Diablo 3 rumours.

kirottu

I take it I won't be getting any free love from you then, right?

There is no free love. Unless we count the one in prisons where all you need to do to feel love is to drop the soap.

Mine's free. Like diamonds, or gold, or a new Cadillac...especially when you drop the soap. :*

What about peace, love, and understanding?

You lose, game over.

Just because I advocate those things in real life, doesn't mean I'm not fully capable of ripping your spinal column out in game. ;)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Both diablo games were masterpieces of computer gaming.

In the same way that Destiny's child's songs are masterpieces of popular music and The Da Vinci Code is a masterpiece of english literature?

Blizzard's ability to make games that sell millions of units is to be admired though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think the original Diablo was a masterpiece. It was utterly unique when it came out, and it had an awesome atmosphere. In fact, I would guess that most of the people complaining about the original did not play it when it first came out.

It was also out before Fallout and the restoration of the RPG genre, so it really was alone at the time. It also allowed a multiplayer experience that was different than anything else. It was better than Ultima Online (UO was bad news when it first came out, it recovered way later.) and it offered something different than the standard FPS and RTS games.

I think the original Diablo was a masterpiece.  It was utterly unique when it came out, and it had an awesome atmosphere.  In fact, I would guess that most of the people complaining about the original did not play it when it first came out. 

It was also out before Fallout and the restoration of the RPG genre, so it really was alone at the time.  It also allowed a multiplayer experience that was different than anything else.  It was better than Ultima Online (UO was bad news when it first came out, it recovered way later.) and it offered something different than the standard FPS and RTS games.

I played it when it first came out. It felt like Ultima VIII with better graphics and interface.

Heja Sverige!!

I played D1 on the PS1. I needed one memory card just for that save file. It took me a while to get into it but I was eventually hooked and I finished it in 2-3 seatings.

Later I picked up the full D2 boxset and I played the hell out of it. I tried online but I got trolled really fast and that was it. One shot, one kill. Never played again.

I am looking forward to a D3 but I hope they make the gameplay something more than just loot hunting.

I preferred D2 over D1.

In the same way that Destiny's child's songs are masterpieces of popular music and The Da Vinci Code is a masterpiece of english literature?

Blizzard's ability to make games that sell millions of units is to be admired though.

No. These games are masterpieces because both games for their time revolutionized the character building process.

Diablo 1 came up with a system of random magic prefixes and suffixes and base items, and you could spend hours searching shops and killing monsters trying to find better equipment for your character.

For years no other game provided a similar item hunting experience.

Diablo 2 refined this by adding in set items, rare items, crafted items, exceptional items, more uniques, elite items, runewords, runes, gems, socketed items etc etc etc. Now no matter what you find there is always something better out there, and you can spend as much time as you want building your character and making him stronger and stronger. I dont think any game out there offers such unlimited character development.

I think the original Diablo was a masterpiece.  It was utterly unique when it came out, and it had an awesome atmosphere.  In fact, I would guess that most of the people complaining about the original did not play it when it first came out. 

It was also out before Fallout and the restoration of the RPG genre, so it really was alone at the time.  It also allowed a multiplayer experience that was different than anything else.  It was better than Ultima Online (UO was bad news when it first came out, it recovered way later.) and it offered something different than the standard FPS and RTS games.

Yes, diablo 1 had a simply incredible atmosphere. It really felt like a demonic game.

Diablo 2 has this retarded cartoon fantasy look and is filled with stupid things like insects and catwomen, what a load of ****.

No. These games are masterpieces because both games for their time revolutionized the character building process.

Revolution? I think I'll skip commenting on that (in the spirit of saying nothing, when you have nothing nice to say) and instead just speculate that you probably haven't seen many PnP RPG systems, let alone a host of cRPGs that could be mentioned... >_<

Diablo 1 came up with a system of random magic prefixes and suffixes and base items, and you could spend hours searching shops and killing monsters trying to find better equipment for your character.

Diablo 2 refined this by adding in set items, rare items, crafted items, exceptional items, more uniques, elite items, runewords, runes, gems, socketed items etc etc etc. Now no matter what you find there is always something better out there, and you can spend as much time as you want building your character and making him stronger and stronger. I dont think any game out there offers such unlimited character development.

