Diablo 3 rumours.

kirottu

You can have depth in Hack n Slash games, for example Icewind Dale.  The Diablo series was just boring.

Icewind Dale is more strategy RPG than Hack & Slash.

It's BG without the depth.

Diablo is fast and hectic. Icewind Dale is slow and methodical.

Both are equally exciting in their own way, to different people.

You can have depth in Hack n Slash games, for example Icewind Dale.  The Diablo series was just boring.

No, the Diablo series simply did not fit your criteria for enjoyable games. And that's all there is to it. That you do not like the series doesn't mean there isn't depth to it.

The Diablo and Icewind Dale series are clearly different variations of hack'n'slash and are built on different gameplay elements. For all its challenge, Icewind Dale allowed you to create and manage multiple characters with which to advance trough battle and also had the ability to pause the game. Diablo only allowed you to control one character and was strictly realtime. Icewind Dale had a fairly linear form of character advancement, while Diablo featured skill trees and extensive item customization. These factors, when applied to their respective games, considerably enhance their gameplay and influence the depth of options available to characters. That you prefer the kind of depth Icewind Dale provided really has no bearing on the one Diablo has.

Never played Diablo. Got almost to the end of the first chapter of Diablo II, but it was a struggle to get that far. All I could think was, "okay is this it??"

Meh.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The only thing Diablo has was hordes and hordes of monsters that you kill over and over again. There was no significant amount of dialog, no insight into the NPCs goals and desires, no strategic combat whatsoever. When I look for depth in a CRPG it covers:

1. Character Development, both by experience by questing and through dialog.

2. How strategic the combat is and the intelligence of the critters we are going against.

3. How well one can interact within the game world and choices have consequence.

Now IWD is pretty shallow in most of these areas but Diablo was even more shallow than IWD.

The only thing Diablo has was hordes and hordes of monsters that you kill over and over again.  There was no significant amount of dialog, no insight into the NPCs goals and desires, no strategic combat whatsoever.  When I look for depth in a CRPG it covers:

1.  Character Development, both by experience by questing and through dialog.

2.  How strategic the combat is and the intelligence of the critters we are going against.

3.  How well one can interact within the game world and choices have consequence.

Now IWD is pretty shallow in most of these areas but Diablo was even more shallow than IWD.

Apples are not supposed to look and taste like oranges at all. :wub:

I don't buy that apple/oranges argument.

A CRPG is a CRPG is a CRPG and I judge all CRPGs on the same criteria.

Because you don't even attempt to understand the point being made. Diablo is Action(95%)/RPG(5%). Action goes first. OK, I'll stop proving anything to you here, "because you're not a freaking Vulcan", right? :wub:

sesamstrasse-sesamstrasse-kirk-spock-4100274.jpg

:D

IB1OsQq.png

It is marketed as a CRPG therefore I will judge it as a CRPG, action or otherwise.  I don't see any reason to do otherwise.

There is no real 'PC RPG' or 'adventure game'....the spirit of pnp lies between the two...and more in the Adv. game then in 'RPG' :wub:

(BG&E, Syberia, LJ, GK, BS, Shadow of Memories...)

IB1OsQq.png

There is no real 'PC RPG' or 'adventure game'....the spirit of pnp lies between the two...and more in the Adv. game then in 'RPG'  :wub:

(BG&E, Syberia, LJ, GK, BS, Shadow of Memories...)

True enough but I am very focused in what makes a game a worthwhile CRPG or not. Diablo and Diablo 2 are both marketed and by industry standards belong to the CRPG genre, just like Icewind Dale, Baldur's gate, Planescape Torment, Jade Empire, and so forth and so on. So I will judge those game based on that.