Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

What poor young woman has he roped in, I wonder.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

16 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

I get the impression that Keyrock actually is Neil Breen.

I would never presume to be on Mr. Breen's level.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

All we need now is Scooter to provide the soundtrack.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I love Neil Breen movies but I always feel like I'm doing a bad thing by watching them, like supporting a seriously crazy person's delusions.

#EyesOnBreen

• Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I have EARTH-SHATTERING news. I don't want anyone getting hurt, so you may want to sit down before continuing to read.

Visionary film genius Neil Breen has completed his 6th professional feature film.

It may be jumping the gun to call this his latest masterpiece, but come on, when has Breen ever not delivered?

Twisted Pair 2: The Retwist is finally going to happen.

david-lynch-shaking-you.gif

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Everyone who is a fan of cinema should love Mr. Breen's work: they are all professionally made feature length films. Now, if you're someone who is not familiar with what films are, it's helpful to say that they're kind of like books, but thankfully not really at all like books.

That is because Neil Breen is the best at everything.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Mahakaal (1993) - A ripoff of A Nightmare on Elm Street from India where ersatz Freddy Krueger haunts a family and their friends, initially in their dreams.

This movie doesn't know what tone it's going for. At times it's tense and spooky, at times it's dramatic, and then all of a sudden it will wildly shift into goofy, over the top, slapstick comedy. Then there are the obligatory dancing and singing sequences. There aren't as many as I expected in a 2+ hour movie in Hindi, but they're definitely there. The final half hour or so, in particular, is a complete mess of confusing bat**** crazy weirdness.

Despite the wild shifts in tone and nigh incomprehensible plot, the movie never stops being entertaining. It's a mess, but it's a joyous mess; definitely a worthwhile seasonally appropriate spooky movie.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I've rewatched "RRR" three times (well, 90% of it, I skip a few scenes here and there).
I've decided that whoever is the team largely responsible for it (director, writers, cgi-effects house? etc) should now be the ones responsible for any attempt at turning video games or anime into "live action" versions.  ... ok that's hyperbole, but I bet they'd have a high chance of making a good one if they tried.

I've read that India may have largely decided to (mostly) abandon DVD-sale/releases in favor of streaming, which is making it difficult for me to find/watch other, recent-ish films from there, since the streaming services I use don't have many. Shades of the early days of getting into k-dramas/access....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

*snort*

The version with the English subtitles has barely any comments on it, but the regular trailer is full of people complaining about political correctness ruining even films about the army now. Does everyone need to be gay these days? Why this wokeness? Why ruin everything?

Yes, why indeed. Why is a biopic about a career soldier, who has hidden his homosexuality for the longest of timest, about gay soldiers? Indeed, one is left to wonder, even after the two married a while back. Nah, must be to appease the tofu-eating, Guardian-reading, woke Twitterati. :p

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

That arm is uncanny valley x4.

It's a 'fan' trailer, afaik.

In other trailer news...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Since it is on Netflix, it's the same director as RRR ( S. S. Rajamouli ), and often mentioned around the 'net, I watched Bahubali pt 1 (or Baahubli). It's a 2015 film, with part2 being from 2017. (Edit: fantasy/mythology/action)

You can see the director's (or general Tollywood?) same penchant for full framing, action style, and love of slo mo/speed up etc. - as well as a similar "pacing issue", only more extensive. The first 10-15 minutes or so I liked quite a bit, but then it rather dragged for a while. I found I didn't care all that much about the characters. That last third or so was a long "what happened in the past" with a giant battle of armies type scenario.  Anyway, the action and general visual style were still a lot of fun, if obviously a little lower budget but the pacing, for my tastes, was hard to get past. Maybe I would've liked it better if I hadn't seen RRR first. 😄 Or maybe the story/mythology didn't resonate enough for myself, in this one. It wasn't terrible or anything, but I FFWD'd a fair bit in the middle.  I'll watch part2 over the weekend, maybe.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A Trip to the Moon (1902).

pfo7wFB.png

On second thought, let's not go to the Moon, it is a silly place. Actually, as far as 1902 silent shorts go, it was bizarrely entertaining. Also, possibly the greatest film of all time if you're high as a kite while watching it...which I was not, but still.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Apparently the Smashing Pumpkins were big fans. I always wondered where that sample in the video for 'Tonight, Tonight' came from and now I know.

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with Tonight, Tonight until like ten minutes after having seen A Trip to the Moon, and excluding the random awkward/embarrassing shots to the band singing and playing their instruments (seriously, just not a good look, guys), it was actually a fairly faithful representation of the original. A Trip to the Moon was a lot more mad-hat and "good lord, would all of you stop moving and doing things for just TWO SECONDS?", though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The Pumpkins were never my favorite band, but Zero is a great song. Plus, Billy Corgan is a wrestling fan and promoter, so that's a feather in his cap.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

20 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

A Trip to the Moon (1902).

On second thought, let's not go to the Moon, it is a silly place. Actually, as far as 1902 silent shorts go, it was bizarrely entertaining. Also, possibly the greatest film of all time if you're high as a kite while watching it...which I was not, but still.

am always kinda reflecting on just how much o' the sfx magic o' a trip to the moon remained cutting edge well into late 20th century. star trek guys didn't do all that much innovate compared georges méliès, which ain't all that surprising when you consider the following:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqljD2ckXBUfPtTB09DxD

is a 1966 calculator and ~$9000 in 2022 money. such were the state-of-the-art at the time. 

but yeah, am not watching the short film 'cause it is such a grand interpretation o' the jules verne tale which itself were admitted kinda bizarre. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 10/30/2022 at 1:05 PM, Lexx said:

Stop hating on the Smashing Pumpkins, that video is a 90s classic.

Don't take it too personally, I am either openly contemptuous of or straight up laugh at 99.9% of music videos, even those made by my own favorite artists. I have zero respect for the medium of music videos. Of course (and it is now time to be offensive), the only thing funnier than the band looking hilariously miscast for their own music video is Billy Corgan's voice... :shifty:

14 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am always kinda reflecting on just how much o' the sfx magic o' a trip to the moon remained cutting edge well into late 20th century. star trek guys didn't do all that much innovate compared georges méliès, which ain't all that surprising when you consider the following:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqljD2ckXBUfPtTB09DxD

is a 1966 calculator and ~$9000 in 2022 money. such were the state-of-the-art at the time. 

but yeah, am not watching the short film 'cause it is such a grand interpretation o' the jules verne tale which itself were admitted kinda bizarre. 

HA! Good Fun!

That calculator is a little on the...large side. Might need another decade or two of cooking.

Edited by Bartimaeus