Return of Draconis

Dracomicron

Some shameless self-aggrandizement:

I, who was once known as Draconis on the Bioware and Black Isle boards, who had a cult dedicated to him and subsequently lost it, who inspired the inclusion of the Wild Mage in Throne of Bhaal, as well as a level boss of my same name, have returned, or, more appropriately, arrived at the new destination of my old friends in their grand new adventure.

Now I am a little older and wearier, no longer am I named Draconis, but Dracomicron. I have purchased an X-Box for the sole reason that I heard Feargus and his intrepid crew had a hand in Knights of the Old Republic 2...I have bought every one of their games on the day that they came out ever since Planescape: Torment. And I must say that, once again, I have not been let down. While other startup RPG game companies have faltered in their infancy and adolescence, Obsidian has started off strong. I am proud of their achievement...though I have not yet finished the game, I am about four planets in, and have very little bad to say about the game and quite a few nice things.

As in the first game, the graphics are very nice...the addition of flowing robes was a definite plus. The Dark Side options are fantastic...I'm playing a Sentinel/Sith Assassin, and I have been able to cause untold havoc in the galaxy without resorting to just being a brutal thug. Item creation and customization are things I've long been a proponent of. The NPC party member interaction is very fluid; I especially enjoy Kreia's wise but sinister council. The flexibility of the plot, allowing for variations based on motives, is rare in the industry...but not for this group of designers, of course. I got flashbacks to Planescape: Torment when I am presented with options for choosing my own destiny and, indeed, my very nature.

On the down side...It seems that the game could have used a little more QA testing, because the battles are almost universally on the easy side...though that might simply be a side effect of going Dark Side and settling every battle with repeated Force Storms, Emperor-style. I also question the increased customizability of lightsabres...don't get me wrong, I love having a pair of vibrating, ion charged death machines in-hand, but did we really need MORE incentive to use lightsabres?

Over all though, I am proud of Obsidian and their freshman effort, and am looking forward to buying more of their games in the future.

Dracomicron

Formerly Draconis, The Master of Deception

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

And it's funny... why, just the other day people were complaining about how badly done the DS path was in this game.  Little do they realize they don't have to commit to doing *every* possible evil act to be Darkside.

Well yeah. I didn't do darkside things when it wasn't in character to do them...roleplaying is about playing a characater, right? Not about just amassing points...

The game, through Kreia, actually tutors the palyer through this very well...you can be a Sith Master but not indulge in pointless evil.

Drac

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

It's good to see quasi-familiar names, but well remembered personas come back. Of course, I was mostly lurking back then...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The forum posts have grown strange and jagged in their countenance since I left. Or perhaps I'm just behind the times.

Ah well, I'll just console myself by rebuilding this robot...

Drac

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Since i pretty much ignored the whole RPG-genre until KotOR, i have no idea on who you are or your reputation among Black Isle/Bioware-peeps.

But i'm glad that you liked Sith Lords.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Since i pretty much ignored the whole RPG-genre until KotOR, i have no idea on who you are or your reputation among Black Isle/Bioware-peeps.

But i'm glad that you liked Sith Lords.

For a 'quasi-n00b' to be acceped by Meshugger is a rare feat indeed. The Force must be strong with you, Drac. ^_^

manthing2.jpg

"Some shameless self-aggrandizement:"

some folks never change.

*shrug*

stinky-lizard always did make himself an easy mark.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I am the bullet in the gun. I am the needle in the vein. I am the hand that holds you down. I control you.

Or, more accurately, I'm Dracomicron. You must have missed my self-aggrandizement earlier. The ages roll on, but ever is there Dracomicron, or one of his incarnations.

Or maybe not.

Drac

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Well, I killed Gromnir several times in the game and you only a few. I wonder what that means.

I mean, you have a name for yourself, but did anyone create a saved game right before fighting you so they could explore different ways to smite you?

Oh well, it really is cool to see some of you old veterans here. Now we just need Sarge to come in to start harrassing you. It will be like having sunday brunch at the old folks' home.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, I killed Gromnir several times in the game and you only a few.  I wonder what that means.

I mean, you have a name for yourself, but did anyone create a saved game right before fighting you so they could explore different ways to smite you?

Oh well, it really is cool to see some of you old veterans here.  Now we just need Sarge to come in to start harrassing you.  It will be like having sunday brunch at the old folks' home.

Good fun.

And I resent being called "old." "Wizened," perhaps. "Hoary," definitely. Almost certainly "grizzled." But not old.

Drac

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

I am the bullet in the gun.  I am the needle in the vein.  I am the hand that holds you down.  I control you.

Or, more accurately, I'm Dracomicron.  You must have missed my self-aggrandizement earlier.  The ages roll on, but ever is there Dracomicron, or one of his incarnations.

Or maybe not.

Drac

And a shameless Trent Reznor fan, to boot.

Mostly a lurker back when you were active on the BIS boards, though I do believe that we butted heads on a couple of issues and agreed on a couple of others.

Welcome back.

lol hav no idea hu you are dude, but since there is a thread that seems to be soley about you that the mods hav allowed to exist you must be regarded highly by some people. (hades didnt no you which surprises me, i thought he was the ultimate rpg veteran, maybe im wrong...)