Random video game news... the critical eyes have it

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The SSD requirement will also be added to Cyberpunk 2077 with the new expansion. Definitely looks like the new normal and (I presume) is Direct Storage related.

Doesn't Direct Storage require newer NVMe SSD?

14 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

How new are we talking? I have a PCIe Gen 4 Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus. Hopefully that's new enough. It was pretty much top of the line... a couple of years ago. If Direct Storage works on the MSony consoles then it can't require PCIe Gen 5 since Gen5 didn't exist (not physically, anyway) when those were first manufactured.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

21 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Yeah, but it was the only thing I can think of that would mean it would require an SSD since you'd design around the fast streaming of assets. Though I guess min specs doesn't mean it won't run at all, just that it will run at an arbitrary not well enough to be acceptable.

Having checked though it definitely isn't Direct Storage related since even NVMe is only specified for C2077 Ultra settings. So a crusty old SATA SSD should be fine, just not a crusty old platter.

30 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Yeah, but it was the only thing I can think of that would mean it would require an SSD since you'd design around the fast streaming of assets. Though I guess min specs doesn't mean it won't run at all, just that it will run at an arbitrary not well enough to be acceptable.

Having checked though it definitely isn't Direct Storage related since even NVMe is only specified for C2077 Ultra settings. So a crusty old SATA SSD should be fine, just not a crusty old platter.

So Phantom Liberty probably wouldn't run well off one of these?

1538498_orig.jpg

• Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

So Phantom Liberty probably wouldn't run well off one of these?

1538498_orig.jpg

Certainly not off of one of those.

Then they'd get (A)bort (R)etry (F)ail'ed on disc 97,482/ 101,272 after waiting months for the cargo ship to deliver the floppies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some software magic could still work, if you pressed (F). From my dos experience like 0.0001% 😄 With (A) you just stopped everything from trying to continue.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

12 hours ago, Keyrock said:

How new are we talking? I have a PCIe Gen 4 Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus.

I really don't know. I have been researching this thing, when I was building my PC couple years ago, and Direct Storage wasn't implemented yet. I left my NVMe slot empty for future upgrade if needed.

12 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Yeah, but it was the only thing I can think of that would mean it would require an SSD since you'd design around the fast streaming of assets.

Direct Storage or not, SSD is quicker than physical drive. I think you are right that SSD is required for faster streaming of assets, but I don't think it takes advantage of Direct Storage - than again I am hardly well versed in the tech. I wouldn't be surprised if Direct Storage will become mandatory - fast streaming is the thing that makes new console stand out. Once devs start designing core features that will require direct storage to work, PCs might require the same.

I am curious how new Ratchet and Clank will work on PC. When it released it's Rift mechanic was meant to work because of PS5 super quick loading only.

I'm apathetic to the Star Wars IP but this game has potential to be really great. Of course, I thought the same thing about Watch_Dogs Legion and that turned out to be meh. Hopefully this game lives up to its potential.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Katphood said:

Never mind the new Prince of Persia game, this is where it's at:

At first I thought this was going to be Great Value Three Musketeers, but it's clearly Dollar Tree Zorro. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

At first I thought this was going to be Great Value Three Musketeers, but it's clearly Dollar Tree Zorro. 

Ha! I was about to write how I don't understand why there isn't any Three Musketeer or Zorro game already.

Well, not literally "any", but any other than this:

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Ha! I was about to write how I don't understand why there isn't any Three Musketeer or Zorro game already.

Well, not literally "any", but any other than this:

Captured on a system with i9-13900K and RTX 4090. :shifty:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Looks meh, really.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Looks meh, really.

For all it's faults SimCity was a better game. I found myself getting bored with C:Skyline as there is no challenge to it, hopefully they add a game to the city builder simulation with the sequel.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

30 minutes ago, Sarex said:

For all it's faults SimCity was a better game. I found myself getting bored with C:Skyline as there is no challenge to it, hopefully they add a game to the city builder simulation with the sequel.

C:S' challenge was two fold - managing traffic and coping with the bloat from Unity. 

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

C:S' challenge was two fold - managing traffic and coping with the bloat from Unity. 

And getting roads to be parallel...

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP