The Elder Scrolls games

ramza

Why, you sneaky moderator person! :rolleyes:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Both Morrowind and Oblivion are good games. Oblivion is better, graphics are superior to Morrowind and game play is pretty decent.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Actually, I just remembered that I own Morrowind (a friend of mine gave it to me). I shall give it another shot and then decide if Oblivion is for me.

But again, many people here disliked Morrowind but liked Oblivion. What am I supposed to think? That the 2 games are quite different and that I can like one without liking the other?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

:blink:

The games have many similarities and many differences.  You really have to play both games in order to know for sure.  I personally like both games but I prefer the Morrowind GUI over Oblivion.  Thank god for the BTMod.

There's something about Morrowind, though, that makes it feel more unique...more alien. Oblivioin is basically set in a generic fantasy setting and the scenery doesn't change at all really through the course of the game.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

But again, many people here disliked Morrowind but liked Oblivion. What am I supposed to think? That the 2 games are quite different and that I can like one without liking the other?

The choice is yours, play it or not. Don't let others influence you, you may miss out on something you may like.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Morrowind's setting is generally more interesting than Oblivion's, but to me that's where the advantages end.

Oblivion's gameplay is vastly superior in how it handles stealth, bartering, and enchanting. I think O's quest design is generally more interesting. The level scaling is a mixed bag-- it eliminates one of the biggest problems in Morrowind (lack of a challenge in the mid-late game), but replaces it with a pile of other problems. The combat changes are a matter of opinion. (In brief, the 'to-hit' roll has been eliminated. Instead, physics determines when there is a hit, and character skill affects only the damage done. There are also 'speshull mooves' you can get with high skill and some button-mashing.)

I didn't like MW at all, and while Oblviion obviously has superior graphics to the brown poo that passed as MW graphics; the games are seemingly way too similar that I haven't even bothered with oblivion.

Though the pics shared by people here with horses or the odd occurances, tempted me for .53 seconds.

If I ever see it in stores for $20 or less then I'd probbaly scoop it (as I've been saying it along).

I think you have disliked MW; your chances of liking Oblivion are less than one who liked MW. I say, don't listen to our opinions, and read the facts then make a decision.

:)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I didn't like MW at all, and while Oblviion obviously has superior graphics to the brown poo that passed as MW graphics; the games are seemingly way too similar that I haven't even bothered with oblivion.

Though the pics shared by people here with horses or the odd occurances, tempted me for .53 seconds.

If I ever see it in stores for $20 or less then I'd probbaly scoop it (as I've been saying it along).

I think you have disliked MW; your chances of liking Oblivion are less than one who liked MW. I say, don't listen to our opinions, and read the facts then make a decision.

:-

see? even YOU were tempted by the great visuals! I really wonder if the game is that fun to play though... :ph34r:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Morrowind's setting is generally more interesting than Oblivion's, but to me that's where the advantages end. 

Oblivion's gameplay is vastly superior in how it handles stealth, bartering, and enchanting.  I think O's quest design is generally more interesting.  The level scaling is a mixed bag-- it eliminates one of the biggest problems in Morrowind (lack of a challenge in the mid-late game), but replaces it with a pile of other problems.  The combat changes are a matter of opinion.  (In brief, the 'to-hit' roll has been eliminated.  Instead, physics determines when there is a hit, and character skill affects only the damage done.  There are also 'speshull mooves' you can get with high skill and some button-mashing.)

The improvement to combat by itself makes Oblivion a better gaming experience. MW's was just awful, I can't even go back and replay the damned thing because of that. It's just frustrating.

see? even YOU were tempted by the great visuals! I really wonder if the game is that fun to play though...  :ph34r:

It was fun for me for about the first hundred hours, now I don't know what I'm doing...as I keep restarting because I'm never satisfied with my character's appearance. :-

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

"see? even YOU were tempted by the great visuals! I really wonder if the game is that fun to play though... "

I'm tempted to do alot of things that I know are bad for me. :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I agree with Dark Raven on the 3D thing, but not only for characters...many look really great scenic wise, but I'm getting a little tired of seeing the same trees, rocks, building pattern textures, etc. that all 3D games seem to use, it makes all 3D games look the same and thus kinda boring.

At least Oblivion made decent character hands. :D

As to the original post - if you really didn't like MW, I personally don't think you'll find all that much to change your mind in Oblivion. If you sort of liked MW but wished there were some things changed, you might find Oblivion more to your liking.

I haven't played Oblivion anywhere close to the hours of some others here, but IMO it's pretty and has a tigher, smaller 'world' and is more immersive than MW because of it, but gameplay wise, it's still much the same, even w/better quests.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No, realisitcally, there's probably not much difference, but somehow I find them to feel more individual. At least the ones I played. It's probably helped a lot by the sprite character/npc drawings for me. I've been noticing in Stronghold2 how every army unit feels generic looks-wise, even with different 'costumes' - because they have the same polygon structures and in 3D you really notice it - whereas in Stronghold1, somehow they all looked vastly different, creating a more game-unique feeling environment. I dunno...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts