Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

Granted, revolutions are rarely tidy.  Still, from what I can tell, the differences between film and book are ultimately inconsequential details that don't change the fundamental outcome.  In the original comic book, things work out well for Evey, no?  And all the tidy comic book formulae play out: old wrongs are righted, good triumphs over injustice, the symbols and leaders of the corrupt regime are destroyed, and our hero (Evey) prevails?  Am I entirely off here? (I haven't read the book--just plot summaries.)

Compared to, say, "1984" or "Brazil," the end of "V" struck me as faithful to the comic book formula (if there is such a thing).  That's appropriate and maybe inevitable.    After all, superheros only exist in fantasy.  :)

Perhaps its not as downbeat as, say, the original end to Brazil; I was merely pointing out the irony of calling something a "comic book" ending when the comic ended differently. :)

Edited by metadigital

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

[Perhaps its not as downbeat as, say, the original end to Brazil; I was merely pointing out the irony of calling something a "comic book" ending when the comic ended differently. :)

Yes, as usual, you make a valid point. To paraphrase Steve Martin, sometimes I have a way with words, and sometimes I not have way.

Say, Tep, does the book explain how V accomplished so much and without detection? Stuff like the infrastructure to his Shadow Gallery, the shiny lethal train and massive FedEx shipments? Did he employ contractors, worker drones or undocumented immigrants? Did he work alone?

I realize this is nit-picky (I know, it's a comic!) but I was bothered by those unexplained, massive feats of labor. Pls enlighten me.

Btw, did you like "12 Monkeys"? It's one of my favorite dystopian films. Almost up there with "City of Lost Children," "1984" and a handful of others. What are your favorites?

Another must see: After The Fall of New York.

It boasts the most wretched dialogue you'll ever hear. So bad it's good.

Sample:

Giara (love interest) croons to hero: "I'm really rooting for you to bring this mission off."

Edited by metadigital

The Island - Fun action movie. Not as preachy as its subject matter could have made it (still preachy though). Solid alla round acting that upped its quality.

P.S. 12 Monkeys was a cool movie. :cool:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

First time I've seen "Fight Club."  How the hell did I miss it?

Yes. A brilliant film. Many people accuse that I "only like it for the violence", but the story is a good one.

You should read the novel from which the movie is based; ten times better.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

I kind of like the book better, David Fincher's direction relies on a lot of flashy CG (Chuck's dialogue is what makes the movie good, imo) but Chuck's come out and said that he prefers the movie's ending. I agree, the Christ parable turn the book took at the end was kind of weird.

Interesting aside: If you send Chuck Palahnuik a fan letter, he will send you something back (when he gets to you)

I watched Fog of War. Twas good.

Yes, as usual, you make a valid point.  To paraphrase Steve Martin, sometimes I have a way with words, and sometimes I not have way.

Say, Tep, does the book explain how V accomplished so much and without detection?  Stuff like the infrastructure to his Shadow Gallery, the shiny lethal train and massive FedEx shipments?  Did he employ contractors, worker drones or undocumented immigrants?  Did he work alone?

Okay, well first there are no FedEx like shipments nor a mob of Guy Fawkes masked people in the book.

He worked alone; the Shadow Gallery was a place he'd taken up off an abandoned Underground line. He had about 10 years (IIRC) to plan his strike against the government. He got away with a lot of stuff because the Government was using a giant computer program to run most everything and he'd found a way to compromise the thing, and had been able to do a lot of things during this time relatively unnoticed. Its possible that he could have manipulated other people to do some things for him as well, as he does during the course of the story, but its unstated how much he'd managed to con out of people.

Btw, did you like "12 Monkeys"?  It's one of my favorite dystopian films.  Almost up there with "City of Lost Children," "1984" and a handful of others.  What are your favorites? 

Another must see: After The Fall of New York

It boasts the most wretched dialogue you'll ever hear.  So bad it's good.

Sample:

Giara (love interest) croons to hero:    "I'm really rooting for you to bring this mission off."

I really like both "12 Monkeys" and "City of Lost Children"...at the moment I'm blanking on really good dystopian films... :">

(12 Monkeys is more post-apocalyptic to me anyhow, but I'm not sure genre matters too much).

Edited by metadigital

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Broken Trail (Imdb) Or AMC's site

A 3 hour (on DVD) miniseries from AMC. I love epic, more mellow Westerns if they're good, and this one is pretty decent. Not as good as Lonesome Dove - man I miss the days when 'miniseries' meant 4-5 nights, not 2 - but Robert Duvall is excellent as always. One of those actors born to play a guy in a saddle and a hat. Thomas Haden Church surprised me a bit too - I still think of him as the goofball from "Wings," heh, but he did great here.

The plot is a bit predictable but if you like this kind of Western - you'll probably like this one. Decent production values for a mini-series.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Fight Club was an excellent movie. I watched it a lot my freshman year of college. Never saw 12 Monkeys though.

I have read a few other Palahnuik books and enjoyed them, most notably "Survivor."

I've been working my way through season six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I just watched the musical episode, and you can color me impressed!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

It really was! I mean, who would have thought most of those actors had surprisingly decent voices? We knew Anthony Stewart Head could sing from his previous coffeeshop outings, but the others did well too.

The songs were catchy and the writing was clever; they filmed it in the style of a musical. All in all, you could tell they spent a lot of time on it.

:thumbsup: to Joss Whedon and the cast for that one!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I kind of like the book better, David Fincher's direction relies on a lot of flashy CG (Chuck's dialogue is what makes the movie good, imo) but Chuck's come out and said that he prefers the movie's ending. I agree, the Christ parable turn the book took at the end was kind of weird.

I love both endings, personally. I think they are both good in their own way and cannot really be compared.

"There was God, his diplomas hanging behind the wall"

I always wonder, is he really talking to God, or is he talking to a psychiatrist and has he finally completely lost his marbles?

Buffy, and Angel are two of the best tv shows ever. Once More With Feeling, and Angels' 'counterpart' when he became a puppet are the signs of their greatness.

I didn't hear one song I disliked in OMWF. That's pretty impressive in its own right.

Blind Horizon: A striaght to video hmm movie. The ending isn't as spectacular as one heopes while watching it; but this movie was wacked out. I like it. The beginning was kinda boring though; but once I got a feel for the characters; it was smooth sailing...

I caught a Canadian made ( and gov't financed!) movie featuring David Boreanaz um...the guy from Angel in it. It was called These Girls. He played a married, pot selling father who nails his babysitter and then gets blackmailed into diddling her friends. :) Rough life, not so bad show. It wouldn't say run out and rent it, but if it's on a movie network check it out.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Right At Your Door. Okay.

Fight Club started well, but ended with a whimper. Terrible waste of a good idea. Haven't read the novel; I expect it is much better if the ending is handled better.

Also, please use [ spoiler ] tags to keep stuff from people who might happen across it before they have had the enjoyment of watching / reading the art in question.

Thank you.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Also, please use [ spoiler ] tags to keep stuff from people who might happen across it before they have had the enjoyment of watching / reading the art in question.

Thank you.

That's not a problem, but part of the discussion that appears to have been edited was about the comic book, which is over 20 years old; do we have to put a spoiler tag on *everything* no matter how old it is? Or is it simply because the movie is only six months old (I notice several older film discussions - including the end to the original Poseidon Adventure haven't been edited)?

Again if that's how things operate here, that's fine and I'll try to [ spoiler ] all recent film discussion, but almost every board I've ever been to has a statute of limitations on such things which has usually only been a few months after a movies release (but I can understand tightening this up since these forums only have one movie discussion thread and spoilers are harder to avoid).