Heroes of Might & Magic V

I thought the Heroes series has always been RT combat... Hmm.. I haven't played any of them... I guess that's what ASSuming does...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Waiting for some feedback and responses from initial buyers, then probably rushing out and getting it myself :D

Heroes has been TB since HoMM II (I haven't tried the original, so I can't say) :p

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well.. I'll be crapped.. I wrote them off as just a bunch of RT hack n slashes... Those cna be found... but I had gotren bored of the whole M&M series sveral games back.. I might have to check it out then.. LOL

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

To the best of my knowledge, HoMM was the first game of its turnbased kind. I could be wrong though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

HoMM was not the first of it's kind. In fact, I believe Warlords came out first. Masters of Magic might be the original fantasy style game like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something before.

Anyways, the single player demo was awesome. I'll be picking this up whenever my funds are adequate.

Hmm, Empire(and several other ASCII strategies), Master of Magic, Kings Bounty, Warlords and then HoMM.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Looks graphics looks pretty nice.

Long time ago I played one of the older PC ones. I instantly hated it. It was the fantasy setting in it's purest form, weilding all the cliches I had come to hate.

I've looked down on the series ever since.

Let me know how it is, I might give it a chance someday. ^-^

Edited by Haitoku

I alwys thought the cookicutter fantasy setting was one of HoMM's strength. After two month of hot seat you forget Happy happy art direction and all the possible cliches, since the gameplay is so very well balanced and setting just fits, since all the units have just the roles you could imagine and it's refreshingly original compared to every new setting that tried to be "dark" or "gritty".

I mean, Phantagram games anyone?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Hmm, Empire(and several other ASCII strategies), Master of Magic, Kings Bounty, Warlords and then HoMM.

I can't believe I had forgotten Master of Magic! :) :">

I'm not familiar with Empire though. Perhaps I'll check it out.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well.. I'll be crapped.. I wrote them off as just a bunch of RT hack n slashes...

You're probably mixing Heroes of Might & Magic strategy series with the Might & Magic (no Heroes in the titles) series, which are 1st person party-based RPG's...not quite hack n slash but a lot of combat focus, yes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

After playing the demo I can't say that I'm impressed. I doubt I'll be buying this game unless I can get it at a low price, and even then I'm not sure I'd get it. The changes from 2D to 3D (didn't like the new style) and other things like the new TB battle system turned me away. I wasn't very impressed with the little segment of story included in the demo either.

I figure if I ever get the urge to play a game like HoMM, I'll go back to Age of Wonders or good ol Master of Magic.

Edited by LostStraw

I would say the HoMM series is best played with a friend or two in hotseat mode. Those are my best memories of the game. Since I don't live in a frat house anymore, I doubt the game will have the same appeal.

All the apeal HoMM ever had for me came from hotseat.

Back in 99 it was the best thing since sliced bread.

kirottu said:

I pre-ordered the LE edition for $60 + free 2 day shipping on Ubi's web site. With the LE you get:

HoMM 3 & 4 - remastered for Windows XP

HoMM 5 on DVD

Soundtrack

Not bad for $10 more. Don't know if 3 & 4 will be complete with all the expansions, that would make the deal even sweeter.

Edited by Setzer

It sounds and looks good from their site, hopefully it's good :thumbsup: If so, I'll pick it up.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson