Canada is spying on the US!!!

Arkan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070111/ap_on_hi_te/spy_coins_10

WASHINGTON - Money talks, but can it also follow your movements?

In a U.S. government warning high on the creepiness scale, the Defense Department cautioned its American contractors over what it described as a new espionage threat: Canadian coins with tiny radio frequency transmitters hidden inside.

The government said the mysterious coins were found planted on U.S. contractors with classified security clearances on at least three separate occasions between October 2005 and January 2006 as the contractors traveled through Canada.

Intelligence and technology experts said such transmitters, if they exist, could be used to surreptitiously track the movements of people carrying the spy coins.

The U.S. report doesn't suggest who might be tracking American defense contractors or why. It also doesn't describe how the        Pentagon discovered the ruse, how the transmitters might function or even which Canadian currency contained them.

Further details were secret, according to the U.S. Defense Security Service, which issued the warning to the Pentagon's classified contractors. The government insists the incidents happened, and the risk was genuine.

"What's in the report is true," said Martha Deutscher, a spokeswoman for the security service. "This is indeed a sanitized version, which leaves a lot of questions."

Top suspects, according to outside experts: China, Russia or even France

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

THey might know about our invasion plans :lol:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I prefer the CBC version.

I especially like this part:

[sNIP]

Makes no sense

The likely need for such a reading device means the doctored coins could be used to track people only in a controlled setting, not over long distances, said Chris Mathers, a security consultant and former undercover RCMP officer.

"From a technology perspective, it makes no sense," he said. "To me it's very strange."

Then there's the obvious problem: what if the coin holder plunks the device into a pop machine?

"You give the guy something with a transmitter that he's going to spend

Edited by Deraldin

Because you have brain cancer? :lol:

On topic: :crazy:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Be careful Canada. If you piss us off we'll take away another one of your hockey teams. How about the New Orleans Maple Leafs? :)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We should invade. They might have WMDs.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, the fact you have them makes you a more viable target to invade than lets say... Iraq was. DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :sorcerer:

Oh, wait. We don't actually invade countries that have been confirmed to have WMDs, like North Korea. Silly me. :crazy:

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Iraq was confirmed to have WMDs. That was the whole reason why they were ordered to destroy them. LOL It would seem odd for the Un to order Iraq to destroy soemthing they don't have or for Sadda, to admit to having them. Not to mention the fact Iraq has used WMD so it is a fact they had them.

As for the topic, it's an odd way to go about spying on your neighbour. While it seems silly for Kanada to spy on the US and vice versa. I'm sure they both do it as a matter of course.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

When did Iraq use WMDs when the US invaded?

Back on topic. :shifty:
As for the topic, it's an odd way to go about spying on yoru neighbour. While it seems silly for Kanada to spy on the US and vice versa. I'm sure they both do it as a matter of course.

It's probably the Chinese. :ph34r:

wouldn't doubt it... and microsoft probably designed whatever software the chinese use in conjunction with the transmitters.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

and with the amount of canadian money that is accepted in the US as legit it's surprising. I am not kidding you... go up to Canada, make change for a couple of dollars, and start slipping them into your change when you pay for somthing. You'd be surprised how many people accept them, I've gotten several from rolls that were made by the bank.

Other forms of currency that are similar to the US coin are used (I got one that looks almost russian back has a giant five and the word KO(II)EEK the II is connected at the top.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

and with the amount of canadian money that is accepted in the US as legit it's surprising. I am not kidding you... go up to Canada, make change for a couple of dollars, and start slipping them into your change when you pay for somthing. You'd be surprised how many people accept them, I've gotten several from rolls that were made by the bank.

Other forms of currency that are similar to the US coin are used (I got one that looks almost russian back has a giant five and the word KO(II)EEK the II is connected at the top.)

And I bet that when you go make change for those few dollars that you'll get a few US coins as well. :lol:

(I got one that looks almost russian back has a giant five and the word KO(II)EEK the II is connected at the top.)

The word 'Kopyek' is the Russian equivelent to dollar.

This sound like BS but if it is true and they are using the exterior metal of the coin as the transmitting 'antenna', a simple trip to the nearest microwave would destroy the internals of the device. This will BTW, also destroy any hidden RDF chips that are being considered being added to clothing and what-not. Can't have Sears 'seeing' what size and colour of Victoria's Secrets underwear that Sand is wearing that day. :lol:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.