The All Things Political Topic - new edition

uuuhhii

And now an interview for CNN with the president (of Serbia). Tomorrow I will wake up and read that we are in NATO. This is like the twilight zone.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 5/31/2023 at 3:27 PM, Sarex said:

And now an interview for CNN with the president (of Serbia). Tomorrow I will wake up and read that we are in NATO. This is like the twilight zone.

Kosovo really stepped in it here, it seems

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Kosovo really stepped in it here, it seems

They literally did what they were doing for decades now. This is a shift in the western politics. The question to ask would be why now?

• Like 1

It's not like they could 'lose' Kosovo short of pulling their troops out, which won't happen. It's about as literal a vassal state as it's possible to get in modern polities, wholly dependent on aid, remittances and subsidies from all the NATO troops/ bases. If you started getting the same rhetoric applied to Bosnia it'd mean something more.

I'd say they're trying to get a condemnation of Russia out of Serbia in exchange so they can say that Russia has no allies in Europe; and more of a long shot recognition of Kosovo so people don't continually point it out as an example of western hypocrisy. The former would be exactly the sort of ultimately meaningless feel good spectacle that von der Leyen and Borrel love, the latter would have more substance but probably be political suicide.

17 hours ago, Sarex said:

They literally did what they were doing for decades now. This is a shift in the western politics. The question to ask would be why now?

Kosovo refused to follow treaty they agreed with EU and USA and Serbia has signaled their interest of closer relationship so it is natural progress that happens in relationships between nations. Those that who benefit country's agenda are good guys and those that cause problems are bad guys

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

I'm having trouble making out what game they're playing, but it looks like the workers btfo the troops.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I'm having trouble making out what game they're playing, but it looks like the workers btfo the troops.

Tug of war.

**** be weird man. This is such a jarring shift to watch that I'm getting whiplash.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

annoying orange been sued thousand time for decades

a few new crime hardly matter

more worry about that forest fire

run out of forest to burn seem like only a matter of decades

Edited by uuuhhii

Hey, lawyers have to live too! One way to keep up the employment figures 😁

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

31 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Hey, lawyers have to live too! One way to keep up the employment figures 😁

Sure, but the problem is, Trump doesn't pay them.

• Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

8 hours ago, Lexx said:

Sure, but the problem is, Trump doesn't pay them.

I think they've started to ask for money in advance.  Well, or at least I hope they are.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

I think they've started to ask for money in advance.  Well, or at least I hope they are.

kinda.  our understanding is what they (at least the reputable attorneys on the team) are doing is setting their retainer extreme high and the retainer account must be maintained or else the attorney may recuse for "fundamental differences." 

am gonna wait 'til we read full indictment before commenting 'bout trump's situation vis-a-vis mar-a-lago documents.

however, 'cause am assuming this scene is gonna be invoked more frequent in the coming days...

obvious trump and his cronies were not fans o' the wire, to their detriment.

edit: am gonna observe how following a quick read, the charge(s) we were surprised by were 18 U.S. Code § 1512 - Tampering with a witness, victim, or an informant related. is not shocking trump co would do such (alleged) but is the first time am having heard mention o' witness tampering in the context o' mar-a-lago. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

5 hours ago, Pidesco said:

link is to the doj original appeal o' judge cannon's appointment o' the special master to review materials taken by the fbi as part o' their mar-a-lago search.

if you wanna read the unsealed indictment,

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/read-the-full-trump-indictment-on-mishandling-of-classified-documents

gotta admit we were a smidge confused by the 18 U.S. Code § 1512 charges being included 'cause the section relates to witness tampering. is so rare one need consider the possibility o' a defendant's attorney being a witness in a case against the defendant that it didn't initial register for us when we saw sections listed. counts 32-34 involve trump and nauta efforts to affect "trump attorney 1" representations to the feds, and am gonna assume for the nonce corcoran is attorney 1. 

aside, were pleased to see the following:

couple hours following our previous post.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

oj makes a couple valid observations 'bout the current nfl rb situation, but seeing as this is the politics thread...

should be one o' those too obvious to need be said bits o' pith, but is true that it is in a criminal defendant's best interest to stfu and never speak 'bout the case save when communicating with the defendant's lawyers. whatever your feels 'bout oj, his observations 'bout dalvin cook appear reasonable... and the stfu advice for trump is also money.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, Pidesco said:

Pidesco  what would you say to people who believe this  is a witch-hunt to stop Trump winning in 2024?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

56 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Pidesco  what would you say to people who believe this  is a witch-hunt to stop Trump winning in 2024?

I probably wouldn't engage them. Either they are wilfully dishonest, or they are so far down the rabbit hole that I'd have less of a chance of changing their mind than of changing the mind of a flat earther.

• Thanks 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

I probably wouldn't engage them. Either they are wilfully dishonest, or they are so far down the rabbit hole that I'd have less of a chance of changing their mind than of changing the mind of a flat earther.

had there any case of deprogramed flat earther

have to be some in the past few years

most would likely be too ashamed to make announce it

Edited by uuuhhii

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

I have been following this outrage on Codex from Trump supporters  and the arguments are generally unconvincing. People tend to say things like " this is just another Mueller inquiry targeting  Trump and  its purely  political " 

But we need to separate previous allegations from this, he definitely has charges to answer in this case. And I always wonder if Obama was being charged what the same people would be saying?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

48 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Well put. The term "witch-hunt" itself is enough to disqualify the claim as one worth taking seriously.

But there  are cases and allegations  against Trump that turned out not to be true or were not what people assumed  like the Mueller inquiry which was important but Trump didnt have any direct links to the Ruskies

Thats where witch-hunt comes from and US culture wars just makes some people's views trenchant and automated even before evidence or inquiries are concluded. And thats from the left and right from the extremist\radical  elements on many issues 

John Milton