The All Things Political Topic

On 8/30/2024 at 11:46 PM, BruceVC said:

Yes  great idea,  ban Twitter  because you dont like what some  people  say 

Like these admired and prestigious bastions of  freedom and human rights 

Is it actually free speech when a significant number of said posts come from bots? Once nobody can spot an actual human opinion, you're just polluting the discussion.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

Is it actually free speech when a significant number of said posts come from bots? Once nobody can spot an actual human opinion, you're just polluting the discussion.

Thats one way Twitter is used, I question how much influence Twitter really has on peoples views outside of reaffirming confirmation bias and  some people basically not bothering to do any real research on subjects and using Twiiter as a reference 

But Twitter is often used in third world countries as the  main tool to galvanize support for protest action, it has a very positive purpose in countries where there are serious human rights infringements or issues around political and basic freedom 

Im not talking about Western first world countries like the USA and Canada, your freedoms are enshrined and Twitter will never get banned 

https://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/april-2018-july-2018/hashtag-revolution-gaining-ground

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, ShadySands said:

A dirty NYC cop???

I never would have thought 

Maybe wait for the trial and see if  the " dirty NYC cop " is actually dirty

I really like Adams and I will be very disappointed if he is found  guilty of corruption 

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I know it's satire, but dang it's funny!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/23/tech/elon-musk-brazil-court-compliance/index.html

"In the US Congress, Florida Rep. Maria Elvira Salazar, a Republican, mentioned Musk and de Moraes by name last week when she introduced legislation that would punish foreign officials who violate the First Amendment rights of Americans by denying them entry into the United States. "

I guess Americans should be ok to violate other countries' hate speech laws?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

23 minutes ago, Malcador said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/23/tech/elon-musk-brazil-court-compliance/index.html

"In the US Congress, Florida Rep. Maria Elvira Salazar, a Republican, mentioned Musk and de Moraes by name last week when she introduced legislation that would punish foreign officials who violate the First Amendment rights of Americans by denying them entry into the United States. "

I guess Americans should be ok to violate other countries' hate speech laws?

that sound like victorian age insanity

maybe doesn't allow usa citizen to carry gun into other nation when ever they want would be considered violation of second amendment next