NWN2 Professional Reviews Thread

Volourn

in the wake of newer, better alternatives

What alternatives was the guy talking about?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

But in the second paragraph he says that NWN2 lacks storytelling and character development because of D&D, and I assume that when referring to "better alternatives" he's talking about this two specific areas. Oblivion, however is kind of lacking precisely in those two areas. It makes no sense.

Heja Sverige!!

Did anyone read the original 1UP review, whats the deal? Was it negative?

It was generally just a long rant about how he hated crpgs because they had (oh woes!) numbers and stats and stuff in them. Something like that should not occur in a modern game because it interfers with the action. And he was most disappointed with it's action game qualities.

Slightly paraphrased, but that was the gist of his review.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I like the NWN2 toolset overall; but the way it shows the map ons cren is rather poor. I'd love to be able to see the entire map clearly. And, the undo button beeds to be finaggled. <> I still haven't found an easy way to remove things that I want to get rid of (be it palceables, terrain, or whatever). But, the new way of adding mixed terrain is cool, and everything else is very manageable.

:x

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 weeks later...

*Bumpp*

The imminently respectable Onion AV Club review: B- grade.

The overall tone of the (kinda short) review is pretty positive, but of course the reviewer takes issue with the high-maintenance engine, although he names slow framerates as a necessary evil to be endured in the face of spectacular battle effects. No mentions of actual game mechanics. Likes the story, loves the character dynamics.

Excerpt:

Obsidian's touting an updated graphics engine, but what exactly is new about it is hard to discern...other than that it runs like crap, even on high-end systems. I played the game on two different gaming PCs, and in both cases had to suffer, at times, through slideshow speed and terrible stuttering even with almost all the graphics options turned off and running in a ludicrous 800x600 resolution -- simply unacceptable performance, especially for an RPG that still looks about two years old no matter what supposed "enhancements" were made. Comparing the uninspired and featureless character models and environments here to a game like Company of Heroes, it's impossible to see (literally!) what the heck's bogging this game down.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155234

See above Link.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

We have our NWN 2 review up with over 15 new in-game OC screenshots! Here is a snip:

The Electron Engine

As you can see by our new screenshots for this review the new FX engine is amazing. I have read other reviews that claimed the new engine looked dated out of the box. I am perplexed by such statements. Again I refer you to the screens shots I took in game as evidence and draw your own conclusions. But I was VERY happy with the visual art direction Obsidian went with NWN 2. It is a more grounded, realistic gritty approach unlike classic NWN. I and many others have posted in the forums to various developers on the art team to have a more Lord of the Rings type approach and they certainly heard our pleas. The default clothing and look of the towns appear more low fantasy such as the Conan and LotR movies then the ultra-high fantasy styles of classic NWN. So I send kudos to the NWN 2 art team on this subject. They in my opinion did a wonderful job.

The monsters also look well done and I like some of the more organic look to some of them. For example in NWN 1 the elemental monsters looks just like large humanoid shapes made of the element in question. Here, a air elemental looks just a spheroid gust of wind tossing small debris about. Or a fire elemental which has no real discernable body shape, just a flaming pillar of fire.

Some of the classic monsters are missing (Medusa comes to mind), and ones we knew were in development earlier (We were told the Owlbear was in development about a year ago for example) did not seem to make the cut sadly. But one can

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Good read.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It's quite superficial and it doesn't seem to be very well written. However I can more or less agree with the few points he makes except for the bits about the inventory and the radial menu. Also, the guy doesn't seem to be aware that you can pause the game.

Heja Sverige!!

Yeah, sort of like he decided it was okay if released in 2004, but it wasn't so time to move on.

I agree it's got performance issues, but Obsidian is working on those. My computer is apparently less powerful than his, being just on the verge of the 'recommended specs', yet I can play the game just fine at 1024x768 with shadows set to Low, point shadows off, soft shadows off, and water effects off. Hopefully further improvements will allow me to enable environment shadows at least, as that would make the most impact on how realistic the game world appears. Regardless, I plan on upgrading my hardware due to other games and the fact that my own NWN2 modules will probably require more power than the average OC module will. (I'll allow full map exploration on every map, for one thing.)

The lip movements aren't as accurate as those of Half Life 2, but NWN2's characters have teeth and a tongue which is a nice touch. Some models lack textures inside their cheeks so you can see through them though. I believe Kana is one such character.

I've learned to use pausing to target accurately, at least until Obsidian improves that particular issue. It's also useful for reading the

truename scroll

and doing other things.

I still think the game deserves at least an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. If nothing else, the OC has shown me an example of what's possible with the toolset, so I'm looking forward to using that.

It's quite superficial and it doesn't seem to be very well written. However I can more or less agree with the few points he makes except for the bits about the inventory and the radial menu. Also, the guy doesn't seem to be aware that you can pause the game.

you can't pause in mp. 'course, we not care how slick the reviewer thought the radial were for nwn, in mp you is using hotkeys and quickslots, not radial.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Weird. NWN2 took pausing out of MP? Hmm... That's just dumb. That is if youa ctually know what youa re talking about and have tried MP in NWN2. I'd be surprised if you couldn't pause in MP *unless* the host disabled it. The option is likely still there. If it isn't, that's foolishness.

Weird. NWN2 took pausing out of MP? Hmm... That's just dumb. That is if youa ctually know what youa re talking about and have tried MP in NWN2. I'd be surprised if you couldn't pause in MP *unless* the host disabled it. The option is likely still there. If it isn't, that's foolishness.

is not a matter of whether or not pause is possible in mp. no pw we plays on, nor any legit mp session has pausing. 6 different people (or dozens for pws) all able to initiate pause? idiotic. pause is not practical for mp.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sure it is. For small group campaigns led by a DM. game over. Only an idiot would think there is no practical pause in MP. Period.

Edited by Volourn

Sure it is. For small group campaigns led by a DM. game over. Only an idiot would think there is no practical pause in MP. Period.

sorry vol, but it doesn't work... not with 6 or even 4 folks all able to stop game on a whim. makes us wonder if you ever played mp nwn.

HA! Good Fun!

*chuckle*

common sense and reason is considered wacky by vol? go figure.

HA! Good Fun!