Food Thread - Those that eat

Keyrock

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

These traditions are fun. There is one in Finland where you put an almond into the traditional Christmas rice porridge (https://scandicuisine.com/finnish-rice-porridge/) when it's ready to be served. The person who gets the almond is supposed to either get married the next year or just have good luck in general.

They have a slightly more humane tradition in Denmark... the finder of the almond usually wins a small prize, like a box of chocolates 😋

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Most Tartar sauce is just mayonnaise. It's so rare I find the genuine stuff.

Yeah it's really disappointing when you get "tartar sauce" that's 98% mayo. The good news is that it's laughably easy to make, so I make my own and I go hard on the pickles.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

11 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Hot take: The best french fry dipping condiment is tartar sauce.

giphy-1.gif?ssl=1

The best FREEDOM fry dipping condiment is spicy ketchup (for something quick, mix ketchup with some hot sauce like sriracha). Believe me.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Most Tartar sauce is just mayonnaise. It's so rare I find the genuine stuff.

Why do you think that is? My first guess would be location, the second being, obviously, local preferences.

Like, it's quite easy to find good squid and calamari in southern Spain, for example. Not so easy in Scandinavia.

17 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

The best FREEDOM fry dipping condiment is spicy ketchup (for something quick, mix ketchup with some hot sauce like sriracha). Believe me.

Harissa and ketchup is a good combo

Mambo sauce is pretty good but it's basically ketchup, hot sauce, and soy sauce. 

Not a fan but have a few shake dippers in my family

I like cheese sauce myself but I grew up with cheese fries being a treat at the school cafeteria. Add some pickled jalapenos and you've got nachos with fried potatsi instead of tortilla chips. Carne Asada fries are also not to be missed.

25 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Like, it's quite easy to find good squid and calamari in southern Spain, for example. Not so easy in Scandinavia.

So true, I almost always have issues cooking for friends and family when traveling abroad. I still have nightmares about the search for actual anchovies in Estonia.

• Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I like cheese sauce myself but I grew up with cheese fries being a treat at the school cafeteria. Add some pickled jalapenos and you've got nachos with fried potatsi instead of tortilla chips. Carne Asada fries are also not to be missed

I didn't say cheese sauce or chilli because imo those are more things to put on top of fries than dip them in, but if we're going beyond dipping I'd rate putting chilli and queso on fries as top tier fries. Carne asada fries are also in that tier.

I'll have to try the harissa and ketchup next time I have fries.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ketchup and scotch bonnet sauce is a good condiment for fries, or well anything.  Even eggs

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Posted (edited)

Ketchup only belongs on meatloaf, it's disgusting on anything else, fries included... Well, it's okay on hot dogs, but there's a handful of better options.

In an unrelated story, I should learn how to make pemmican. Not the tasty pemmican, mind you, but the you can leave it out on the counter for 5 years and it's still perfectly edible (albeit not particularly appetizing) pemmican. I already know how to make hardtack, it would be a good idea to learn one of the other ultimate survival foods.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I didn't say cheese sauce or chilli because imo those are more things to put on top of fries than dip them in, but if we're going beyond dipping I'd rate putting chilli and queso on fries as top tier fries. Carne asada fries are also in that tier.

Yeah, I can see that. I do occasionally buy nacho cheese cups to dip my fries into but most of the time it's slathered on top.

28 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Ketchup only belongs on meatloaf, it's disgusting on anything else, fries included...

Heresy detected

Sorry been playing too much Rogue Trader. My wife isn't a big fan of ketchup either but she does eat it in the strangest and ghetto-est of places. Not on steaks or we wouldn't be together but still.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Not on steaks or we wouldn't be together but still.

If we're talking steak it's chimichurri or GTFO. If you so much as put a ketchup bottle on the table while steaks are getting eaten we're getting into a fist fight.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Ketchup only belongs on meatloaf, it's disgusting on anything else, fries included... Well, it's okay on hot dogs, but there's a handful of better options.

Reported for poor taste.

21 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Not on steaks or we wouldn't be together but still.

13 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

If you so much as put a ketchup bottle on the table while steaks are getting eaten we're getting into a fist fight.

Aside from allegedly one very (in)famous case I can not think of anyone who puts ketchup on a steak. Who the hell actually does that?

I typically like my steaks just seasoned or basted with butter, but sometimes a pan sauce can be pretty dope.

10 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Aside from allegedly one very (in)famous case I can not think of anyone who puts ketchup on a steak. Who the hell actually does that?

I have never heard of anyone doing it. BUT, what I have heard of is that whatever you can think of, you can rest assured the somewhere in the US there is both a group that regards it as the greatest crime ever committed, and a group that regards it as an integral part of their religious rites.

(I have never heard of this infamous case of yours, either, but would like to know what you're referring to.)

11 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I have never heard of this infamous case of yours, either, but would like to know what you're referring to.

Donald Trump eats his steaks well done and slathered in ketchup.

46 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I can not think of anyone who puts ketchup on a steak. Who the hell actually does that?

Inhuman monsters. Anyone that does that is almost certainly on a list, there's a high probability that there are bodies under the floorboards and/or someone chained up in the basement.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

gonna trigger @majestic with the ketchup redux. kinda groundhog day material. 

in the US, almost all ketchup is a variation o' heinz tomato ketchup. when folks not in the US talk about ketchup, they may be referencing something which is a fair bit different than what an american would expect. regardless, we personal embrace the chicagoan/dirty harry dogma regarding ketchup and hot dogs-- is no less verboten than ketchup on steak. 

as for dipping... 

cheese is always win. @Gorth has his remoulade, and if am doing cajun/creole am likely gonna think remoulade is appropriate. real mayonnaise, which is different than any shelf stable brand available in the US, is kinda tasty and quite customizable. we do like carolina gold, but am almost never making it... which is kinda weird. am not a fan o' over sweet, but for asian dishes we like peanut sauces and a honey sriracha which is maybe less sweet and a bit heavier on the ginger than is traditional. is all knida gravy variations-- poutine got a mention in this thread not long past. is a whole lotta pan sauces which is technical gravy. maybe a cheap response, but best is gonna depend on what am dipping. fries? ketchup, cheese, gravy-- 's all good. ask us on a tuesday as 'posed to a friday and maybe you get a different answer as to what we most want with our fries.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Trump eats well-done steaks with ketchup

I've seen it but I grew up super poor and rural. Almost all of my family still orders steaks well done, which is why I'll never make them steaks or take them to a steakhouse. I still remember the first time I was brave enough to order a medium steak at a family dinner outing, they all looked at me like I just committed some unspeakable crime but I was the only one that didn't require a sauce to put some moisture back in. Never looked back and now I usually get my steaks medium-rare to medium. My personal preference is closer to KPs, most I'll usually do is a pan sauce. 

I asked my family why they do this to their steaks and it mostly stems from a fear of getting food poisoning by being given some bad meat. This might make sense for the older generations that lived through segregation while eating out but makes no sense for family cookouts because as I said we're very rural. Our meat is/was typically super freshly butchered. Habit maybe, I dunno. I don't understand it because it's not like they really enjoy a dry steak.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I usually get mine well done. Was fun to provoke a fight with coworkers who used to be outraged over choosing that option.

Usually put BBQ sauce on mine, but I just really like Sweet Baby Ray's

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

but sometimes a pan sauce can be pretty dope.

I'll pan fry my steak in butter garlic and thyme then spoon a bunch of the sauce from the pan on top of the steak sometimes (typically when I'm too lazy to make a chimichurri). That kind of feels like cheating, though; you drown something in butter of course it's going to be delicious.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

our personal feels is good steak don't need to be dressed up with anything other than salt and mayhap a bit o' pepper, but the problem with seasoning with pepper before cooking is that scorched/burned pepper can be slight funky. am s'posing am not averse to a smallish quantity o' herb butter on a steak and we always got a few variations on hand in the freezer. for steak sandwiches am making a sauce from the pan drippings-- add a fair amount o' butter, worcestershire sauce and perhaps pepper to the pan we cooked the steak. 

we would never personal add ketchup to a decent steak, but our guests may do no wrong at our table, so if they wanna over salt or add ketchup am ok with it. however, if Gromnir cooks, than am less likely to indulge requests which we see as sacrilegious. put ketchup on your steak or burger? sure, go ahead, but please don't ask us to cook 'em well-done. yeah, chances are we will go ahead and burn away all the flavour from their meat if they so request it, but we will grumble 'bout it. we spend all the effort to hand grind short rib and chuck to get perfect hamburger, or purchase prime grade ribeyes and then we get a well-done request which makes quality o' the meat and the skill of preparation irrelevant? is unfair to ask us to do well-done... but is tough to say no to guests.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

30 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

gonna trigger @majestic with the ketchup redux. kinda groundhog day material. 

in the US, almost all ketchup is a variation o' heinz tomato ketchup. when folks not in the US talk about ketchup, they may be referencing something which is a fair bit different than what an american would expect. regardless, we personal embrace the chicagoan/dirty harry dogma regarding ketchup and hot dogs-- is no less verboten than ketchup on steak. 

as for dipping... 

Oh, right, for a moment I thought that was because I posted a picture of a t-bone steak with sauce tartare and ketchup a while back, but you're talking about that little incident in the reading thread where Hurlshot and xzar_monty had the same conversation ten posts apart. :p

I am not dogmatically opposed to ketchup either (and I certainly ate the ketchup that my steak came with :shrugz:), just as long as we draw the line at slathering pizza and pasta with it. As far as food heresy goes, I like eating fries with lingonberry jam. I also don't hate pizza with pineapple and ham, but I do not particularily like it either, but that is me not liking ham on pizza, not being opposed to pinapple. Speaking of pineapple, injecting pineapple juice into meat is one of the easiest ways to tenderize it. It works wonders for duck and goose.

Heinz - and I do not know if what we can buy as Heinz ketchup is anything close to the ketchup sold in the US - is easily my least favorite of the store bought ketchups. Now would be the time for @Azdeus to come in here and tell us that he does not like Felix, which is my personal preference, and then we would be done with the third time talking about ketchup in the food threads that I can recall. Ideally that does not come to pass, lest he shows up and posts images of his food again.

I mean, that is basically the only thing the we ever agreed upon that was vile. :x

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

37 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I usually get mine well done. Was fun to provoke a fight with coworkers who used to be outraged over choosing that option.

If you genuinely enjoy it then go for it. 

Like I said, my family doesn't even really enjoy it but they still do it and that's what bothers me the most about it.

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

Oh, right, for a moment I thought that was because I posted a picture of a t-bone steak with sauce tartare and ketchup a while back, but you're talking about that little incident in the reading thread where Hurlshot and xzar_monty had the same conversation ten posts apart. :p

actually, is multiple becauses. yeah, we mentioned the sauce in your pictured steak appeared to be ketchup, but perhaps a year latter when we shared an atk video, you brought up the ketchup on steak guy all by your lonesome. have personal shared the dirty harry clip regarding ketchup on hot dogs a couple times. the curious fascination o' scandanavains with ketchup has occurred multiple times on this board, usual with @Azdeustaking a few well earned shots regarding what foods is so not improved by ketchup and resulting in numerous tangential ketchup observations-- we did share our personal and labor-intensive ketchup recipe.

collectively we can be a bit predictable at times.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I'll pan fry my steak in butter garlic and thyme then spoon a bunch of the sauce from the pan on top of the steak sometimes (typically when I'm too lazy to make a chimichurri). That kind of feels like cheating, though; you drown something in butter of course it's going to be delicious.

I'm thinking of something like a bordelaise with pan sauce. It tastes very good and is a way to reincorporate the fond back into your steak. But red wine reductions with butter are luxurious regardless.

11 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

collectively we can be a bit predictable at times.

We'll end up at a lonesome house at a road in the middle of nowhere yet. :yes:

deathwish_429.jpg?quality=89&ssl=1

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Made some casserole type thing to consume leftover macaroni, cheddar and I got ground beef on sale so might as well use that.  Turned out ok, family liked it. Which is good as they're eating that for the next 5 days.  Lacking vegetables though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2