Ukraine Conflict - "An empire founded by war has to maintain itself by war"

Lexx

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

You could argue they are actually fighting like a 500bc army at times... when generals lead from the front and peasants were expendable.

Ukraine must be truly incompetent to not have won by now then šŸ˜›

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

More rumors that US would seek to freeze the conflict if Ukraine retakes Kherson.
Strategically it makes some sense as it would secure Odessa and I bet they don't expect more Ukrainian gains.

How they hope to stop Russia from launching another invasion is a complete mystery.Ā 

Interesting, lets see how things unfoldĀ 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his lossā€

John MiltonĀ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.ā€ -Ā  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, pmp10 said:

More rumors that US would seek to freeze the conflict if Ukraine retakes Kherson.
Strategically it makes some sense as it would secure Odessa and I bet they don't expect more Ukrainian gains.

How they hope to stop Russia from launching another invasion is a complete mystery.Ā 

Invasions need resources, which Russia seems to lack currently and building said resources under heavy economical sanctions isn't that easy when your industry heavily relies on imports.

But after tomorrow there is high likely hood that US help to Ukraine will decrease lot, as Republicans with candidates that either support Russia or are against helping Ukraine will most likely take control over the senate.Ā 

12 hours ago, Gorth said:

You could argue they are actually fighting like a 500bc army at times... when generals lead from the front and peasants were expendable.

That was my point, the Roman legions had centurios and tribunes drafted from the more experienced rank and file. Showing initiative in battle was encouraged and properly rewarded, like at the Battle of Cynoscephalae where the Macedonians suffered a crushing defeat because the legions in pursuit of routed enemy groups saw an opportunity, split off half a legion and attacked the rear of the Macedonian phalanx without being ordered to do so by their commanding general.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, pmp10 said:

But I don't see anything in that article saying the US is looking to freeze the conflict; only that they want to push for peace talks, AND with Ukraine at those talks in a position of strength. That's a far cry from saying the US wants Ukraine to cede their territory to the Russians.

• Thanks 1

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-zelenskyy-putin-kyiv-government-and-politics-47e31b2e2c16b92955342b673256d8d7

With those conditions, wonder what's there to talk about

8 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Don't think Russia could.Ā  They just can give Ukraine more free weaponry, they've got manpower to train up as is.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

30 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

But I don't see anything in that article saying the US is looking to freeze the conflict; only that they want to push for peace talks, AND with Ukraine at those talks in a position of strength. That's a far cry from saying the US wants Ukraine to cede their territory to the Russians.

Frozen conflict is the only realistic outcome of negotiations at this point.
Putin won't give-up his annexations and Ukrainians aren't even readyĀ to give-up on Crimea.

39 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Precisely.
Same for the Russian side and the non-negotiable territorial integrity of recently annexed regions.
Ukrainian position is simply easier (and safer) to soften.

3 hours ago, pmp10 said:

Frozen conflict is the only realistic outcome of negotiations at this point.
Putin won't give-up his annexations and Ukrainians aren't even readyĀ to give-up on Crimea.

Ukraine cannot and will not ever accept "freezing" Russian territorial gains, because that will automatically become the de facto border in time. The most Ukraine will accept is a return to the pre-war status quo, but even that only with full compensation from Russia the damages of the war.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

The most Ukraine will accept is a return to the pre-war status quo, but even that only with full compensation from Russia the damages of the war.

I'm sure that major military victory is their 'hope-for' scenario but it's very unlikely to happen.
In practice they continue fighting this war to deter Russia from doing this again.Ā 

People saying Kherson withdrawal will be announced soon.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:07 AM, Malcador said:

Ukraine must be truly incompetent to not have won by now then šŸ˜›

Just look at Marines and Zerglings, even the best of the best can be easily outmatched by incompetent if the numbers are high enough šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

Ā 

Ā 

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Few noteworthy news:

Preparation for the war, allegedly began back in 2021.

Russian appointed deputy head of Kherson administration had a smoking accident, while driving. Already confirmed by Saldo.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/11/9/7375620/
Ā 

European Commision proposes 18 billions EUR help to Ukraine. Only Hungary is in opposition according to latest reports from news in local broadcast in Slovakia.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/11/9/7375619/

And according to UA officials, the news about UA being pushed to peace talks by the west, is just a Russian PsyOps, which the western media posted to get the clicks, as it is a very controversial topic.

ā€œThey are not pushing us to enter into negotiations, but are simply saying that ā€˜it is desirable not to refuse the Russians so categoricallyā€™, so that Europeans can live more calmly.ā€

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/11/9/7375588/

Also, the speculations about lowering the funding if Republicans take over, most of the time do not mention, that most of them are in very close ties with Weapon lobbyists, and are warhawks. Therefore it is still possible, that the funding will be still the same, just with more oversight on weapon deliveries. Especially now, after some results are counted, and it looks like the ā€œraceā€ is much closer, than predicted šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

• Thanks 1

Ā 

Ā 

49 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

Just look at Marines and Zerglings, even the best of the best can be easily outmatched by incompetent if the numbers are high enough šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Ukraine has outnumbered the Russians for sometime, if I recallĀ  Guess they are 6 ft tall not 3, heh.

And there's the announcement

Ā 

Edited by Malcador

23 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

European Commision proposes 18 billions EUR help to Ukraine. Only Hungary is in opposition according to latest reports from news in local broadcast in Slovakia.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/11/9/7375619/

That's the EU part of 2023 funding for Ukraine.
Unlike the US funding this one is prone to getting 'bureaucratically stuck', the 9 billions promised in May won't be fully delivered until next year.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Ukraine has outnumbered the Russians for sometime, if I recallĀ  Guess they are 6 ft tall not 3, heh.

And there's the announcement

Ā 

I have read somewhere, that it is believed, that Russia has 174,000 troops right now in Ukraine, and I do not believe UA has as many active soldiers at the front ATM (they have definitely more soldier in total, but many of them are around whole Ukraine to defend the Belarus border and around Chernihiv, Sumy and Kharkiv). And they prefer the enemy to exhaust themselves impaling on their defense in Donetsk Oblast and HIMARS them to oblivion instead of full-scale attacks. Saves much more lives, and looking at the current number of Russian casualties, it works well. Especially, when there are now more and more rumours about power-struggle between Prigozhin, Shoigu and Kadyrov, which leads to a big amount of Russian casualties due to friendly fire šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Little bit explaining why so high friendly fire and so many bodies in this video

Ā 

• Thanks 1

Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his lossā€

John MiltonĀ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.ā€ -Ā  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ā 

Ā 

this is weird man. I jumped on topwar.ru and they are crying there like its end of the war and they lost.

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

6 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

this is weird man. I jumped on topwar.ru and they are crying there like its end of the war and they lost.

Its a serious sign of the failure of Putins War. Its the same on Codex, I have never seen Vatniks so despondent

Hopefully this helps to end the warĀ 

Ā 

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

People overreact. On Reddit you'll see people stating stuff like "This conflict is going to be studied by military historians for generations.". :lol:Ā  Then again, people still saying this is an elaborate trap.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

well its obvious trap. I doubt there will be Ukrainian solder feet in Cherson until its completely avoided of Russians or surrounded. I doubt they are keen on another street fight - its very costly and not really needed

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

12 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

well its obvious trap. I doubt there will be Ukrainian solder feet in Cherson until its completely avoided of Russians or surrounded. I doubt they are keen on another street fight - its very costly and not really needed

I'm reading reports that russians mined everything to hell, so progress is going to be slow because of this reason too. Fingers crossed those scumbags do not destroy the dam as part of their scorched earth doctrine.

...really not waiting for more war crime testimonies, but there is going to be.

Oh, and Gauleiter of Kherson's deputy of sorts, particularly scummy Stremousov, died in a "car accident". There are quite a few theories floating that it was inside job, what methinks is more appropriate "Eat karma, bitch!" than if Ukrainians murked him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bugarup said:

I'm reading reports that russians mined everything to hell, so progress is going to be slow because of this reason too. Fingers crossed those scumbags do not destroy the dam as part of their scorched earth doctrine.

...really not waiting for more war crime testimonies, but there is going to be.

Oh, and Gauleiter of Kherson's deputy of sorts, particularly scummy Stremousov, died in a "car accident". There are quite a few theories floating that it was inside job, what methinks is more appropriate "Eat karma, bitch!" than if Ukrainians murked him.

Yes I heard its a car accident?

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā