Food Thread - Those that eat

Keyrock

13 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

The zozzona looks very good, it's like a hybrid of carbonora and all'amatricana right?

I'd say that's a good description. It certainly shares many similarities given the use of raw egg yolks, romano cheese, and guanciale/pancetta/bacon. The zozzona has the added ingredients of onion and Italian sausage (I went with a hot Italian sausage which, combined with some red pepper flakes, gave the dish the perfect amount of spice), but there's nothing stopping you from adding onion and sausage to a carbonara.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

we don't follow ina garten... at all. however, at a cooking site we saw a link to an article where ina recommends store bought alternatives she always uses instead o' making from scratch. we saw pepperidge farm stuffing mix were included and figured we would give it a try.

we were all set to find something to quibble 'bout regarding the dressing, but our post cooking concerns were extreme minor. the pepperidge farm stuffing mix is a bit salty but not excessive so-- am suggesting to avoid salted butter when preparing and make certain your chicken stock is low sodium... unless you like salty. proviso: we did not follow directions exact. after sautéing vegetables (we went a bit heavy on the celery and onion and next time would likely add mushrooms... maybe?) we added chicken stock and one egg yolk to the four cups o' stuffing mix and then cooked on the stovetop in a large skillet so we could better produce carbonized bits in the dressing. again, we tried to find complaints but is all minor. the bread cubes was small and we prefer a bit larger torn bread pieces. perhaps the dressing woulda' benefited from a smidge more thyme and sage? 

ordinarily our chicken/turkey dressing is a bit complex, but the pepperidge farm mix is easy and good. am doubting many posters make dressing frequent, but the ina suggestion is a time saver and results in a nice dressing which may easily be customized to suit individual tastes.

aside, our new normal for making boneless and skinless chicken breasts is to buy those split and bone-in chicken breasts and then debone 'em our self.  the resulting boneless-but-skin-on breast am finding is our ideal cooking option when am forced to prepare breasts. saw the method at atk.

bonus: the leftover bones is great for making chicken stock.

we pound the breasts flatish and then cook two-to-three salted/seasoned breasts skin side down in a large skillet. is becoming increasing difficult to find younger bird breasts here in california, so as often as not, even with a twelve inch skillet, am only able to fit two flattened breasts in the pan. once the chicken breasts are in a medium-high heat pan, we place a 5.5 qt. cast iron dutch oven on top o' the breasts, resulting in constant pressure and uniform pan contact. in our sooper-slick cast iron pan we need zero cooking oil as the skin renders enough fats to prevent any kinda sticking. with a stainless steel pan we require minimal oil.  depending on thickness, we cook ~7.5 minutes before removing the dutch oven and flipping the chicken to cook reduced to medium for another seven-to-eight minutes. depending on the heat distribution o' your pan or hob, you may need rotate the chicken once-per-side so as to get even doneness.

the skin helps keep the chicken moist and the pan leavings is perfect for gravy or any kinda chickeny pan sauce. if your dinner guest don't like skin, remove the offending organic matter after cooking, but pretty much all the fat from the skin is gonna have rendered out while cooking.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I grilled some chicken thighs over the weekend. Marinated them in a mix of mayo and hot sauce overnight then slathered them with a homemade Carolina Gold BBQ sauce while they cooked. I made 10 thighs for 5 people but by the time I actually sat down 10 minutes later there were none* left. I'm assuming they were good.

* I told them to go ahead and eat without me because I wasn't that hungry and was still manning the grill

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Carolina Gold BBQ sauce

when we make pulled pork, which is too often, we typical regret not also making carolina gold bbq sauce. am a fan o' the tang from the apple cider vinegar mixed with mustard... although am liking less sweet than it is traditional prepared. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I feel like a traitor. I live in Cackalacky, sweet & tangy vinegar-based BBQ central and yet I tend to go to hot mustard for my BBQ sauce needs.

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've done well to cut refined sugar out of my diet, I did that a couple of years ago and have kept up with it quite well. The next step is to cut processed foods out (or at the very least down a lot). This is going to be quite challenging here is Murica, the Mecca of Processed Foods. I believe more than half of the average Murican's diet is highly processed foods. Step 1: Meat. I gotta stop buying the crap at the supermarket and find me a good butcher to get meat from animals that haven't been pumped full of all sorts of crap. Alternatively, I may do some research and try one of those delivery services that ships free range, grass fed, no antibiotics, yada, yada, yada meats to your door. I'm sure it will be significantly more expensive, but that's (one of) the appeal(s) of highly processed foods, they're cheap. Also, I need to go on some hunts and get good at that. Owning guns and being proficient with them is a good start, but there's a lot more to hunting than that. Any time I've gotten meat from someone who was recently on a hunt it's been some of the best meat I've eaten, not even comparable to the stuff you get at the supermarket.

I don't do pasta often so making my own pasta from scratch won't be a big deal given how infrequently I'd need to do that. Bread is easy enough to make from scratch, I'll likely mostly make naan since it's quick and easy to make and super delicious. I'll try to find a good farm for eggs, cheese, and milk, it's been way too long since I've had raw milk, I need to rectify that.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I made tacos and yucca chips 

I also try to get the most minimally processed foods but I'm my own worst enemy because I like crap. I cut back on meat a lot and try to avoid anything factory farmed and try to get things cruelty free even though I think cruelty makes it taste better... he typed psychotically.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Haha 2

organic doesn't have a fixed definition, so am having difficulty taking it too serious.

processed is also not a big deal for us but that is mostly 'cause o' the way we cook. we make a whole lotta soup and we start with homemade stock and vegetables which were at least fresh at some point, but our concerns 'bout store bought is less process and additives than it is sodium content. (edit: also, as have noted previous, better than bullion chicken and beef options is frequent added to our stews and soups albeit in small amounts. the stuff is fantastic for elevating flavor and is no question even the organic options qualify as processed.) we have a reputable butcher we visit, but again is less 'bout process than it is a matter o' quality as well as humane treatment o' the meat while it were ambulatory. we eat catfish regular (and other fishes often enough,) but the truth is we would prefer it to be farmed as 'posed to river or lake caught. farmed fish means it is less likely to have high levels o' toxins and/or parasites. same goes for game meat you might acquire just about anywhere in the continental US-- assume such game is loaded with toxins and parasites. is worcestershire sauce and tomato paste processed? sure they are and we can't imagine trying to replace 'em in a host o' recipes we make. etc. regardless, given the fact we do so much homemade cooking and the fact quality and fresh ingredients is so readily available in our vicinity, processed just isn't a frequent issue.

'course am thinking people can get curious fixated on the evils o' processed. am not saying processed foods is always harmless, but somehow the idea o' processed is bigger than the reality. are the process phobes gonna give up their hard liquor and beer? pasteurizing milk has valuable health benefits and on the spectrum o' process, is less concerning than is even home crafted beer. bread is by necessity processed but not ultra-processed. even so, while is not difficult to bake bread, real bread has a notorious short shelf life and people rare make in single serving portions. in any event, we rare bake, so...

oh, and cheese. am s'posing we could make our own cottage cheese and end up with minimal processed, but such is so not what we mean by cheese. we need cheese.

the infrequent pizza doesn't scare us. heck, we will travel the ~64 km to auburn to get a #9 and a half order of fries from wiener works. no fear. no guilt. process be damned.

am thinking it is a good idea to minimize ultra-processed foods from a diet, y'know 'cause that is the consensus o' the big brain medical and science folks who am recognizing know far more 'bout such stuff than we do, but am not losing any sleep over our current diet and am likewise not concerned 'bout a whole host o' foods which is somewhere on the spectrum o' processed. also, am lucky wiener works is a +50 minute drive from our location. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

When my wife's favorite milk is out of stock and I have to get one that's not organic I always give her crap like, sorry this milk is made out of rocks. 

My wife grew up a lot like I did though with a lot of stuff coming from someone's home garden and most meat from someone's small farm. Funny how that poor rural experience is crazy expensive now. We had to go to town to get the fancy processed stuff so it was always like a treat. Thankfully sodium isn't much of an issue for me but that's probably just a matter of time as everyone else in my family seems to have an issue with it.

I have a skin condition that does better when I eat less heavily processed stuff. 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Thankfully sodium isn't much of an issue for me but that's probably just a matter of time as everyone else in my family seems to have an issue with it.

am taking a preventative approach to hypertension/heart disease as both our ethnicity and specific family history suggest we got a high probability o' needing deal with some kinda heart problem.

also, we got in the habit o' cooking for folks who have difficulty making their own meals and it is shocking how few services there is for people who can't cook for themselves and simultaneous require low sodium intake.

https://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/

https://sacloaves.org/

these organizations do fantastic work for elders and homeless, but they understandable don't have the resources to do low sodium. 

even so, am simultaneous recognizing that the correct amount o' salt in a dish is to aim for just a hairsbreadth short o' too salty. if am cooking for guests, we do not skimp on salt.

also, having grown up on a small ranch, and being raised in a farming community, am quite aware is nothing 'bout small farms which precludes the use o' all those terrible chemicals and genetic altered seed/beasts. a corporate farm with revenue in the hundreds o' millions or billions actual has a better chance o' successful doing "organic" production as predictable blight, pest or critter disease on a farm or two (or a dozen) may be overcome by the megafarmer. a typical small farm/ranch is one avian flu or drought away from collapse, so they don't risk.  our grandparents, by necessity, were self-made mechanics, chemists (fertilizer and pesticides) and veterinarians. recall covid? there is a reason why you could get ivermectin paste at any local feed store. might not count as processed, but the things people seem to be afraid o' insofar o' process is not avoided on small farms/ranches.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

I envy people who still have access to a good butcher in their vicinity. We used to have an award winning butcher close by, but he closed up shop a while ago. As did our small bakery, which survived by offering excellent products and great service. They had a breakfast subscription service, delivering your choice of freshly baked products (and milk, if you so chose) to your doorstep, somewhere between 4 and 5am.  Sure, it was more expensive than going to the supermarket, but it was also much better and much more convenient. Led to much less wasted food too, as you could select the products you wanted for your daily delivery in just the quantities you'd usually need.

The folks who ran the bakery retired, none of their children wanted to pick up the trade - no surprise there, not much material gain for very hard work - and they found no one else as successor either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I made avocado butter.

7TeR1bA.jpeg

I was always told it was easy, but, for whatever reason, I never tried until today. It's indeed easy, with a food processor it's borderline trivial. Naturally, I had avocado toast.

5ykYRPw.jpeg

I suddenly feel the urge to dye my hair green and begin every conversation by disclosing my pronouns. I keed, I keed, I don't have enough hair on my head to dye.:shifty:

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

13 hours ago, bugarup said:

Those sandwiches look like a good start, just need a bit of salt, pepper, red onion, garlic, oil, chili and lime and then it's perfect! :yes:

Much of that is already in the avocado butter. Beyond the obvious avocado and butter I added lime juice, garlic (2 cloves to 1 avocado so it's quite garlic-y just how I like it), salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, turmeric, and dill weed.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I made another batch of avocado butter but this time I swapped out the butter in favor of ghee. While the version using ghee is still quite tasty, I like the version using plain butter better. Knowledge gained.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On 9/15/2023 at 3:10 AM, majestic said:

I envy people who still have access to a good butcher in their vicinity. We used to have an award winning butcher close by, but he closed up shop a while ago. As did our small bakery, which survived by offering excellent products and great service. They had a breakfast subscription service, delivering your choice of freshly baked products (and milk, if you so chose) to your doorstep, somewhere between 4 and 5am.  Sure, it was more expensive than going to the supermarket, but it was also much better and much more convenient. Led to much less wasted food too, as you could select the products you wanted for your daily delivery in just the quantities you'd usually need.

The folks who ran the bakery retired, none of their children wanted to pick up the trade - no surprise there, not much material gain for very hard work - and they found no one else as successor either.

we got a number o' decent butchers in the vicinity, but we also got corti brothers which is a one stop solution for people interested in food. 

their full service meat counter would make our chosen butcher unnecessary if it were a smidge closer to our home.  

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Grocer-Darrell-Corti-navigates-a-world-of-rare-9182014.php

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/the-wizard-of-all-california-grocer-darrell-corti

https://www.latimes.com/style/la-fo-corti10-2008sep10-story.html

the CB deli offers the best sacramento area sandwiches and am admitted impressed with their selection o' sausage, cheese, meats and specialty items.

downside is their limited in-house baked goods. am suspecting 'cause o' the popularity o' their sandwiches, corti brothers ovens produce little beyond the bread for their sandwiches.

we recent did a pros/cons lists o' moving to eureka/arcata in ca or possible to idaho falls (am kinda exhausted by sacramento summers) and one o' the cons were no more corti brothers.

during the late spring through earlyish fall, we also got this place:

https://www.davisranchproduce.com/

their selection is considerable, but davis has the best corn and tomatoes we have ever had anywhere, and the early season snow peas and asparagus is also beyond reproach. davis ranch has a fantastic variety o' peppers as well. not an exotic choice, but we bought a bunch o' poblanos earlier today.

we get our eggs and bacon from another local farmer.

rare do we need milk in quantity, so that is one item we could get local but do not.

the US is the world's largest ag exporter and the california valley(s) represent a significant % o' US food production. it would be almost criminal if we failed to take advantage o' abundant local sources for produce and meat. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 5:29 PM, Keyrock said:

I may do some research and try one of those delivery services that ships free range, grass fed, no antibiotics, yada, yada, yada meats to your door. 

I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered a box of meat from Moink.

XSTVwcA.jpeg

There was a card on the top warning that there may be dry ice and to not touch it bare handed. There was no dry ice but the inside of the box was cold and everything was frozen solid. It also came with a recipe book, which is a nice surprise.

hN70d5n.jpeg

I chose Moink because they promise the meats are from small farms, ethically raised, grass fed, no antibiotics, yada, yada, yada (the super fun to say name is an added bonus). I found nothing online to dispute those claims. Plus, they offer seafood options, which I didn't take advantage of in this box but I probably will in the future. A lot of the competitors don't offer seafood but some have more exotic beef options.

Anyway, I'm going to pan sear a ribeye tomorrow with garlic butter, I have it defrosting in the fridge. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Pan seared boneless ribeye with garlic butter and garlic mashed potatoes garnished with chives:

99gIkRa.jpeg

lg2xdU0.jpeg

Freakin' amazing! Like holy **** this is good! Granted, you dump butter on almost anything and it will be good, but still.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

made not osso bucco. nowadays we avoid veal, so we made with oxtails... osso coda? also, we didn't use polenta and instead went with a yukon gold mashed potato side for which we used a potato ricer to get extra smooth.  roasted broccolini were the handwave inclusion o' something leafy and green allowing us to pretend the meal were at least somewhat healthy. 

best part o' the meal were the fact our dinner guest were an acquaintance with whom we felt comfortable enough to suck on our oxtail bones.

edit: for lunch we made pasta pomodoro. we used fresh cherry and roma tomatoes from a local farm. am mentioning our lunch 'cause o' how we now ordinary cook pasta such as spaghetti or linguine, which is to use minimal water and to cook in a twelve inch skillet. a twelve inch skillet is the perfect diameter for spaghetti and it takes far less time to cook pasta in the skillet as you are using considerable less water.

chances are when am having brought the pasta to just shy o' al dente, we have only a smidge more pasta water than needed to finish off our sauce.  am using a non-stick pan for our pasta when am making tomato sauces 'cause it is non reactive. 

for today's lunch, when the pasta were near done, we add the sauce, fresh basil and microplaned parmesan to the off-heat skillet. residual heat from the sauce and the pan finished cooking the pasta and the starchy pasta water and cheese thickened up the sauce. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps chances are most folks reading is already aware, but counter-intuitive, a bit of starchy pasta water will thicken a tomato sauce. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Moroccan chicken with a side of taters

GbcSCmD.jpeg

eUWNJTF.jpeg

I was a bit worried about how green olives would fare with apricots and raisins but it works surprisingly well. The robust flavor profile of ras el hanout brings it all together.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

is not as if am unable to afford lamb, but am marveling at how expensive it has become.  when the cost o' lamb first began to skyrocket here in ca, we held out hope the increase were temporary.  we thought positive, and anticipated the price would get more reasonable in a few months... or six months... or maybe next year? 

no?

we like lamb a whole lot, but am always feeling like most lamb cuts is a splurge kinda ingredient perhaps 'cause am so old am recalling when a can o' coke cost twenty-five cents and rack o' lamb were maybe $3 per pound?  that said, our frugality don't prevent us from cooking a nice leg o' lamb or the like at least a couple times per year, but is almost always a special occasion.

however, lamb breast is typical less than half the cost o' even shoulder chops, and particular for stews and the like, the breast is an ideal cut with plenty o' connective tissue. lamb breast is also fantastic smoked or roasted. seeing as how am having become such a cheap bastard in our declining years, and 'cause we do like lamb, we buy lamb breast surprising often.

HA! Good Fun!