Jedi resemble which eastern class?

Jedi resemble which eastern class?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Jedi resemble which eastern class?

• Samurai (knight)
    • Kensai (sword saint)
    • Sohei (warrior monk)
    • Bushi (soldier)
    • Shukenja (cleric)
    • Wujen (mage)
    • other (..explain)

I've heard of a Samurai but nothing else. I know from I think movie commentary that the Jedi were modelled on Japanese/Samurai stuff (kinda obvious from the robes and the padawan hair from EpI/EpII).

What are Kensai, Sohei, Bushi, Shukenja and Wujen: I have no idea.

I do know what Samurai :lol: and Hentai :-" are though.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

From what brief research I've done right now, here are the descriptions of each class:

The SAMURAI is the absolutely dedicated upper class soldier of the orient, true to his lord and the code of bushido. Trained to fight from horseback or on the ground, they are especially skilled in the katana, a very potent oriental sword, and usually in the daikyu, the equivalent of a long bow with a design to facilitate firing from horseback. The samurai will die at his own hand if so ordered by his daimyo.

The KENSAI is traditionally the oriental sword saint expanded to cover all oriental weapons, martial arts styles, and attack methods. This is the individual who steps into the street and impresses his opponent with a brilliant display of weapon maneuvering before joining combat. Kensai often have to face other kensai in duels to prove their courage, honor, and skill, and advancement often requires that such a duel be fought and won, but duels need not be fatal.

The SOHEI is a trained temple guard, combining certain aspects of the cleric with some related to the fighter. Magic and combat skills are both limited somewhat, but the character combines them effectively. Sohei generally are assigned to specific tasks by their superiors.

The SHUKENJA is a wandering holy man of the orient, dedicated to helping others. Although trained to defend himself at need, it is a great dishonor to him to be forced to kill even an enemy.

The BUSHI is the standard peasant fighter of the orient. Poor and hard working, they have special skills which make them welcome in any non-hostile community and reduce their expenses.

The WU JEN is the magic user of the oriental world. They are never lawful, and have the reputation of being rather crazy, partly due to their hermit-like separation from society, and partly due to the taboos they acquire which require them to do odd things or to avoid ordinary ones. Their magic is closest in variety and power to that of magic users, and they gain additional power by mastering "elements", learning all of the spells connected to one of the oriental alchemic elements.

I'd say Jedi are at least supposed to be something like Shukenja. Not that they are always like that. As Atton said (I think): "Jedi are always pacifists except in the times of war".

Jedi have little common with oriental classes even if they share asian faith in non-personal force that rules the universe. They're pacifists and don't consider themselves warriors.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I vote for Hentai(pervert). Always running around with their big shiny "swords" and stuff.

and just waiting to bring out the tentacles...

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Prepare for a long post!

Firsly, was the that they each follow a strict code, that teaches them the rules. The Jedi follow a code of 5 steps, as do the Samurai. The Samurai code is the 5 rings. Earth, Water, Wind, Fire and The Void were created by the greatest Samurai ever, called Musashi Miyamoto, also known as Kensai, or Saint of the Sword. This Samurai code is used to acheive enlighenment for the Samurai, to find their way, to acheive peace. The Jedi use their code as a means to acheieve enlighenment, peace and to find their way in some sense.

(These interpretations will not be exact, but will give you an idea.)

Earth is "the Ethics of the Samurai are buried deep in the ground."

Water is "Hone your skills."

Wind is "Learn the opoonents tactics to defeat him."

Fire is "Face the enemy without fear."

The Void is "You must now forget everything about the four previous rings in order to acheive enlighenment."

Can you see the similarities between the Jedi and Samurai here.

A quote from Yoda. "You must unlearn, what you have learned."

Next, was the weapons. For the Jedi, it is there badge of office, what gives them there identity. Each saber is unique to the Jedi that creates it. The saber is perhaps the Jedi's most important item.. The Samurai swords were unique to the owners, as each Samurai would give their swords names. For the Samurai, their sword is their soul, their most important item.

The Samurai learn more than combat, they learn poetry, art, peaceful ventures. The Jedi epitomize peace, and always seek to avoid combat. Yet the Jedi still learn combat.

There were female Samurai beleive it or not, just as there are female Jedi. Both are not sexist to the males. (For Samurai, it is based on family heritage, but you can see my point).

The Samurai are extremly loyal to their warlord. The Jedi are very loyal to the Jedi Masters. (Well most of the Jedi, since some Jedi fall to the Dark Side).

The Samurai do not fear death, and. The Jedi do not fear death either, since the final part of their code is "There is no death, there is the force."

Only the very best Jedi and Samurai become Masters in their arts, and for each, it takes a lot oftime and commitment

Finally, some Samurai are known as Ronin, wanderers, free spirits, since they do only what they want. We see this Ronin style take on life in Jolee. Jolee is a wanderer, a free spirit. He lives by himself in Kashyyyk, and safeguards the nature in Kashyyyk. He does what he feels like, by not taking the force to extremes, instead going for a passive, blurry grey approah to the force, and not following the teachings of the Jedi.

Your character in KOTOR2 could also be called a Ronin, as could Revan. They both defied the Jedi council, and did what they thought was right by fighting in the Mandalore Wars.

Personnely, i think that the Jedi are indeed based upon the Samurai. Not totally of course, but in many ways.

In case you can't tell, I vote Samurai.

Samurai were similar to their western counterpart, the european knights.

Yes. I can't get why people believe Samurai to be more honorable than other warriors serving their emperor. That is cult, legend, myth.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he