KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Another possible bonus to the dream sequence idea, which I support. The unknown nature and content of the dream may provide an impetus for the MC to travel. Perhaps he visits dream interpreters or some such on his home planet, or elsewhere.

Which brings me to another point. Please actually give the character some concrete origin this time around, instead of he's the defeated supreme bad guy with amnesia or a random fallen soldier with a force disease. The character should not just be dropped into the world completely blank of connection other than that applying directly to the main narrative. This is not to say that he/she has to be important or powerful, merely that no one is completely without backstory. It doesnt even have to be a major thing. Maybe have him/her start out on the home planet and interact with family and friends and such, just to give the character a base in the universe. You can make the character who you want it to be, but no one has complete freedom over their own history.

Now, getting back to the dream interpreters, it might be a nice way to introduce non-Jedi/Sith force traditions as well, expanding the setting significantly and even if to a slight degree making the Jedi less godlike as they are not alone in their power.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

So you actually play the two characters even tho they inevitably bite it?

Yes. They are only there for closure and to link the old games to the new one (through the dream the new character is having).

Both of those things are important I think.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Which brings me to another point. Please actually give the character some concrete origin this time around, instead of he's the defeated supreme bad guy with amnesia or a random fallen soldier with a force disease. The character should not just be dropped into the world completely blank of connection other than that applying directly to the main narrative. This is not to say that he/she has to be important or powerful, merely that no one is completely without backstory. It doesnt even have to be a major thing. Maybe have him/her start out on the home planet and interact with family and friends and such, just to give the character a base in the universe. You can make the character who you want it to be, but no one has complete freedom over their own history.

I agree with this. Not only that I also think it's important. A young character with no "baggage" and some family (like the saying goes you can choose your friends but not your family). Dosnt have to be their real family of course :ermm:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So has Obsidian or LucasArts mentioned that a third title is even possible?  I mean I have skipped thru this thread here and there but haven't like really read or heard anything about their thoughts.

Since Lucas owns the property outright it's always possible from their perspective.

Whether or not Obsidian wants to make it or LA wants them to make it is another matter.

478327[/snapback]

So has Obsidian or LucasArts mentioned that a third title is even possible?  I mean I have skipped thru this thread here and there but haven't like really read or heard anything about their thoughts.

Since Lucas owns the property outright it's always possible from their perspective.

Whether or not Obsidian wants to make it or LA wants them to make it is another matter.

Well hopefully they do. I think the idea is still marketable, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Barrendall

Well hopefully they do.  I think the idea is still marketable, but that's just my opinion.

No doubt although I would think they would wait for the next gen machines to saturate in sufficient quantity first.

478327[/snapback]

I'd rather have K3 be centered around Revan and the Exile, but if it works it works.

I was seeing something more like the Exile and T3 arrive on Coruscant as the Exile informs the Jedi Council that she's off to chase Revan in the Unknown Regions. She goes there (without T3 although he knows where she went) and meets Revan. After this point I haven't totally formulated what happens after this but there could be an awesome lightsaber duel set to "Duel of the Fates". I'm not sure on how the outcome is, but neither one dies.

Then things take us to Tatooine where Carth and Bastila are gazing at the sunset. Bastila senses (with the Force) that something terrible just happened, and because of it's strength she begins to fear that it had something to do with Revan

Eventually they do some stuff (I haven't completely formulated what goes here yet)

You eventually see Revan and a Nihilus-mask-wearing Exile standing side by side in the ****pit of the Ebon Hawk (where you can either cut to the credits or have some big battle)

I kinda wanted to see K3 look like EP3...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Why don't they let the PC'ers have first crack at it like they did with #1?

I mean KoToR did come out on the PC first right?

Dont think so. Came about about 6 months after the Xbox version.

478327[/snapback]

I'd rather have K3 be centered around Revan and the Exile, but if it works it works.

I was seeing something more like the Exile and T3 arrive on Coruscant as the Exile informs the Jedi Council that she's off to chase Revan in the Unknown Regions. She goes there (without T3 although he knows where she went) and meets Revan. After this point I haven't totally formulated what happens after this but there could be an awesome lightsaber duel set to "Duel of the Fates". I'm not sure on how the outcome is, but neither one dies.

