Best Pazaak player

Outside of the Exile, who's the best Pazaak player?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Outside of the Exile, who's the best Pazaak player?

• Atton
    • Mebla Dule
    • S4-C8
    • Dahnis
    • Geredi
    • The Champ
    • Nikko
    • Pato Ado

This is probably more like a second-best poll, but hey...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

The computer doesn't cheat.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I vote for Dufflover.

lol, why thank you, but no one's played against me yet.

I voted The Champ but I found him easier than Suvam Tan in K1 (but I guess this is K2 players only).

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Suvam Tan, from KOTOR one. God I never managed to beat him more than like twice, and wound up several thousand credits in the hole trying.

And shepherds we shall be,

for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be,

In Nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti.

The Chimp. I know that little dude had to cheat. I never won against him yet.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

One of the Dev's said that the computer never cheats.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Picking the cards.

I was suprised when I read (can't remember where) that the K1 code didn't have any cheating elements...

Yeah, it doesn't cheat. But most people are convinced that it does. ;)

Do you generate the 'draw' deck ahead of time or do you generate a 1 - 10 card randomly on each draw? KotOR generated the deck before , then shuffled it randomly, then had the player and computer draw from the same deck.

The KotOR AI doesn't calculate probabilities, but rather has some safe thresholds that it knows it can hit on or not, depending on what cards it had in its side deck.

After drawing its card, the AI then calculates the LowestPossibleTotal that it can come up with its current cards plus the current sidecard options.

It then calculates how close can it get to 20 with its current cards and its side cards, as CurrentPossibleTotal.

If CurrentPossibleTotal is >= 18, then its time to decide if we should play that side card, based on some other factors.

{

If CurrentPossibleTotal == 20, then play the sidecard no matter what.

If CurrentPossibleTotal == 19, then play the side card if our LowestPossibleTotal is 11 or less, unless the player has 20 (waste of a sidecard). Since that means we have a 10% chance of busting on the next turn, but 19 is a good enough score to be worth the risk.

If CurrentPossibleTotal == 18, then play the side card if our LowestPossibleTotal is 13 or less, unless the player has 19. Since that means we have a 20% chance of busting on the next turn, but that's considered acceptable risk.

}

After it decides what to do with its side deck, it then compares its score against the player's.

If the player has a higher score, then it won't stand.

If the player has a lower score, and the AI has a score of 18 or higher, it will stand no matter what.

Also, when busting, it will play the negative card to save itself, unless the player has a score of 18, 19, or 20, in which case the AI decides its a waste of a side card to play it there. /Unless/ the side card played would give it a better score than the player OR it's the deciding game for the player (the player already has 2 wins, and 1 more win will end the game).

That's about all the thought that goes into the NPC AI Pazaak players in KotOR. I didn't write it myself, but just modified it to work with the new cards that were added in KotOR2. Except the Tie Breaker card. The NPC AI just sees that as a +/-1 card, not a Tie Breaker, giving another small advantage to the human player that uses the card carefully.

So really, the only reason the NPC players seem good is because they play a mathmatically safe game, on the whole. The real difficulty just comes down to how good their side deck is. The better their side deck, the harder they are to beat, since they have more control over the risks they take when making decisions each round.

-Akari

Sneaky!

The Chump. The computer had to be cheating when you play against him. The only way I beat him was to get some special cards myself.

Haha, I won against him the very first set we played, then he said that this couldn't be right and wanted to start over, i really did start over for some reason, reloading a previous pazaak less save