NWN2: Major disappointment - Character creation

Riftworm

Put your hands together for Joe and J.E. :(

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

One thing about the above posted review is that we cannot be sure of what build he was actually playing.  As I have heard, some European reviewers played builds that were not the release candidates, and might have contained bugs that were not in the actual release.

minor spark of hope gets bigger that there is an other version with less problems :(

IB1OsQq.png

When every creature in the game scales with you, when every item found or contained is randomized to said level, and when every cave, forest and city looks the same, what's the incentive for exploring? How is that well done?

I'm not going to start defending Oblivion's design choices. I may not agree with all of them, but I didn't terribly mind the scalable creatures. It kept the difficulty of the game at an even level and me on my toes (although I did definitely feel my character grow stronger with higher skills and better equipment regardless of the scaling). Others hated it, and that's up to them. I do know that I would have hated to fight droves of goblins that fell to a single chop of my sword when I was level 40.

As for the similar caves, I just didn't think it was that bad. There were five different types of dungeons and as far as I can tell not two within each subset were identical. Sure, the architecture was the same, but not the layouts. I didn't think it got old until I started tiring of the actual gameplay (which was some 120 hours in or so).

One thing I must object to though is the claim that the cities were identical. The cities looked and felt vastly different from each other. The Imperial City and Bruma, for example, had nothing in common. In fact, this is the only fantasy game I've played where cities have actually felt like cities and not just a gathering of houses. The BGs came close though, I'll give them that.

So I ended up defending Oblivion after all. But these are just my experiences with the game. Anyway, the point I was making in the first post wasn't really that Oblivion was a great game (although I did put that in there so I got what I deserved) but that it and NWN2 shouldn't be judged by the same criteria because they are so vastly different games.

On topic: While there may be more options present (or not, I really don't know) when it comes to character creation in NWN2 compared to the original, I think Obsidian did themselves a disservice when they moved away from the 2D portraits. If I can have a cool looking portrait to represent my character, then the appearance of the actual avatar doesn't matter as much. But if the avatar is the only physical representation of the character available within the game, I would like to have as much ability to customize it as possible. The lack thereof is by no means a deal breaker for me, it just would have been nice. But I do think keeping the portraits would have kept away a lot of complaints.

(at least provided they were of higher quality than the ones in the original NWN, those were really ugly)

Just don't hit him in the face. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Nah, Dark Raven. :D

If Bethesda continues there pattern of game making found in the TES games, the CoC game, and the PotC game, then I have to agree with her assessment but I will wait to make a final judgment till more information is released. Like I said, Shadowstrider, there is an off chance Bethesda might make a proper Fallout 3 but its more likely that they won't.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Fallout 3? -5

NWN2? 8 Lost two points for not delivering on time here in the States.

LOL! Credibility.

It makes sense. I mean, if NWN2 lost 2 points for being a few months late, how many points do you think FO3 loses for being a few years late? :D

sidenote: think about SW episode 1-3

IB1OsQq.png

It makes sense. I mean, if NWN2 lost 2 points for being a few months late, how many points do you think FO3 loses for being a few years late?  :D

I'm guessing it's actually a few hours (maybe a day) she is referring to. Ie, release date being announced as 31st but that actually being the ship date. So with that scale shouldn't Fallout 3 be something more like -10 000?

If Bethesda continues there pattern of game making found in the TES games, the CoC game, and the PotC game, then I have to agree with her assessment but I will wait to make a final judgment till more information is released.  Like I said, Shadowstrider, there is an off chance Bethesda might make a proper Fallout 3 but its more likely that they won't.

I have to agree.

I mean those types of games are what they do well.