How "official" is KOTOR in the Star Wars universe

Some people on other boards have said that they don't like KOTOR because it is inconsistent with Star Wars and the previous stories established in the Expanded Universe.

One reason is that they say the name "Darth" was not used yet.

Another reason is that Dantooine isn't discovered yet.

IT's offical, and Darth and Dantooine are fine in the era. Stuff like The valley of the Dark Lords, Basilisk War Droids, and other small things are what cause continuity mess ups.

But either way LFL goes by continuity, and continuity alwasy over takes anything the KOTOR series does. I believe it's a ,we did it first, it goes our way policy.

That means in continuity the Valley of the Dark Lords and the Basilisk War Droid look like they are supposed to look.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

Its not official because it contradicts material that are higher in the EU food chain.

The only thing that is official is the movies, after then its the movies novelizations and then come the novels, the comic books with the video games being at the lowerest rank.

I would hope that KotOR fans stop looking at that series as anything but Infinities.

drakron.png

What's with Valley of the Dark Lords? Isn't that what it is called?

And there's also a possibilty something very very very big happens to the galaxy after KOTOR 2, perhaps through the massive killing there was no way to pass on information about Darth Revan, Malak, and the other Sith Lords.

When you consider the technology level of the movies, and compare it with the tech level of both the comics and kotor games, you sort of wonder why there isn't a bigger gap. I think that "something big" that happened lead to a dark age. That would give them an out as far as consistency and who had what first is concerned. Although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an official call on that...

I sppose I could deal with some of the things in the Kotor series to be considered in the EU timeline, but not Revan, or the exile. And if they make a third Kotor then the player you create shouldn't be considered either. They shouldn't be considered in the EU timeline because of the fact that they aren't defined characters. You got to pick alot of the variables about them...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Some people on other boards have said that they don't like KOTOR because it is inconsistent with Star Wars and the previous stories established in the Expanded Universe.

One reason is that they say the name "Darth" was not used yet.

Another reason is that Dantooine isn't discovered yet.

Dantooine is discovered. That's Master Vodo Siosk-Bass (sp?)'s homeworld. That's where Exar Kun, Sylvar, and Crado were trained in the ways of the Jedi. I personally don't care about that "Darth" thing because those Jedi vs. Sith comics are crap. WTF the Jedi are called "the brotherhood of light"?

KotOR is under the Star Wars Databank at starwars.com so I think it's pretty official.

They did it because they were tired of KotOR fans flooding then asking for it.

Yeah I guess they added TOTJ stuff to the databank because fanboys were flooding them asking for it right? :("

:(

KotOR is under the Star Wars Databank at starwars.com so I think it's pretty official.

They did it because they were tired of KotOR fans flooding then asking for it.

:devil:"

Most of the arthors for the EU are retarded. And yah KOTOR is official. You are going to find some conflicts in a *universe* that *doesnt really exsist*. Infact some of the books and comics that make up the eu are not as fluid as you may think. KOTOR 2... well thats a diffrent story... Bioware should have never passed on that project to Obsidian, a company whos greed is manifest by hastely releasing such a sloppy game...

Bass isn't from Dantooine, he just started the Academy there.

And Bane didn't create the Darth title. According to LFL the title was around long before Bane. There was a Darth Rivan before Bane, so bane couldn't have created the title.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

Most of the arthors for the EU are retarded.

There a lot of Good authors. Like for Example is Timothy Zahn.

Bioware should have never passed on that project to Obsidian, a company whos greed is manifest by hastely  releasing such a sloppy game...

Bioware never gave Obsidian the game. LucasArts can do anything with KOTOR series.

I always thought this was a bit strange:

The Kotor series is set 4,000 years before the movies. But basically all the planets that feature in the game from the movies look exactly the same. And all the technology from the movies is almost the same as the stuff in the movies.

I mean come on, look back on human kind 4000 years ago. Today we are so far more advanced and evolved than that, its un recognisable.

I think that planets and tech would have evolved more.

Yeah, I agree.

I suppose all sci fi movies and games are unrealistic. Just like when in the movies when they're flying through space you hear the lasers and the explosions etc., but in reality you wouldn't hear anything, because there is no sound in space. (sound waves need air to travel along).

Yeah, I agree.

I suppose all sci fi  movies and games are unrealistic. Just like when in the movies when they're flying through space you hear the lasers and the explosions etc., but in reality you wouldn't hear anything, because there is no sound in space. (sound waves need air to travel along).

Well, what you hear is the 'simulated sound' via their equipment, of course. :ph34r:

manthing2.jpg

Nothing in Star Wars in meant to be coherent or even make sense so it's a mistake to treat it as a consistent 'universe' in the first place.

In games you have the ultimate badass warriors because that's what gamers want to play with. Let alone discrepancies between games and movies, within the 'gaming' genre itself there are inconsistencies thanks to the screwed up levels system.

In comics you have the most banal displays of power because it seems that's what fans like and it's all possible to illustrate on paper so -why not?

One deeply banal aspect both of games and comics is that being 'good' or 'evil' is no longer a matter of deliberate action and choice (not even in the childish understanding of Lucas) but depends on freely swaying 'dark energies', 'light energies' and so on. How did Exar Kun corrupt his Jedi companions? Ultimately by some holocron energy right? Making evil zombies using crystals is an imbecile notion. Vader's 'fall' is a much better written story compared to the crap that happens to Kun and Qel Droma. ....poisoned into the dark side?????.....the parody of the parody of a parody

In the OT films you had far too many limitations as to effects, fights, etc. so that's why they turned out the way they did. Back then they had tremendous difficulty even to get Yoda feel a little more than a muppet: Today fans devote endless hours debating whether yoda is 'above lightsabers' because in the prequels, unlike the OT, BLA BLA BLA.....

It's all fluffy fantasy; and the greatest Sith Lord of all times is Lucas himself at the head of his 'empire of dreams'. Many people need such fluffy fantasy to relax a little and detract from daily worries but.....perhaps the key word is moderation: 1) This is not science fiction 2) It's not literature 3) It's not really 'myth' either 4) It's not meant to have *any* depth in *any* of its aspects.

.....There's no SW universe, there is SW MERCHANDISE......

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

How did Exar Kun corrupt his Jedi companions? Ultimately by some holocron energy right? Making evil zombies using crystals is an imbecile notion. Vader's 'fall' is a much better written story compared to the crap that happens to Kun and Qel Droma. ....poisoned into the dark side?????.....the parody of the parody of a parody

That could be potentially misleading to those who haven't read TotJ.

By unleashing Naga Sadow's holocron, Exar Kun released the trapped Ghosts of the Old Sith - thereby allowing them to possess the bodies of those hapless Jedi.

This does in fact adhere to the natue of the Star Wars universe, and is therefore quite plausible . >_<

manthing2.jpg

The point is still that people 'convert' or 'transform' into dark side beings; whole planets may be imbued with 'evil energy' and so on. That's even sillier than Lucas's moral tale.

before you start bashing the anti-SW blasphemer let me repeat that I do enjoy all this stuff and think it's a good diversion. When TSL comes out I'll dedicate dozens of hours into it, and already have spent much more than that, into films and comics. **What I'm trying to stress is that seriously brooding on SW -including questions as to continuity and the integrity of a universe, etc.- are pointless.**

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

I always thought this was a bit strange:

The Kotor series is set 4,000 years before the movies. But basically all the planets that feature in the game from the movies look exactly the same. And all the technology from the movies is almost the same as the stuff in the movies.

I mean come on, look back on human kind 4000 years ago.  Today we are so far more advanced and evolved than that, its un recognisable.

I think that planets and tech would have evolved more.

Thats because the Empire got stuff done. :D