The All Things Political Topic - A conservative is someone who makes no changes and consults his grandmother when in doubt

Keyrock

15 hours ago, Gromnir said:

gonna post here 'cause is less football... but not politics either. whatever. if mods move the post, am not gonna complain.

HA! Good Fun!

I feel like her response, which was amazing, was wasted on that show. 😆. I mean, she gives this great answer and they are like, so how about 'dem Bears?

Edited by Hurlshort

Latest global polling by PEW puts the US as seen in a more positive and trusted light than China on almost every metric

"A median of 59 percent of the public in 24 countries has a positive opinion of the US, compared with 28 percent who say the same of China, according to the survey released on Monday. "

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023...ely-than-china-across-24-countries-poll-shows 

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2023/11/06/comparing-views-of-the-us-and-china-in-24-countries/

This rabid " anti-US " sentiment is more common on certain forums and SM  or pro-Palestinian protests but its not what most of the world thinks and particularly not when you compare China to the US

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

lol. There's a reason Pew isn't regarded all that highly any more.

24 selected countries; includes the US, doesn't include China. Includes 12/31 NATO countries- ie half the countries selected- but does include noted independent voices... uh, Australia, RoK, Japan and Israel as well. Not a single arab country, one muslim country (Indonesia), three quarters of the countries surveyed are literally literally in alliances with the US. Unsurprisingly, 15/16 most favourable countries to the US are... its allies. Not exactly a statistically independent selection, rather the opposite

In some ways it's embarrassing they only managed 59% approval given the blatant stacking taking place.

32 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

lol. There's a reason Pew isn't regarded all that highly any more.

24 selected countries; includes the US, doesn't include China. Includes 12/31 NATO countries- ie half the countries selected- but does include noted independent voices... uh, Australia, RoK, Japan and Israel as well. Not a single arab country, one muslim country (Indonesia), three quarters of the countries surveyed are literally literally in alliances with the US. Unsurprisingly, 15/16 most favourable countries to the US are... its allies. Not exactly a statistically independent selection, rather the opposite

In some ways it's embarrassing they only managed 59% approval given the blatant stacking taking place.

Meh, its seems like you just dont like the outcome of  the  poll?

India,  Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, Indonesia, Nigeria and Kenya could all be considered non-US aligned countries and the  data still  puts the US as more trusted than China 

And 59% is not great but  that's  much better than the 28%  that China received. Im  also not surprised with this outcome,  if you  just consider Corona and how the Chinese tried to deny the virtus came from China its another reason most people trust China less 

Lets  throw the  question out on this forum,   who do you trust more. China or the US? On this forum  most people probably dont trust either  much :grin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

million protest against nazi in germany

there might be a tiny sliver of hope for europe yet

If not Russia will save the world  by   invading and denazifying  the EU....we always have  that 

• Like 1

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

how positively volesque. 

would be perverse to pretend to know your specific concerns based on such a generalization. regardless, a bit more context would help unless the point were to shout into the void and then wait for echoes.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am suspecting trump tries to draw out the appeal process as long as is possible, so am predicting he is gonna request en banc review by the dc appellate circuit before trying to get SCOTUS cert. deadline to request appeal is this coming monday. 

there is no unique and novel legal issues for the Court to resolve( edit: for those unaware, this is hardly the first time a President has attempted to claim immunity to avoid dealing with actual or potential litigation/prosecution. not ancient history neither as both nixon and clinton tried the immunity angle and were excoriated by the Court for their temerity. the only thing new 'bout the trump situation is he went further than clinton or nixon in his demand for unqualified blanket immunity,) so if SCOTUS decides to hear trump's presidential immunity argument, then we would be a smidge concerned. am also honest not sure what is the timeline for en banc appellate review with dc-- can be quick or slow depending on any number o variables and am certain trump is hoping for slow.

additional edit: the request for en banc review and SCOTUS cert happens simultaneous and not sequential, but as a matter o' practicality, SCOTUS can grant an indefinite stay and while we do not expect such a result given the implications for election uncertainty, am admitting to having having been wrong 'bout this Court more than once. 

a spring trial remains possible. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Man, this whole thing really makes me miss Nixon. :p 

likely not for the same reasons as Gromnir, but am in agreement. 'tween normalization o' relations with china, passage o' epa/clean air and water legislation, the first real Presidential advocacy o' universal health care as well as the being the guy who got the fed involved in finding treatments and cures for cancer, not to mention numerous other nixon achievements, is fair to say we got mixed feelings 'bout nixon. is impossible to overlook vietnam dishonesty as well as watergate, and his Presidential campaigns were embracing vile racist elements, but he also increased the bia budget by more than 200% and did more to support tribal sovereignty legislation than any other President... maybe john quincy adams were an exception, but adams were a one-term President in large part 'cause his position on indian relations were so unpopular.

nixon did not deserve to be President and his party rightful kicked him to the curb, but nixon were an effective chief executive with a whole lotta positive accomplishments studding his resumĂŠ. am not conflicted 'bout nixon, but more than just a little positive were the result o' the nixon admin. our mixed feelings is heavily weighted negative, but that don't mean we need ignore the accomplishments.

trump don't have nixon's positive qualities.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

Man, this whole thing really makes me miss Nixon. :p 

Or GWB.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ps we read the judgement from the trump immunity case and the possible timeline for appeals is looking more narrow than we expected. trump has until next monday to file for cert with SCOTUS... at which point the Court could sit on the appeal indefinitely but likely result is Court responds w/i a week.

en banc appeal efforts by trump will not prevent issuing o' mandate... no delay o' criminal proceedings.

therefore, deadline for trump to file appeal is next monday and we would be legit shocked if SCOTUS did not respond within a week... two at outset. 

IF SCOTUS takes up a trump appeal, am not seeing how they could delay given the time sensitivity involved, but again, this Court baffles us.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Judge wants answers after report that key witness in Trump fraud trial may plead guilty to perjury

“As the presiding magistrate, the trier of fact, and the judge of credibility, I of course want to know whether Mr. Weisselberg is now changing his tune, and whether he is admitting he lied under oath in my courtroom at this trial,” Engoron wrote in the email.

Engoron’s email went to lawyers for Trump, Weisselberg, the Trump Organization and other defendants, as well as counsel for the New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office, which brought the civil fraud case.

seeming unrelated, the weisselberg perjury has repercussions beyond the fraud trial. am on record as not being optimistic 'bout the ny hush money case. novel application o' the law? you not need to be a lawyer to recognize precedent is important when law is at issue. however, novelty is hardly the only problem for alvin bragg as he pursues a criminal conviction o' trump. the feds, who would be a more appropriate prosecutor given the facts and the s'posed crime, chose not to bring a case in part 'cause michael cohen would be an important witness and nobody thinks cohen makes for a good witness. cohen has not become a better witness since the feds did their pontius pilate impersonation and washed their hands. so...

the thing is, y'know who would be a good witness against trump for bragg? weisselberg.

am not holding our breath that this is the time somebody close to trump flips, but weisselberg functional did 100 days in jail for trump already. is he willing to do years of time for trump? am not knowing what is the typical sentence for perjury in ny, but keep in mind this would be weisselberg's second criminal conviction in a relative small window o' time.

is doubtful things go as smooth for allen.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

am knowing there is a couple folks hereabouts who get their news from rush legacy talk radio, fox or other similar sources. for those who is nevertheless curious about the current US border bill kerfuffle, linda chavez offers an analysis.

tangential related, in a shocking moment, chip roy o' all people admitted that trump and fellow republicans were misleading about biden's ability to close the border unilaterally. for those unaware, Congressman roy is from texas and he is ideological and temperament lockstep with jim jordan.

HA! Good Fun!

The  failure of  Congress to agree on the latest  border  deal is ...a joke and just highlights culture  wars  disfunction and people playing politics  instead of whats best for the US

Biden and the Dems failed  to do anything meaningful  over the last 4 years and even repealed prudent    Trump  policies like "   remain  in Mexico " 

But the last  3 months committed  people from both sides have been working on a deal  that  addressed many points  of what the GOP wanted or asked  for

Trump  then jumps on his theater soapbox and basically destroys the deal because sycophant MAGA Republicans do everything he rants about because of the base and they dont want to lose support 

So the best deal to come out of Congress  in decades is  torpedoed and both sides will blame each other but both sides share responsibility for the disaster the border has become 

The border crisis will continue because for many people  in Congress they not really concerned with fixing problems in the US but rather what the optics look like for the 2024  elections 

John Milton 

I don't understand

If MAGA GQP fascists hate how Amerika is becoming more woke and liberal, why don't they just leave? They can move to Russia, Hungary or Belarus

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

25 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

I don't understand

If MAGA GQP fascists hate how Amerika is becoming more woke and liberal, why don't they just leave? They can move to Russia, Hungary or Belarus

remember story about passport bro go to hungary and couldn't find tradwife they wanted

central and east europe turn out not to be the white conservative utopia of their dream

2 hours ago, HoonDing said:

I don't understand

Actually  I have raised that question on  Codex many times  but its  more  directed towards Vatniks and anti-Western people who all live and benefit from the lifestyle that Western countries provide   and I ask them " if you love Putins policies so  much and Western countries have become  degenerate why don't you immigrate to Russia. If  you think Western countries  have the same  lack of freedom as Russia then whats stopping you? Get your migration going ?" 

And of course no one wants  to emigrate  to Russia, they  just Internet ideologues. And yet anyone can emigrate to Russia  if they want, Putin has said  he wants  like minded  people  to emigrate to Russia and Russia has offered  to absorb white Afrikaans farmers  from South Africa 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/why-russia-is-wooing-south-africas-white-farmers/2018/09/23/3308a7c4-b6a3-11e8-ae4f-2c1439c96d79_story.html

But some Americans have immigrated to Russia to  escape the "  tyranny of  LGBT rights ", this guys looks like a fantastic neighbour :grin:

John Milton 

Nikki Haley lost to NOBODY in Nevada by a margin greater than 2 to 1. 

1ROv0hj.png

200w.gif

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Some of these judges are pricks when questioning.  Alito particularly

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra