NWN2: Major disappointment - Character creation

Riftworm

I have the game (it's out in Israel since 4 hours ago) and I havent played much yet but one of the things I was looking for was character creation and as far as customizing your character's look it is a HUGE let down.

You cannot edit the face at all, all you can do is choose between 5-6 faces for each race, and they are pretty ugly looking. I couldnt find one female face that looked good.

The female elves faces look like males

Also, you cannot edit anything about the hair, same deal. 8-10 hair styles to choose from and they are not very interesting. You can't edit the length or anything else.

Also, you cannot change the height\weight of your character so basically all character bodies are identical if they are of the same race. lame.

I realize this is not such a big part of the game but I really like it when you can build a character and have many options to set how he\she will look. Well......this is not the case here.

How your character looks is like .1% of character creation. To me, it's irrelevant. I'm glad it seems Obsidian has focused on the more important aspects of character creation.

Thank you for sharing this GREAT news. :(

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I have to agree with Big Green.

Dark Raven, first you complain about we don't have NWN 2 forums here and not direct someone to another site for those who wanting to discuss the game, for good or ill? If we are to discuss NWN 2 here it has to be both the good aspects of the game and the notso good aspects as well.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I have the game (it's out in Israel since 4 hours ago) and I havent played much yet but one of the things I was looking for was character creation and as far as customizing your character's look it is a HUGE let down.

You cannot edit the face at all, all you can do is choose between 5-6 faces for each race, and they are pretty ugly looking. I couldnt find one female face that looked good.

The female elves faces look like males

Also, you cannot edit anything about the hair, same deal. 8-10 hair styles to choose from and they are not very interesting. You can't edit the length or anything else.

Also, you cannot change the height\weight of your character so basically all character bodies are identical if they are of the same race. lame.

I realize this is not such a big part of the game but I really like it when you can build a character and have many options to set how he\she will look. Well......this is not the case here.

Oh n0es!1

We can't highlight our characters hair? We can't alter their Body Mass Index? The horror - I mean what was Obsidian thinking?! Obviously this must be the machinations of the apocalypse. Run for the hillz0r!1. Or the psychiatric cent0rz. Whichever comes first.

manthing2.jpg

:rolleyes:

When I am the reasonable one here you know the thread is in trouble.

Hey, after going through some MMORPG and Oblivion's character creation I think it is a legitimate concern. Having the ability to custom make your character is always a major plus in a CRPG, especially Online. The more variations the player can use the more chance of making a unique look for your character.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

:thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

When I am the reasonable one here you know the thread is in trouble.

Hey, after going through some MMORPG and Oblivion's character creation I think it is a legitimate concern.  Having the ability to custom make your character is always a major plus in a CRPG, especially Online.  The more variations the player can use the more chance of making a unique look for your character.

You tell 'em, what you're going by these days.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

How your character looks is like .1% of character creation. To me, it's irrelevant.

1%? So by your standards they could be a 6 pixel box running around looking like Pacman?

Meh..I dunno just Very "mannequin" looking to me, as if the PC modelers threw out everything they knew about anatomical correctness concerning the heads (no modeled features - no brow or cheek and nose structure - just flat blank stares liek corpses - they look like Eloi people), and the bodies arent as unique as NWN1 even.

A video game should give the options to bring someones imagination to life. With so few options to make your character look unique, you could be playing pen and paper.

The backgrounds and many NPC's look gorgeous, just I think they dropped the ball on character creation. :rolleyes:

-

Edited by Riftworm

Well, I take the total package in character creation, Volourn. Not only the game mechanic and story aspects, but also the physical appearance. The more varied and detailed the better, as far as I am concerned.

So they didn't learn of the fact almost every Kotor2 player had "Jesus Exile"?

Together with the review I read (CRAWLING ANIMALS EVERYWHERE!) NWN2 sounds another miss... *sigh*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

"So they didn't learn of the fact almost every Kotor2 player had "Jesus Exile"?"

Sand has apoint about character looks in MP; but your point about KOTOR 2 is beyond silly since it's a fully SP game so how other PCs may look is 200% irrelevant.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I wouldn't say that. Even if the OC is lackluster and even if the baseline models are less than spectacular we still have the tool set and a mod mad community.

Besides, I like my Dark Side Jesus.

Well; maybe one may care how he looks like. Do you pick the ugliest possible look for yourself and then stare at it for 40 hours for fun?

@ Hades;

I prefer it if my games do not crawl. We'll see if Atari "pulls a LA" before we can actually comment if the mod-community CAN act...

^

Are we talking about FPS, story-line, or actual animals crawling about? :rolleyes:

Having doodled aroun in the toolset for 2 weeks and seeing every head I cant say I agree. Sure, the elves are ugly but theyre supposed to be if you look in the 3.5 manual. The lack of any proper length female hair is a slight concern but not huge.

And in games like City of Heroes that allow massive player model modification, the actual game suffers because so much effort is put into the charater creation features

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, but that is given in context in which it was originally developed.