Then things take us to Tatooine where Carth and Bastila are gazing at the sunset. Bastila senses (with the Force) that something terrible just happened, and because of it's strength she begins to fear that it had something to do with Revan

Eventually they do some stuff (I haven't completely formulated what goes here yet)

You eventually see Revan and a Nihilus-mask-wearing Exile standing side by side in the ****pit of the Ebon Hawk (where you can either cut to the credits or have some big battle)

It sounds nice in theory and as a story it would work fine since you would be in control of every outcome. However as a games designer you are not in control of every single outcome so you would have to allow a branch off for every possible eventuality. Especailly if you intend to recycle old NPC's.

Even if you take something basic like speech. For every line you gave Revan you would need to record two versions (unless you did a gobledegook voice).

Ok dosnt sound too bad, but thats space and time you could be using to for something else.

Both Carth and Bastila could be dead (since you could kill them in KOTOR) which again means you need to do that entire sequence again in another way.

I'm sure whoever is writing would much rather write their own characters than simply recycle someone elses. Although I think you would probably need T-3 (he's easy anyway) and HK-47 since the are the R2D2 and 3PO of the series.

478327[/snapback]

It sounds nice in theory and as a story it would work fine since you would be in control of every outcome. However as a games designer you are not in control of every single outcome so you would have to allow a branch off for every possible eventuality. Especailly if you intend to recycle old NPC's.

Even if you take something basic like speech. For every line you gave Revan you would need to record two versions (unless you did a gobledegook voice).

Ok dosnt sound too bad, but thats space and time you could be using to for something else.

Both Carth and Bastila could be dead (since you could kill them in KOTOR) which again means you need to do that entire sequence again in another way.

I'm sure whoever is writing would much rather write their own characters than simply recycle someone elses. Although I think you would probably need T-3 (he's easy anyway) and HK-47 since the are the R2D2 and 3PO of the series.

There were two lines for every mentioning of Revan and the Exile in II, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for III

Also about the every possibility feature, I think that's why it's good to determine what's canon and what's not so you can write for 2 characters instead of 8. (Unless you want 8 games in 1 [or something like KOTOR II where it almost really didn't matter what you did in terms of alignment you were basically going to end up doing the same thing])

Letting Revan be open for gender/alignment was OK because he wasn't seen at all and all that affected was a few lines of speech. I think here's where we need to determine what's canon and go off of that, because the series is developing around these 2 (or :ermm: characters, and it would help knowing who and what they are.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

There were two lines for every mentioning of Revan and the Exile in II, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for III

Also about the every possibility feature, I think that's why it's good to determine what's canon and what's not so you can write for 2 characters instead of 8. (Unless you want 8 games in 1 [or something like KOTOR II where it almost really didn't matter what you did in terms of alignment you were basically going to end up doing the same thing])

Letting Revan be open for gender/alignment was OK because he wasn't seen at all and all that affected was a few lines of speech. I think here's where we need to determine what's canon and go off of that, because the series is developing around these 2 (or :( characters, and it would help knowing who and what they are.

Whether or not it worked is debatable. If messing around trying to make everything fit into the KOTOR continuity meant that the droid planet was scrapped and the ending wasnt as good as it should be, then I'd say it definately didnt work.

We are approaching this from two different angles I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But your looking for your "ideal" KOTORIII ending. Where as I am looking for minimal need to worry about continuity and for maximum focus on the game at hand, not the games and characters that have gone before. Giving the writers and designers a chance to write a story unencumered by the first two games.

I think that train of thought is flawed. First off it alienates people new to the series since they dont feel the same connection to those characters.

These characters are getting older and older and I for one dont want to see KOTOR XII with any of them. It also means that writers and designers dont get to put their own mark on the series, but rather recycle other peoples work.

Look at it like this. KOTOR II had to incorporate continuity from KOTOR which in turn meant less time to focus on KOTOR II in it's own right. Now if you repeat that pattern KOTOR III will have to focus on continuity not only from KOTOR , but also KOTOR II. Which again means even less focus on KOTOR III. If you followed that on , you would end up with a mess of continuity and very little actual game (which is why comic series go through those reinventions every so often).

KOTOR III is going to be on a new platform which is the ideal time to cut the strings since it means that you will get more new people playing.

478327[/snapback]

We are approaching this from two different angles I think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But your looking for your "ideal" KOTORIII ending. Where as I am looking for minimal need to worry about continuity and for maximum focus on the game at hand, not the games and characters that have gone before. Giving the writers and designers a chance to write a story unencumered by the first two games.

Which kinda reminds me of how KOTOR II went. "OK, we'll solve the problem of 'Where's the previous character?' by just wrapping up his state of being and go on with our character." We wrap up Revan and the Exile by killing them off (their state of being) and going on with our new character (the one who sees the nightmare).

Look at it like this. KOTOR II had to incorporate continuity from KOTOR which in turn meant less time to focus on KOTOR II in it's own right. Now if you repeat that pattern KOTOR III will have to focus on continuity not only from KOTOR , but also KOTOR II. Which again means even less focus on KOTOR III. If you followed that on , you would end up with a mess of continuity and very little actual game (which is why comic series go through those reinventions every so often).

Continuity for how many characters? Again following the contiuity of 4 Revans and 4 Exiles will be a mess, as opposed to 1 Revan and 1 Exile. As an example, I'll just use the Command & Conquer franchise. Each game had more than one ending, but only one ending ended up being canon (usually that "ideal" ending), otherwise the further out you would have had more continuity issues. Now granted, they were developed back when games could be produced in a year and it would have been less of a problem then than now, and I know that this isn't a military RTS, this is an RPG. Also, having a set canon can free up the writers a little bit without having to write out 20+ scenarios because they have to compensate for each character of continuity.

At least that's how I see it.

DAWUSS

Actually the only one I would say the PC is superior at is RTS. Otherwise it's mostly a case of simply being so used to a mouse a keyboard combo. Took me a while to break that particular piece of conditioning.

you are forgetting MMORPG's

Which kinda reminds me of how KOTOR II went. "OK, we'll solve the problem of 'Where's the previous character?' by just wrapping up his state of being and go on with our character." We wrap up Revan and the Exile by killing them off (their state of being) and going on with our new character (the one who sees the nightmare).

Continuity for how many characters? Again following the contiuity of 4 Revans and 4 Exiles will be a mess, as opposed to 1 Revan and 1 Exile. As an example, I'll just use the Command & Conquer franchise. Each game had more than one ending, but only one ending ended up being canon (usually that "ideal" ending), otherwise the further out you would have had more continuity issues. Now granted, they were developed back when games could be produced in a year and it would have been less of a problem then than now, and I know that this isn't a military RTS, this is an RPG. Also, having a set canon can free up the writers a little bit without having to write out 20+ scenarios because they have to compensate for each character of continuity.

At least that's how I see it.

Revan was biowares character not Obsidians. Aside from fanfic writers. Writers prefer their own characters rather than to write someone elses. They could still use the Exile, but the characters are just not playable at that sort of level in the same way. And starting them off at level 1 again would just be pathetic.

By choosing a canon ending your basically saying nothing you did was important since there will be a fixed outcome anyway. It's also completely weird if a character you played a the incarnation of evil pops up as Jedi.

At least by killing off the characters you are treating everyone equally as well as giving them a chance at one last glorious battle. But most important you are removing some of the obstacles that contributed to KOTOR II being "incomplete".

Command and Conquer isnt an RPG so attachment isnt there.

478327[/snapback]

The whole premise of a KotOR 3 is flawed.  Let the series die and make a new CRPG Star Wars series that is built, from the ground up, as a trilogy.

No developer would do that though. It would basically be the same to say to rest of the industry (and fans) "Yup, f*cked up reeaaal bad on this one, folks. But don't worry, we got it all set up for a new trilogy that will be much better".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The more I read this thread the more I hope that the Exile and Revan kill each other.

If they kill each other (which I'll hate to see if it's done even the slightest bit wrong), it should be done at the game's climax

of course both of them being killed by a gizka would be too funny (and then too lame)

If we do introduce a new character, then his/her story should be resolved by the end of the game if both Revan and the Exile end up dead before the credits roll. Revan and the Exile currently seem to (and probably will) be the core of he KOTOR series.

DAWUSS