Bioshock interview @TTLG

Morgoth

PC version for me. Still above the recommended specs :verymad:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Looks like I'll be able to play the game as well, I'm right around the recommended specs ;)

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

So, here are finally some PC screenies from the menus. Click

That hacking reminds me of that silly pipe-puzzle from Sanitarium.

It's like Pipe Mania.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So, here are finally some PC screenies from the menus. Click

That hacking reminds me of that silly pipe-puzzle from Sanitarium.

Gads. It's like a steampunk version of System Shock 2. Item descriptions were a lot better in SS2 though. I hope those are just placeholders.

My pc slides in somewhere between minimum and recommended specs, so I'll probably be OK at 1024*768 for the most part.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

My three year old laptop meets the minimum specs easily.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21277.html

New video. I think this may be the first one that really showcased the gameplay's potential to me.

That's brilliant. This game is looking to be very, very good.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Meta, that must have been an awesome laptop three years ago. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Totally. Mine has 64 megabytes maximum memory allotted for graphics (it barely runs Deus Ex without crashing) and has half a gig of RAM. I wonder if this thing could be upgraded.

I don't really like a lot of the interface shown in the video. The font for the gun info is an eyesore, I hope it's a placeholder.

Also, I'm disappointed by the lack of reaction that the enemies have to being shot. Maybe it's just that they're single-minded monsters or whatever, but when a game purports to be an FPS and enemies can charge you even when you're blasting them with a shotgun at point-blank range it really breaks immersion. That and they also seem to be completely oblivious to environmental hazards, such as a big ****ing pool of burning oil right in front of them. Would Irrational dumb down their AI to make the much-touted environmental manipulation the best way to go about playing the game? Or are their AIs simple enough that corralling them all into a death trap is easy regardless?

Edited by Pop

With the game still a couple months away, I am assuming those screenies are from are not doing justice to the final shipping UI. Probably they are from an older build anyway. THe UI looks clean but not fully fleshed out. Or so I am hoping. Those item descriptions are really half-ass compared to SS2.

Actually, I've changed my mind. I went back and looked again and everything looks pretty finished.

If its the PC version why is everything so big?

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, the limited edition will not be available in Portugal... :) Which means that, if I want to get it, I'll have to order it from Spain with extra shipping fees. Bastards.

Heja Sverige!!

Same here. The limited edition is available in Sweden, Denmark and Norway. But not in Finland :)

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Filched this off Morgoth's links:

"So that moment, the dark contortions of the plot at large, is the third and final triumph that makes BioShock an instant classic. But it also precedes the third and final problem. This is a short sequence and not a very difficult one, but its mediocrity is hard to stomach because of when it occurs. It's the end. After a game so singularly smart and beautiful that it makes others seem laughable, we get a final level that could have been pulled straight from the tripe BioShock puts to shame elsewhere. Imagine Citizen Kane ending, after you find out what 'Rosebud' means, with zombie Orson Welles fighting a giant Agent Smith made of smaller Agent Smiths. It doesn't negate how wonderful the preceding experience has been, but it does rather spoil the mood.

Regardless, Bioshock is a dark and astonishing masterpiece. It might not be as flawless as Half-Life 2, but it bites off so much more and accomplishes it all magnificently. Even if you've soaked up every preview and trailer with relish, you haven't scratched the surface of how deep this unsettling meditation on hubris and insanity actually goes. If it were just a thrilling ride through a twisted and remarkable plot, BioShock would eventually get old. But there's a physicality and openness to its richly systematic combat that suggests it'll stay fresh for a very long time.

This is the really bewildering thing about it: it succeeds so stunningly on three different fronts. Not esoteric ones, either, these are the big challenges developers have been struggling to master for decades: narrative, emergence, a sense of place. If another game did just one of these as well as BioShock, it would immediately qualify as a classic. When a game comes along that does all three, we can only be baffled and thankful.

I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five.

- Tom Francis"

I believe the word is awesome.

Edit: I pre-ordered a game for the first time in my life.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

Amazon.com is listing it as a WinXp game. Shouldn't need Vista if so.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah, first thing I always do when I need to know the specs is to go to Amazon. Most trustworthy pro game site evahh!!!11

Why not take a look at the official system requirements instead?

BIOSHOCK PC SPECIFICATIONS

Operating Systems:

Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) or

Windows Vista

Minimum System Requirements:

CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor

System RAM: 1GB

Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).

Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card

Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor

System RAM: 2GB

Video card:

DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)

DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better

Sound Card: Sound Blaster

Yea but this game is supposed to be DX10 compliant :brows:

Yup, it is. I expect that you fully make use of your two Geforce 8800 GTX's. And post a lot of pictures, that's paramount :)

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Are there multiple endings / paths in Bioshock?

I pre-ordered a game for the first time in my life.

Me 2.

Bleeding misquotes. I was wondering why in the world I would have mentioned my Persona 3 pre-order in this thread.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hey, I'm clearly better and more awesome than Tale, so don't mix us up. :brows:

Heja Sverige!!

Yea but this game is supposed to be DX10 compliant :brows:

Yup, it is. I expect that you fully make use of your two Geforce 8800 GTX's. And post a lot of pictures, that's paramount :)

lol yea I'm just waiting for some decent (non-buggy) Vista DX10 SLI drivers, but they'll prolly be out in time for this game :wowey: