KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

the other day i only just realised how dumb consoles were. i mean, you can do it all with your computer just by investing in it's own hardware instead. this revelation has changed my opinion about consoles and i like pc for gaming better now. plus you can do more with the keyboard, seriously, a lot more.

<second opinion>

but the consoles aren't that bad. there is something satisfying about slapping in a cartridge and immediately being cast into an unadulterated state of playing. However, as the nex-gen consoles get more and more multimedia capabilities, i see the line between console and computer thinning.

<free rant>

multimedia is so stupid. everything is multimedia nowadays. My cell phone reeks of options that it shouldn't have, i.e. GPS. okay, i don't want people knowing where i am at, and i don't need a GPS. Nobody ever uses their cell phone's GPS. even a person who is stranded and lost would want to be found the old fashioned way, not with their phone. phones should stay phones, the "cell" doesn't make it more than transportable. Also, i currently can't buy a houseware appliance that doesn't say my name when i activate it. For instance, when i go to cook something in the microwave, i have to shuffle through the address book menu and built-in dvd player just to nuke my corndog. My socks sing "jingle bells" and have wireless networking capabilities. The only thing not multimedia in my house is my dog, and he is also disturbed when the automated food dish/thermometer violates his private space unwarranted. my computer is enough multimedia for me, and it does its job better than the alarm clock/mp3/scheduler could.

so please, anybody that makes anything, don't make it multimedia unless it is actually practical.

the other day i only just realised how dumb consoles were. i mean, you can do it all with your computer just by investing in it's own hardware instead. this revelation has changed my opinion about consoles and i like pc for gaming better now. plus you can do more with the keyboard, seriously, a lot more.

For some reason I feel like saying "like Duh".

Yes you can buy PC hardware that will do what a console can. But not in the same price range.

Second how many noteworthy games are released on the PC before that hardware is again obsolete.

Well you can type on a keyboard :D But even if you have the keys your still always going to be limited by the abilities of the person. No one could actually play a game that required the constant use of every key on the keyboard.

The revolution is going to change the rules with it's pointy device anyway.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Thing is I hate having to use multiple machines. I like to have one machine that does everything. Play games, run Word and Acrobat, surf on the net, and so forth. Just one machine and one machine only please. When Consoles can do that I will gladly make the complete switch over.

Thing is I hate having to use multiple machines.  I like to have one machine that does everything.  Play games, run Word and Acrobat, surf on the net, and so forth.  Just one machine and one machine only please.  When Consoles can do that I will gladly make the complete switch over.

Dosnt really bother me. Means I dont have to bother updating a PC or ever "settle" by turning down the options. This one does the email and the webshopping (not like I couldnt find a device to do that but anyway).

As far as the consoles go, well I've got 3. All you need to do to switch between then is flick a switch on the appropriate power point and select which Scart socket you want active (even I with my laziness as an artform can accomplish these two tasks without feeling put upon).

As far as effort goes, well it's a good deal less than downloading patches, updating drivers and all that jumping through hoops that owning a PC gaming machine entails.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

As far as effort goes, well it's a good deal less than downloading patches, updating drivers and all that jumping through hoops that owning a PC gaming machine entails.

I think the 360 is changing this.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

A PC only Kotor III. No problem for me. But that isn't going to happen I think. And, I really don't mind at all. I mean, at least I can run both Kotor games fine on my P4 1,8 Ghz with 1 Gb memory and a Geforce 4 Ti 4200. Pretty old equipment I would say (3 years, apart from the Ram upgrade I made).

But Hades One opinion that Kotor III shouldn't be made?!

Well, no one forces you to buy this game, and good that you are not the CEO of Lucasarts. It is not your decision.

Master Vandar lives!

Well, no problem.  Just convince LucasArts and whoever ends up developing the game that a console title will not sell as well as a PC title.  Probably not going to happen, right?  Even Obsidian sold out, if I recall corectly; isn't New Jersey a console exclusive?

How is it selling out ? They made games for the PC when the PC was the most successful platform. Now the PC is waning as a gaming platform they are making them for something else.

Don't recall anyone ever saying we will only make PC games for all time do you ?

Except that it is selling out. You can argue that consoles are getting close, but they're not there yet, in terms of the sheer depth of a game that can run on a PC. There are inherent limitations in console titles, prominent amongst them the fact that a controller only has so many buttons. The PC simply allows better control in almost every genre save sports, and even that is probably debatable. Modability is also nonexistent, and while that might not be a big issue depending on which gamer you talk to, games like Counter-Strike never would have been made without the ability to actually dig around in a game's guts. The normal console doesn't allow that.

I like looking at how the different platforms started out. Consoles essentially ported arcade games to the television. Computers did their own thing with the likes of first-person shooters, strategy games, simulations, and roleplaying games, much moreso than consoles ever did or attempted to do until recently. Compare a side-scroller's depth to the depth of even something fairly early and unsophisticated like Wolfenstein 3D, or Doom. I'm not saying that consoles haven't greatly improved in that department over the years, and it's entirely possible that a sort of synergy will occur in coming years, but right now truly "deep" games can only be brought out on the PC.

Selling out, by definition, is following the money whether it's your personal inclination or not. Console titles may very well be Obsidian's personal inclination. If the developers ever bothered to post in their own forums, I'm sure they'd pile on a load of talk about the wonderous possibilities of the console. It's probably a great business decision, too. EA makes great business decisions all the time, and they're widely regarded as the evil empire of the development world. Does it stop people from buying their games? Not many. A lot of great studios that have gamers' respect have gone under in the past because they refused to shovel out crap and stuck with what they liked making, and what their fanbase liked playing. It's the old love or money choice. Guy A sells out and starts working for the big corporation, pulling eighty hours a week and not having time to enjoy the money he's making, despite being richer than God. Guy B goes down to the islands and starts up a charter fishing company that struggles to make ends meet from year to year, but he's having the time of his life. Which one made the right decision?

Except that it is selling out.  You can argue that consoles are getting close, but they're not there yet, in terms of the sheer depth of a game that can run on a PC.  There are inherent limitations in console titles, prominent amongst them the fact that a controller only has so many buttons.  The PC simply allows better control in almost every genre save sports, and even that is probably debatable.  Modability is also nonexistent, and while that might not be a big issue depending on which gamer you talk to, games like Counter-Strike never would have been made without the ability to actually dig around in a game's guts.  The normal console doesn't allow that. 

Well first off there is no standard PC.

Beat um Ups ?

Actually the only one I would say the PC is superior at is RTS. Otherwise it's mostly a case of simply being so used to a mouse a keyboard combo. Took me a while to break that particular piece of conditioning.

I'm buying a game. If I wanted to make games I'd go get paid for doing it.

PC games are low quality pieces of junk which hardly ever work out of the box. Developers might want to address that.

Obsidian is new to the market and it's a console market how are they selling out ?

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Well first off there is no standard PC.

Beat um Ups ?

Actually the only one I would say the PC is superior at is RTS. Otherwise it's mostly a case of simply being so used to a mouse a keyboard combo. Took me a while to break that particular piece of conditioning.

I'm buying a game. If I wanted to make games I'd go get paid for doing it.

PC games are low quality pieces of junk which hardly ever work out of the box. Developers might want to address that.

There's no standard PC, no, but if you people genuinely have trouble making a game work on your system, I don't know what to tell you. I got conned into picking up a rather substandard graphics card when I bought my new computer from Dell, simply because I didn't know any better and I don't game as much as I used to in the first place. I can still get things to run, and I haven't had a problem yet with getting them to do it on the very first try. I'm far from tech-savvy when it comes to general computer hardware, so if you guys truly have that many problems, you must be a lot worse off than I am.

The keyboard and mouse combo's part of the issue, but it's one that could be easily solved by tacking those accessories onto a console. My point was larger than that. The PC originated every genre except the platformer, and maybe sports. You think Baldur's Gate would've gotten made without the PC? Or Icewind Dale? Or Myst? Or my old standby example, Counter-Strike? Doom? Wolfenstein? Command and Conquer? Age of Empires? Civilization? No.

The console does not support the small or independent developer. The console doesn't support the fresh idea, or the unique game. The console is by its very nature to play it safe, hit a wide audience, and be damned to whether or not the game's worthwhile. If people will pay for it, you've done your job. It's the business model of gaming, as opposed to the artistic model. You follow the money exclusively, you turn into EA. EA makes good games. EA does not make games with soul. I have several games that reside very fondly in my memory as experiences rather than simple diversions. Aces Over Europe. Doom. Myst. Pirates. Alpha Centauri. None of those were made by huge companies that were all about the profit. That's what the industry is turning into, on all platforms, but at least on the PC there's always the chance that a core group of dedicated individuals can come up with something truly brilliant, like Creative Assembly.

It's a good business decision to sell out. If your motives are purely mercenary, there's nothing wrong with it. Me? I'll take a game developer who creates something truly great over a company attempting to clone EA's triumph of mediocrity any day of the week.

There's no standard PC, no, but if you people genuinely have trouble making a game work on your system, I don't know what to tell you.  I got conned into picking up a rather substandard graphics card when I bought my new computer from Dell, simply because I didn't know any better and I don't game as much as I used to in the first place.  I can still get things to run, and I haven't had a problem yet with getting them to do it on the very first try.  I'm far from tech-savvy when it comes to general computer hardware, so if you guys truly have that many problems, you must be a lot worse off than I am.

The keyboard and mouse combo's part of the issue, but it's one that could be easily solved by tacking those accessories onto a console.  My point was larger than that.  The PC originated every genre except the platformer, and maybe sports.  You think Baldur's Gate would've gotten made without the PC?  Or Icewind Dale?  Or Myst?  Or my old standby example, Counter-Strike?  Doom?  Wolfenstein?  Command and Conquer?  Age of Empires?  Civilization?  No. 

The console does not support the small or independent developer.  The console doesn't support the fresh idea, or the unique game.  The console is by its very nature to play it safe, hit a wide audience, and be damned to whether or not the game's worthwhile.  If people will pay for it, you've done your job.  It's the business model of gaming, as opposed to the artistic model.  You follow the money exclusively, you turn into EA.  EA makes good games.  EA does not make games with soul.  I have several games that reside very fondly in my memory as experiences rather than simple diversions.  Aces Over Europe.  Doom.  Myst.  Pirates.  Alpha Centauri.  None of those were made by huge companies that were all about the profit.  That's what the industry is turning into, on all platforms, but at least on the PC there's always the chance that a core group of dedicated individuals can come up with something truly brilliant, like Creative Assembly.

It's a good business decision to sell out.  If your motives are purely mercenary, there's nothing wrong with it.  Me?  I'll take a game developer who creates something truly great over a company attempting to clone EA's triumph of mediocrity any day of the week.

Why dont you tell the people over at civfanatics why their game wont work.

My getting things to run entails putting in the disk and switching the machine on. Thats applied to every console game I've bought this month (been an expensive month too).

I downloaded two PC demo's earlier. Had to get new drivers, update DX etc. Compared to some of the rigmaroll thats childs play. Of course there are those times when you just have to wait for someone to actually release a patch because the game dosnt work period on your system.

Well for every IWD you have Final Fantasy , not to mention the other plethora of JRPGs. Strategy games like Front Mission and so on.

Theres a very simple reason why console games didnt make certain types of games. It's because until quite recently console games have been dictated by the Japanese gaming preferences. Hence lots of RPGs/Strategy games and no RTS/FPS games. It's not that you cant do them on a console, it's just that the market wasnt previously there.

Actually SMAC was published by EA. :)"

As a new company I dont see how they are selling out. They are making things for the existing market.

Most of the stuff on the PC is dross anyway. The top end stuff requires a seriously expensive kit to run without compromise.

478327[/snapback]

Sure, but the EA of, what, two decades ago?  Bungie's a very different company now than from when it was making games for the Mac.  We could very well be saying, "Man, remember when Obsidian used to create good games, rather than this action-RPG console crap?" ten years from now.

Pirates was published by Atari.

SMAC isnt 20 years old btw according to the book it was 1999 which is 6 years ago.

Obsidian have only created one game so far.

478327[/snapback]

Sure, but the EA of, what, two decades ago?  Bungie's a very different company now than from when it was making games for the Mac.  We could very well be saying, "Man, remember when Obsidian used to create good games, rather than this action-RPG console crap?" ten years from now.

Pirates was published by Atari.

SMAC isnt 20 years old btw according to the book it was 1999 which is 6 years ago.

Obsidian have only created one game so far.

I didn't mean the game itself was twenty years old, I basically meant that EA hadn't undergone the...I don't even know how to describe it. The growth and change in philosophy, if you will, that we find in the EA of today. Or at least, what some would claim we find in the EA of today.

I didn't mean the game itself was twenty years old, I basically meant that EA hadn't undergone the...I don't even know how to describe it.  The growth and change in philosophy, if you will, that we find in the EA of today.  Or at least, what some would claim we find in the EA of today.

Well how could a game that wasnt 20 years old be published by a two decade old EA ?

Could it be that people are just looking for someone to blame because the market no longer see's their platform as the "golden child". In perspective there were gaming platforms prior to the PC it's only logical that there will be gaming platforms after.

Spiraling costs and a relatively fixed product price means there is only one avenue for profit and thats volume. The same is true on the PC unless you want to be one of those wannabe titles that everyone ignores.

The idea that the PC was the founder of all these generes is also "romantic nonsense" :)

478327[/snapback]

Getting back on topic instead of talking about stupid consoles. :p

No amnesia or suddenly regain the use of the Force stories. It's been done try something new. You could start out as a padawan during the Revan and Exile time period.

No random loot of try and make it smarter. We don't need a dozen Bindo Bands or Exar Kuns armor.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I think there are too many loose ends that need to be tied before introducing a new PC, IMO

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Halo III has been anounced for 360 :angry: . It stinks how KOTOR III hasn't even been mentioned for Xbox360 when eveyone would buy it if it had a chance. But LA just seems to be slacking :angry:

I say we ALL should swamp LA with KOTOR III letters so we get our KOTOR III.

even better :blink:

(P.S I say anyone who wants Kotor III should go On a siggy Kotor III rampage!

Highlight only if you want to join the KOTOR III Rampage!

You have highlighted this because you have agreed to join the Siggy KOTOR III rampage to join just put this in your siggy:Join The Kotor III Rampage!! We Want Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic III!!!

anyone agree or disaagree?

Edited by Bastilla_Skywalker

Calm the hell down ,sister!The more time they work on K3 the better the gameplay will be :huh: , they'll announce it alright just give em' time.

EDIT:And besides, petitions and 'rampages' don't really catch the company's interest so it's pointless

And Halo rocks, Master Chief beats starwars in my opinion.

Edited by jodo kast 5

Calm the hell down ,sister!The more time they work on K3 the better the gameplay will be :blink: , they'll announce it alright just give em' time.

We like to stay informed on games we'd love to play. Now, we all hope LA and others are developing the KOTOR III that will put Halo and Zelda to shame, but actually knowing and hoping are two different things.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.