The All Things Political Topic

Biden seems to be resolved to run for election regardless of all calls to step aside. Senile obstinancy (Ruth Bader Ginsburg and now Biden refusing to step aside) and a terrible decision by Obama (indirectly letting the Republicans nominate one more SCOTUS justice) are coalescing into a perfect storm that might just end with Trump becoming Cyrus the Great in more than the fanatsy of evangelical lunatics, and half of the US is cheering it on.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Biden seems to be resolved to run for election regardless of all calls to step aside. Senile obstinancy (Ruth Bader Ginsburg and now Biden refusing to step aside) and a terrible decision by Obama (indirectly letting the Republicans nominate one more SCOTUS justice) are coalescing into a perfect storm that might just end with Trump becoming Cyrus the Great in more than the fanatsy of evangelical lunatics, and half of the US is cheering it on.

I keep going back to how much dems are screaming that this election will decide the fate of democracy to try and convince people to vote but are not operating strategically like it is. At the very least you'd expect them to put forward someone more liked than Joe, which strangely enough Kamala is, let alone flex some of that new presidential immunity granted by the supreme council of elders....but they're just barreling forward with a strategy that looks likely to fail.....because going against Biden now could hurt their future political career. Guess the ivy league can't teach sense.

Also like you said, the seeds of this were planted under Obama. If his administration had stuck to their guns to force replacement for Scalia instead of giving up and if they had convinced RBG to step down then we wouldn't be dealing with this right now. The sad fact is that Republicans are simply better at navigating the contours of US politics (even if they are also bad at actually running things) and operate to achieve total victory while Democrats are still treating politics like a gentleman's game where everyone operates in good faith. It's ****ing maddening to watch.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

There are no easy or obvious solutions that will bring everyone together. The primaries, as limited as they were, are already over and done with, and there wasn't a serious alternative to Biden during them anyways, who was overwhelmingly and confidently voted for at the time. If there is any hope of not further splintering the various factions that make up the Democratic (which I am sure is on just about every Democratic official's minds as they weigh whether they should speak up for him to drop out), Biden must choose to step aside, not be forced by the nomination process which he convincingly won. If he's obdurate in deciding not to, I don't think there's really a whole lot anyone can do about it. And even if he did choose to step aside, it'd come down to party politics to decide as to whom would replace him, which in of itself is a proposition very fraught with danger and no clear answer to: the Democratic Party doesn't really currently have any popular national figures that are known quantities outside of maybe Bernie Sanders, who would obviously never be the party nominee over Biden for a whole host of reasons I'm not going to get into. I'll remind everyone that Joe Biden won George (16 electoral votes) by 11,779 votes, Arizona (11 electoral votes) by 10,457 votes, and Wisconsin (10 electoral votes) by 20,682 votes, a combined 37 electoral votes won by 42,918 votes which swung the election from a 269-269 tie that would've seen Trump stay president thanks to the U.S.'s silly contingent election (i.e. no electoral vote majority) system. It's fun to look at "he won the popular vote by 7 million votes", but the popular vote has never mattered in the slightest: despite some here saying "Trump is finally finished" and that we no longer would have to worry about this again right after the 2020 election, Biden in reality just ever so barely won the 2020 election (and only thanks to Covid-19 and Trump's largely terribly handling of it), even more threadbare than Trump's already very weak win during the 2016 election. If Joe Biden can't win a majority of Georgia, Arizona, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Michigan, and North Carolina, then the question is who will? Who's going to capture and motivate all the young, Black, Hispanic, Jew, other minority, college-educated, and women voters necessary in order to win this election, especially when we have a major ongoing conflict between Israel and Palestine angering and splitting young and most other minority voters from the rest? I really don't know. It doesn't help that when you pick and shine a presidential spotlight on someone, they can turn into a very different kind of candidate than how they initially appeared, which makes me very wary of any "candidate X polls better than candidate Y against Trump" soundbites.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Trump getting injured is going to help him a lot now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ffs

the-office.gif

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yeah, an almost successful assassination attempt is not going to help Democrats any...or really, the rule of law. Sigh.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, an almost successful assassination attempt is not going to help Democrats... Sigh.

Worst part is, if it was faked as some suggest, it wouldn't even matter since his crowd is already sold on the "fake news" **** that he lit the flames of.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

HAOoc4r.png

Apparently that image is powerful or some such nonsense.  People are easily impressed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Two audience members are reported to have been killed, along with the shooter.

(e): Two audience members may have been premature, just one confirmed so far, other in critical condition.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Very hard to say something that doesn’t come across as utterly tasteless… no matter how tempting

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Surprised he doesn't have merch out yet

43 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Very hard to say something that doesn’t come across as utterly tasteless… no matter how tempting

It's so goddamn hard to hold back.

Think he'll release Trump brand ear protection ?

21 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Think he'll release Trump brand ear protection ?

Golden, ofcourse

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I'll do it: The whirlwind is being reaped.

The surprising thing isn't that a presidential candidate was shot at, it's that it took this long to happen (again). In the US you can get a gun more easily than you can pay your rent or get treatment for mental health, there are more guns here than people, you can get shot doing any number of normal activities, and violence (particularly  gun violence) is atypically high for a so-called "first world country". The anomaly has been gun violence against politicians and officials, which is shockingly rare given all the above.

Guess who thinks this is acceptable? The whole dip**** reactionary political apparatus. They, the courts, the activists, the donors, the politicians made this goddamn situation and as long as it stayed out of their country clubs, bizness meetings, and fundraisers they did not give a **** no matter how many men, women, and children got killed because someone who shouldn't have been able to get a gun was able to. It's finally come home for them, maybe now that happened to their golden calf they'll give two ****s. More likely they come up with some deranged conspiracy theory about the deep state or some other such nonsense to explain away their culpability.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

:lol:

The wanna be assassin apparently didn't spend enough time at the shooting range. There, I said it.  😛

More seriously, as much as I don't like Trump - or Biden at this point for that matter - no one would "deserve" that. I'm only surprised, with the state of things for a long while, that no one tried a bit sooner. And I don't think it's faked/set up.

The next 10-20 years of US politics is going to be nuts. I keep wondering about civil war/internal terrorism potentials lately. Depressing.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Im  glad Trump is okay,  its  the last  thing you need  in the US is the potential  presidential candidate to be assassinated by a delusional and  mentally unbalanced  person who cant separate reality from exaggeration and then decides  to  act  on it 

And yes US gun culture and mass shootings culture  is an  aspect  of this but that  doesnt change the severity of this egregious development 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I really hope this doesn't help him. I mean imagne the next rally, arm in a bandage, draped in the American flag.

The pics are absolutely perfect. Look at him surrounded by secret service shaking his hand at the shooter, like he's going 'I'm not done rambling, I will not be silenced'

6cc2b580-419f-11ef-9e1c-3b4a473456a6.jpg

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The predicable and expected conspiracy  theories  are rife  around this assassination attempt  

But  IMO there are 4 main contributing  factors to  this shooting

• current US political  culture is both toxic and divisive. People on both sides have contributed towards  this 
  • there are some  people on both sides who literally think  the other side wants  to destroy the US and Democracy
  • there are extremist and mentally unbalanced  people on both sides who are  prepared  to act  on the point above
  • the US has a culture  of mass  shootings and gun violence sometimes manifests itself in  how people act  out  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Im  glad Trump is okay,  its  the last  thing you need  in the US is the potential  presidential candidate to be assassinated by a delusional and  mentally unbalanced  person who cant aim

There, fixed it for you 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

lol so out of curiosity I checked the list of american presidents killed or wounded and with exception of John F. Kennedy it's all republicans. Maybe they should stop rattling the cage so much. 😄

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."