I agree that it's a significantly slower paced experience than Painkiller or Serious Sam (of which I had only playing the latter, and only in MP.....if you haven't done this...you should! :D)

Anyway, I don't like it when characters tell me I have to hurry if the game allows me to take as much time as I want. If I remember correctly I was told I really needed to hurry just before the segment with the buggy, but that part felt so damn long that I forgot what it was I was supposed to be doing. Of course I didn't like the vehicle segments so they probably felt longer than they actually were.

Constant nagging is annoying. The issue I tend to have more is when the game insists that something is insanely urgent, and then does nothing to indicate that it is.

It's also nice to know that the esteemed Hades no longer belives DA is vapourware. All it took was a pile of repetetive articles that tells us things we mostly already knew. L0L

Edited by Volourn

It's also nice to know that the esteemed Hades no lonmger belives DA is vapourware. All it took was a pile of repetetive articles taht tells us things we mostly already knew. L0L

But we all know that we cannot trust gaming companies own message boards for info. Those places are filled with dirty lies.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

There is nothing wrong with being cautious.

Cautious is one thing; writing a game off as vapour war after just a couple of years with very little articles 9though a heck of a lot of info released) is beyond silly. Espicially with BIO's rep of never cancelling an announce dgame, Mr. Gaider working on it (yeah, they're gonna have one of their Senior Writers who likely gets paid more than most playing tiddlywinks on agame they didn't plan to release), and the fact the company has a habit of taking 3-5 years to develop games.

R00fles!

P.S. Ah well.. at leats you admitted your error. :verymad:

Yes, and the game isn't released yet so anything can happen. Just because Bioware hasn't canceled an announced game doesn't mean it won't happen. There is always a first time for everything. :verymad: