KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

I have not.  Never really been a fan of the MMORPG craze.  Don't have the time required to get anywhere with 'em, and hasn't SWG been out for a couple of years?  I imagine I'd be a ways behind the curve.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61890

Never played it myself (did play EQ though) don't think this machine will run it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I played the beta version of Ultima Online before the retail version came out. I played for about five minutes and then it crashed. That is my total experience of MMORPGs. I doubt they've changed much. Every designer working on an MMORPG is a designer who could, and should, be working on Kotor 3.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I refuse to pay to play a game online. Even if there is a free trial.

And the Jedi relearning to be a Jedi bit is old, they already used that twice. Time for the devs to be original.

Well, that's the trouble, isn't it? The inclination is to please the fans; if the fans went for it both times, the logical conclusion is that they'll go for it a third. I doubt that'd be the case, since, as I mentioned, the pre-lightsaber part essentially becomes just an extended, annoying prologue in the minds of many, but more than that, it has indeed been used too often.

But how do you alter the successful formula while still attempting to keep within the "theme" of the series? Ideally, we'd be working up to the point of taking control of Revan, not desperately trying to find some way to tie future sequels into that first plot, but there's no way they could've known KotOR would've been as successful as it was, and consequently the developers almost certainly weren't thinking about a sequel. A lot of writers get into the same sort of trouble. You could argue that Lucas himself did.

I'd suggest a clean break - this ties into my request to dump the "epic" storylines and characters. Let's either get some sort of ancillary plotline that occurs during the Revan-Malak-Exile troubles, or else something that happens a couple of decades into the future with a suitably anonymous Jedi. Don't take us to the "Unknown Regions" or wherever to fight the Sith with Revan and the Exile; there's no way that can be done well. Stick with charted territory.

I have not.  Never really been a fan of the MMORPG craze.  Don't have the time required to get anywhere with 'em, and hasn't SWG been out for a couple of years?  I imagine I'd be a ways behind the curve.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61890

Never played it myself (did play EQ though) don't think this machine will run it.

Hundreds of Jedi running around between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back? Pff. Pass. I certainly can't hold the nerd candle to most of the people lurking about here, but I am at least something of a purist when it comes to a faithful rendition of the story.

In other words, -I- should get to play the only Jedi.

I definitely agree that the "used to be a kick-butt jedi, but forgot how" theme need to be tossed ... the mysterious background plot twist worked well in K1, but I didn't find the exile's background that interesting.

On a slightly different note, I believe that SW stories should be epic ... I think K1 was an epic story, and while I like K2, the story wasn't as compelling to me to be considered "epic" - I just didn't care that much - it was hard for me to believe that Kreia could "kill the force" I didn't understand why I had to visit the four planets the first play through, etc., etc.

An interesting and involved story can be epic without the amnesia plot crutch.

That said, I'll probably buy K3 even if the PC is an amnesiac.

It looks like nothing has changed since I left this topic and forum for a few weeks. There are still a lot of people who wouldn't like to play as a Jedi in Kotor III. And as I said before, you can play both Kotor I and II as a "Non-Jedi", force powers and the lightsaber are only a game addition.

And then, there are the people who think that we shouldn't make a "Kotor III" as a continuation of Kotor II. Are there really no ways this could be done well??!! I think there are ways around these problems. Faces are very easy to implement in the game. The LS / DS is more complicated but there are ways around this problem.

An alternative is that we play as either Revan or the Exile again. And then, there is a problem that they became so powerful.

What about the idea that the developers decide that Revan is LS? It surely wouldn't bother me. As for the Exile, we know that it doesn't really matter that much. And there is the fact that we need to fight a war against a very evil Sith who came to the Mandalorians with an offer to fight the republic. And that Revan needed both Jedi and Sith to fight the war that it to come against the True sith. Notice the difference between Revan and Malak's Sith (Dark Jedi) and the True Sith!

I would think it would be good to this time start as one of those "True Sith". At the end, you could side with Revan / Exile and the other Jedi (Dark or light can be decided in game) or you could work your way up in the ranks of the true sith and claim the title of dark lord of the true sith.

Regardless, you end up defeating the leader of the True Sith in any case.

Master Vandar lives!

It looks like nothing has changed since I left this topic and forum for a few weeks. There are still a lot of people who wouldn't like to play as a Jedi in Kotor III. And as I said before, you can play both Kotor I and II as a "Non-Jedi", force powers and the lightsaber are only a game addition.

