Return of Draconis

Dracomicron

BTW I did not want troika to get the license. I have played 2 of their games, arcanum and toee. Both games were crap. Arcanum had primitive graphics and a horrible combat and character development system. TOEE was a complete disaster, it had terrible combat, music, graphics and was bad in almost every respect. Troika is a proven failure.

Amen

It's not guaranteed that a Bethseda made Fallout will be bad. I have many concerns, but we haven't seen much yet.

On the topid of KOTOR:2's dark side path, I think people are being silly.

We asked that the path be more than simple thuggery, and the team delivered. From what I've seen of Princess Sarah playing the Dark Side path, it's much more complex. Thuggery still exists, but it doesn't work nearly as well.

Sometimes you need to lie, and be subtle. You need to pretend to be upstanding to get influence points. And then you convince them to do evil deeds.

It's a MUCH, MUCH better Dark Side path.

Troika has proven only that they can talk the talk, but every time they try to walk the walk they fall on their face as far as I'm concerned. So I certainly would not want to see Fallout 3 land in their incompetent laps.

Bethesda, OTOH, has made one game that I found to be exceptionally ambitious and well-done. I can't quite envision Fallout as a first-person, real-time shooter, though. My initial presumption is that Fallout as we all know and love it is dead... may it RIP. I hope Fallout 3 proves me wrong. Time will tell.

BTW, welcome back, Draconis.

"It's not guaranteed that a Bethseda made Fallout will be bad. I have many concerns, but we haven't seen much yet."

Darn close. Bethesda is the worst RPG devloper of all time. None even come close to the drek that Bethesda poos out.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"It's not guaranteed that a Bethseda made Fallout will be bad. I have many concerns, but we haven't seen much yet."

Darn close. Bethesda is the worst RPG devloper of all time. None even come close to the drek that Bethesda poos out.

And this is where the circular argument begins anew. :p

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Guest Surlent

Dracomicron, can't remember you well, since I was more lurker on IWD2 boards.

Did you sometimes have this image as your avatar on ol' BIS boards ?

Human_Male_Wizard_3.gif

Dracomicron, can't remember you well, since I was more lurker on IWD2 boards.

Did you sometimes have this image as your avatar on ol' BIS boards ?

Human_Male_Wizard_3.gif

It's quite possible, yes. Avatars came kinda late in the game for me...I'd been posting for a long time without them. Why do you ask?

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

Bethseda has won RPG of the year for every RPG they've ever released. I think you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that they are the WORST RPG developer of all time, even if you don't like their games.

Arena and Daggerfall were great fun, even if Morrowind was quite flawed.

And while you complain about other RPG houses releasing buggy games and the like, Betheseda is their own publisher. They put serious time and money in their products. They support their products heavily, and they listen to fan suggestions.

So, how does that make them the WORST RPG developer in the universe?

I'm waiting on Fallout 3. I'll see what other folks have to say about it. I'm with Di, this doesn't sound like Fallout to me, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily be bad.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Circular arguments are what these forums are for, aren't they?

Club of Detonation +3!

Bah! You got your club of detonation! Where's my fixed Flametongue!? :p

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't think they are the worse RPG developer out there. That title goes to Ubisoft. However, I do think they are totally wrong group of people to get Fallout. Their style of games are completely and totally different from that of the style of Fallout. They make first person fantasy games. I have yet seen Bethesda put out one 3/4 top down view sci fi CRPG.

Ultima was a tile-based overhead RPG (save for the first-person dungeons) from Aklabeth to Ultima V. In Ultima IV they completely changed the "kill the baddie" format and reinvented cRPGs. Ultima V added many tiny improvements. Ultima VI meant another new engine, and moused based dungeon crawling. People went nuts at how RPGs don't use mice.

Next thing you know, people fell in love with the idea. Ultima VII again completely reinvented the system. Ultima VIII removed the party, changed stat progression, removed the familiar world, replaced the magic system with 4 different magic systems in one game. Ultima IX made another boat load of changes and went 3D. If Ultima IX was a finished game, it might be truly great.

Change can be good. Change does not always destroy a series. If Ultima merely made sequels the way the Might and Magic games did, or Wizardy games did, where would we be?

We know nothing about Fallout. We suspect it may be real time. We suspect is may be first person. We don't know that yet.

you have to engage in physical activity like exercising or piling heavy objects on top of eachother to fix insomnia. its true.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "