Bioshock interview @TTLG

Morgoth

Can someone give a review of this demo plz.

Edit: thanks muso but more details on what was in the demo mebbe?

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

They had like every plasmid in the demo, it felt kind of stupid finding Incinerate from a bathroom floor, etc. Superb graphics, total blast audiovisually and the everything just clicked into place. Sort of felt cheated that you couldn't fight a big daddy or do much at all in terms of quests though. On Xbox, the targeting feels somewhat similar to Perfect Dark Zero, in the way that it is rather sluggish. No, not slow, rather the autoaim is sort of akward and it takes a while to get used to it. Works perfectly after that, fortunately.

Yeah, it is an awesome demo for a hopefully awesome game.

Can you turn off auto-aim? Such things usually keep me away from the console-version of any game(despite having surround-sound and a HDTV).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why would you want to turn off auto-aim on a console? Only time I ever did that was with Perfect Dark and only with the 1-hit kill option on. Controller aiming is too imprecise, you need the game to make up the last bit for you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

theslug: Very short portion of an early level, I presumed. There's stuff to fiddle, but it's in a small space.

Mesh: I didn't check as I don't own the console. It's likely though.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

theslug: Very short portion of an early level, I presumed. There's stuff to fiddle, but it's in a small space.

On the Major Nelson podcast Ken Levine said that it was an early part of the game "modified" for a demo. So it's possible you don't get incinerate that early in the full game. I'm assuming lightning bolt or whatever they call it is supposed to be the first plasmid you get.

Why can't you play it on your 60" plasma with DX10 graphics?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

On the Major Nelson podcast Ken Levine said that it was an early part of the game "modified" for a demo. So it's possible you don't get incinerate that early in the full game. I'm assuming lightning bolt or whatever they call it is supposed to be the first plasmid you get.

Oh, it's obviously a demo level. It felt like that FEAR demo to me, they show a lot of neat stuff, but the actual mechanics are not available yet, there's no ecosystem or anything and they throw plasmids at you like there's no tomorrow, heh.

Couple of other things, since there's no inventory at all, but all health stuffs, tonics and similar gets stored in their own space and only show up as numbers in the screen, similar to any fps, you have to use all consumables in the spot. IIRC, alcohol gives you health and drops your eva points and cigs do the same reversed. I found it nifty.

Also, the hand effects with plasmids are godly, especially the burnmarks in Incinerate.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Woohoo, I was a bit worried about all the shooter talk, but this is definitely better than the typical mindless FPS crowd. The game is dripping in atmosphere. It's gorgeous. I've got to pick it up on the 360 because I just don't think I can run all those water effects well enough on my mid-level PC.

I'll play it on easy, avoid combat, and just enjoy the awesome story.

Woohoo, I was a bit worried about all the shooter talk, but this is definitely better than the typical mindless FPS crowd. The game is dripping in atmosphere. It's gorgeous. I've got to pick it up on the 360 because I just don't think I can run all those water effects well enough on my mid-level PC.

I'll play it on easy, avoid combat, and just enjoy the awesome story.

I saw a video where Levine said that if you don't kill any big daddies you'll be gimped too much to make it to the end of the game. I don't know why you would want to skip a huge portion of the game but either way you'll have to fight if you want to get to the end.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I think, with the price drops, I might forgo to the new rig and get a 360. That's a tough call, because the PS3 seems technically superior. I dunno. I've been waiting until there was more clarity in regards to the blue-ray/hddvd issue. It occurs to me that the issue regarding next gen DVD might be moot at any rate.

I'm definitely picking up Bioshock one way or the other, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Why would you want to turn off auto-aim on a console? Only time I ever did that was with Perfect Dark and only with the 1-hit kill option on. Controller aiming is too imprecise, you need the game to make up the last bit for you.

It just feels like cheating to me. I usually see difficult aiming as a part of the game, otherwise i wouldn't even bother playing games like Halo or Gears of War on the Xbox.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's nice that they're putting weapon mods into the game, because the guns were ****ing useless in the demo. Electro+wrench was the way to go.

heck yeah. besides the Tommy Gun. That thing was great.

Meh. On Normal, at least, the Tommy Gun didn't do enough consistent damage to take them out before they hit you (when they weren't dodging your fire). The nice thing about the electro power was that it stunned enemies. Plus, you barely got 2 clips worth of ammo in the demo.

But just as promised, the easiest and best way to make it through the areas unscathed was using the environment, particularly when it came to hacking cameras and sentries.

Why is the Unreal Engine 3 broken..? What did I miss?

I think some forumite made that statement and Mr. Sawyer disagreed with him. I think it was Morgoth.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.