Kotor VS TSL

After playing both, which is ur fav?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. After playing both, which is ur fav?

• Knights Of The Old Republic
    • Knights Of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
    • I can't decide ........ yet
    • I like them the same

I have that on my forums.  Only one user actually said she was female.  I know there are several other females on the forum, but they don't list their gender.

Check this thread out:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=1294

You break my brain.

Fnord.

You know, I'm getting a little tired of all those people telling us the game s*cks because "the story is weak" or "It has a sh*tload of bugs". I hear so many people say this, and only so few who actually enjoyed it. I'd like to make up my own mind about it. So please, people, the next time you are ranting, say: " I think the story is weak" and: "I encountered alot of bugs". Because in your general patronizing way of posting, you leave very little room for those who haven't played it. I mean, you even got Hades (who was here since the beginning) to not like the game on beforehand. I hate to see that this happens with other gamers too.

Just had to get it off my chest :thumbsup:

When people buy a game and experience few to no problems, they don't say anything. When they do experience problems, they bitch loudly.

Yet there are people on the forums here who have had no problems at all. My buddy Tony is playing KOTOR:2 at his house, and so is his roomate. Neither of them have had any problems. I think they may have a better print of the disc, and just haven't triggered any bugs.

I got the galaxy droid in KOTOR and ruined a save game. But not everyone did.

How many people have complained versus how many units are selling?

Flawed premesis, how can people complain about the game if they don't buy it(or loan it from their friends like I did) and more importantly most people won't bother to come to a forum to whine.

currently there's more people complaining about certain aspects of the game than there is defending them.(haven't checked the SPOILER part of the forum yet though).

and in any event, we're all entitled to our opinions and the forum exist here so that we can voice them.

Act civil now. :thumbsup:

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

(Long, first post of most probably nothing that hasn't been said. I really, really apologize.)

I just finished the game a few hours ago and feel like adding my two cents. As for my vote, I liked both games. They both had their strong points and flaws but as a whole, playing both games was time well-spent for me. (Even if, in retrospect, KOTOR 2, admittedly, isn't as solid as I wish it would be.)

I was prepared to write something pretty long (Um. Longer than this anyway.), explaining why I think such but I think there's more or less an agreement (though grudgingly for some) that KOTOR2 is a good game on its own (so I don't really have to elaborate). It has its bugs and glitches, its plot holes and questions but I think it does have a fighting chance against other RPGs in the market. Enjoying the game is a pretty relative thing anyway. I don't think the game is so bad that you want to chuck it out of the window. (It isn't bad at all.)

I disagree about the story being mediocre though. (Well, technically, I guess it can be described as mediocre because of the painfully obvious plot holes) But still, I found the plot to be more intense and profound than the first. The plot wasn't simply a 'saving the galaxy' sort of plot. It involved the characters in a deeper level. I found the characters equally engaging and I liked the fact that it was a darker story and things weren't as simple (though simple is good). Also, not being sure who to trust kept me on my feet and paying attention throughout the game. I don't know. If KOTOR and TSL were books, TSL would be more up my alley, I guess. (Without the plot holes.)

I found myself caring a lot about the plot in TSL. I really wanted to see what would happen. (As embarrassing as this is, I remember my main motivation during KOTOR was to advance the romance quest. Shh.) I really got more caught up in the plot.

Or it could be just because I played TSL more recently, thus remember it more clearly and be a little bit more sentimental.

I can't really refute the criticisms because a lot of them are true. There are so many aspects of this game that could have been improved. They already have a great plot in their hands. Note that these are criticisms though. Having a lot of them doesn't mean you suck. A lot of things were and are going against Obsidian. First of all was that deadline and second, they had a lot to live up to. TSL can't really avoid being compared to its predecessor and since its predecessor is a 'first' of many, you can't exactly expect them to beat the prestige of that.

I hope Obsidian does take note of these criticisms. Especially if they are going to make a third installment. (I hope they are.)

To sum up, I love it as much as I love KOTOR. (I guess we can attribute a little bit of nostalgia to that). Don't let the complaints discourage or influence you. It really depends on what you look for in a game. For me, it IS a good game. It DOES live up to its predecessor. Why would I play the sequel anyway? Because I really like/d the KOTOR universe and I really like/d the way their writers think and write. Honestly, I think I'd like anything KOTOR-related (and like them equally).

When I say the only thing KoTOR 2 got better at was gameplay that includes all the thing like robes and the enhanced workbench and other misc. improvements. My question is how do the npc's have more personality in KoTOR 2? They don't seem to effect the plot as much and once you hit a certain point with them, you can only ask the same questions over and over again without ever advancing to anything new or any sort of quests involving them like in the original. They still do have personality however, don't mistake saying I thought KoTOR 1 had more that KoTOR 2 didn't at all. And as far as the story being better in the orignal KoTOR, that is totally a matter of personal preference. They are both complex and interesting, but I just didn't like the way TSL went in the plot around the Exile. Please don't take this as complaing either as most people are assuming any time someone reveals something they didn't like. Just because someone says something negative about a game doesn't mean they don't like it, because I do like KoTOR 2. It ranks fourth in my list of all time favorite RPG's.

I really can't say until I get it in February.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I like them equally, but not in the same way. KOTOR 2 had all the new features and new feats and all that, but KOTOR 1 is better storywise and in other ways, like interaction with NPCs and among them. And the music was better.

I can't decide, really, but I have to say KOTOR 1 is just a tiny bit better. I say if you mix the positives of both games together you got yourself an excellent game.

How is he wrong?

He said cliffhanger.  You said he's wrong because there is no closure.

Last time I checked a cliffhanger lacks closure, but sets you up for the next installment.

You can disagree and say that you would prefer closure, but I don't think he's WRONG in saying it's a cliffhanger.

It's not really a cliffhanger either - it's just weak and unfinished.

Something like Half-Life 2, HALO 2 & Matrix Reloaded would constitute 'cliffhangers'. This was simply broken and ambiguous.

While I liked Matrix reloaded (HATED revolutions) I really can't say the ending constitutes that good of a cliffhanger. So Neo can use powers in the real world now, but it nearly kills him? That's stupid and isn't explained well enough for me in the 3rd installment.

I think the complaints about what happened to the party or what is a

mass shadow generator

are very valid.

The notion however that

there is a bigger sith threat and that Revan and Malak were not sith but rather Dark jedi calling themselves sith

really helped clear something up that I had been thinking of all during kotor.

Just to explain, the reason that Neo could affect the Sentinels in the real world is that he wasn't logged out of the Matrix. He was supposed to leave via a door in the source, but he didn't. His mind was still trapped in the Matrix, and he was stuck between two forms of consciousness.

I had to say I liked KOTOR more than TSL. I mean yes TSL had the new features and all...but I don't think it made the game better than the first.

On it's own TSL is really good, but the story in KOTOR was, if not better,so much more complete than TSL. They both have pros and cons but i think once you weigh them together KOTOR was better. But maybe my expectations for TSL were to high. :geek:

I'm playing TSL again so maybe I'll change my mind but for now KOTOR is still my fave game. :D