Well, sure. But that's clearly where the focus is. And I'm not saying that I myself wouldn't like to play as a Jedi, I'm just sure there are plenty of people who'd give a mundane class a roll through or two.

And then, there are the people who think that we shouldn't make a "Kotor III" as a continuation of Kotor II. Are there really no ways this could be done well??!!

Probably, but I don't see them. Not if we're following the Unknown Regions storyline. I would very much not like to play as Revan again, simply because he's not my character. A possibility that I could live with would be playing one of these new, anonymous, non-epic Jedi that your companions from KotOR II apparently stay behind to train.

I would think it would be good to this time start as one of those "True Sith". At the end, you could side with Revan / Exile and the other Jedi (Dark or light can be decided in game) or you could work your way up in the ranks of the true sith and claim the title of dark lord of the true sith.

Regardless, you end up defeating the leader of the True Sith in any case.

You forgot one crucial element: a "True Sith" with amnesia.

I would say that the people who would like to play as a non jedi IMO should make a storyline proposal which could deal with this.

Could you explain this please? I don't know what it means, it's not ment as sarcasm but English isn't my mother language.

Master Vandar lives!

I would say that the people who would like to play as a non jedi IMO should make a storyline proposal which could deal with this.

There are tons of ways. Hell, if BioWare wanted to, we could have played as Carth for all of K1 and the story wouldn't have changed that much. We just wouldn't have trained on Dantooine.

Could you explain this please? I don't know what it means, it's not ment as sarcasm but English isn't my mother language.

He's poking fun at Obsidian, I think.

Edited by kotorkyle

There are tons of ways. Hell, if BioWare wanted to, we could have played as Carth for all of K1 and the story wouldn't have changed that much. We just wouldn't have trained on Dantooine.

Play as Carth?? Perish the thought. But he could probalby get good discounts by whining to the store clerks enough times.

The problem about K3 is that K1 was a good one shot not intended to be made into a trilogy or even have a sequel.  They should let KotOR die and start over with a new trilogy, a game set that is designed from the beginning to be a trilogy.

Never a truer word spoken :ninja:

They should do to K2 the same thing they did with that ET game. Just pretend in never happend.

Not making a sequal to K2 wouldn't be such a problem if not for the fact that K2 was clearly written to have a sequal. If all this crap about the True Sith and everything else isn't wrapped up, then K2's entire plot really means nothing, and the cliffhanger ending will suck 10x worse. That, or LA could just dismiss K2 as "uncanonical". <_<

No problem. I actually did mean it as sarcasm. I was indeed poking fun at Obsidian; I don't like the story that has the character starting out as a Jedi/Sith who has forgotten everything he ever knew about being a Jedi/Sith. Doing it for a third time in a row would just be a bit too much. George Lucas got away with two Death Stars, but imagine a Death Star assault at the end of every single movie. It'd get kind of boring, no?

They should do to K2 the same thing they did with that ET game. Just pretend in never happend.

What ET game?

It's commonly reffered to as the worst game ever made. Almost all the copies that the game sold were returned, that's about 5 million unused games. They were buried in a New Mexio landfill.

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm01.htm

No problem. I actually did mean it as sarcasm. I was indeed poking fun at Obsidian; I don't like the story that has the character starting out as a Jedi/Sith who has forgotten everything he ever knew about being a Jedi/Sith. Doing it for a third time in a row would just be a bit too much. George Lucas got away with two Death Stars, but imagine a Death Star assault at the end of every single movie. It'd get kind of boring, no?

Well, if you start as a true sith you doesn't have to be one who forgot about all his/her powers, do you?

I do agree with you that this time we shouldn't start with a jedi who forgot about the force.

Master Vandar lives!

I say you don't have to start out as a jedi at all.  Let the player choose if he or she wants to play a jedi or not.

Yeah, don't rob us of the opportunity to see all the players come here and whine about how they can't kill the first Jedi Master/Sith Lord they come across, because they didn't pick a Jedi and he totally pwns them... That's gonna leave a scar to miss that. Let them play as mindless gizka and dodge poachers all day if they want!

I wouldn't mind something like the non-jedi class system as in K1 with the later option to join the Jedi, Sith or Mandalorians in their struggle to dominate or fortify their position in the galaxy...but just as a freelancer - not unless it's gonna be a new MMO and I'd really hate to see that.

(Signatures: disabled)