Monty Haul and Munchkinism.... Not exactly traits that I would praise a game for. Especially not when it's built on top of mindless hack 'n slash.

Diablo II may have been fun at times, but it was woefully unoriginal and lacked any sort of replay value, at least for me, once all the movies had been seen. The one thing it had was the dark tone of the story and it's gothic elements. If the put those succesfully in an RPG, it'll really be a winner.

Am I the only one that thinks the item design in Diablo was retarded? All they did was create two different groups of item attributes that could be assigned to each item. This allowed for easy random item creation (the goal of the system) but made every single item in the game feel generic. It's not revolutionary. It's boring.

Furthermore, as far as I know, even in D2 you couldn't find a single item that had a specific attribute that you couldn't find anywhere else in the game. As such, to me, even D2's unique items were boring.

Heja Sverige!!

If a D3 is released, I'll be standing in line to buy it. Bought the first two, would have to complete the trilogy...I have a hard time believing that they would not eventually make D3, since it's one of their most popular titles. I might have a lot more grey hair before they get around to actually releasing it tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Revolution? I think I'll skip commenting on that (in the spirit of saying nothing, when you have nothing nice to say) and instead just speculate that you probably haven't seen many PnP RPG systems, let alone a host of cRPGs that could be mentioned... >_<

Monty Haul and Munchkinism.... Not exactly traits that I would praise a game for. Especially not when it's built on top of mindless hack 'n slash.

Diablo II may have been fun at times, but it was woefully unoriginal and lacked any sort of replay value, at least for me, once all the movies had been seen. The one thing it had was the dark tone of the story and it's gothic elements. If the put those succesfully in an RPG, it'll really be a winner.

If you like gothic atmosphere play the original diablo, it is amazingly gothic and satanic.

If you dont like building characters, then diablo 2 isnt the game for you, obviously, since it is all about building characters. No one hacks and slashes because they like it, they hack and slash because they like the cool items they get after doing it. And I dont play pnp, and I do not believe that there is any crpg with a better equipment system than diablo 2.

Am I the only one that thinks the item design in Diablo was retarded? All they did was create two different groups of item attributes that could be assigned to each item. This allowed for easy random item creation (the goal of the system) but made every single item in the game feel generic. It's not revolutionary. It's boring.

Furthermore, as far as I know, even in D2 you couldn't find a single item that had a specific attribute that you couldn't find anywhere else in the game. As such, to me, even D2's unique items were boring.

The system in diablo 1 was revolutionary despite its simplicity. A lot of games just had items which were the same whenever you played, in diablo you got different items always.

You have not gone deep enough into diablo 2. Diablo 2 has a lot of set items, unique items and runewords with special attributes found nowhere else.

For example, the unique cats eye amulet I just found gives me 30 pecernt faster attack speed and 20 percent faster walk, which is unique among amulets.

The high level runewords also give you special auras, the ability to slay monsters permanently, and many other powers not found in normal items.

If you like gothic atmosphere play the original diablo, it is amazingly gothic and satanic.

If you dont like building characters, then diablo 2 isnt the game for you, obviously, since it is all about building characters. No one hacks and slashes because they like it, they hack and slash because they like the cool items they get after doing it. And I dont play pnp, and I do not believe that there is any crpg with a better equipment system than diablo 2.

Already played and finished Diablo 1 - and the Hellfire expansion - ages ago.

And I love building characters. I just don't think the Diablo II system is that good. It's very fixed and very limited. And it's geared exclusively toward monster-slashing. No interaction, no dialogue, no role-playing.

As I said, fun while it lasts, but not original in the slightest. It survives mostly on the polish with it's nice visuals and sound. Then again, that's just superficial quality and no depth.

Already played and finished Diablo 1 - and the Hellfire expansion - ages ago.

And I love building characters. I just don't think the Diablo II system is that good. It's very fixed and very limited. And it's geared exclusively toward monster-slashing. No interaction, no dialogue, no role-playing.

As I said, fun while it lasts, but not original in the slightest. It survives mostly on the polish with it's nice visuals and sound. Then again, that's just superficial quality and no depth.

Hence the tag Hack N Slash being applied to the Diablo games. :(