Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

Why The Lost Boys Is More Ridiculous Than Twilight (msn.com)

The Lost Boys is the ideal approach to a pretty common trope in modern film and television: teen vampires. The film is purposefully campy and ridiculous at times, allowing the more emotional beats with the characters to land and for the world to be instantly memorable.

By contrast, the Twilight films never grasped that or attempted a similar trajectory, resulting in a drab and ultimately forgettable series of films. By leaning into a self-aware and sometimes ridiculous tone, The Lost Boys -- which has just received a new Ultra HD Blu-ray release from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment -- is entertaining and memorable in all the ways Twilight wasn't.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Three Thousand Years of Longing. The first 2/3 of the film were excellent, but for some reason it went downhill for me in the end. I don't know exactly why...I think that I could not make the jump to her being in love with him or how it unfolded after. Still a good movie all in all.

• Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

49 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Three Thousand Years of Longing. The first 2/3 of the film were excellent, but for some reason it went downhill for me in the end. I don't know exactly why...I think that I could not make the jump to her being in love with him or how it unfolded after. Still a good movie all in all.

I think it works. The big shame is that it didn't perform as well commercially, so studios will pump out **** like Jurassic Whatever or Top Gun: Bomb Iran Drop Freedom On Unspecified Country instead of stuff like this or Nightmare Alley.

A big aspect of the djinn's story is that giving people what they want ends tragically for them and him. The love story highlighted this and the only way to move past the mutual curse was for someone to wish for something they didn't want in order to free him.

Also Elba and Swinton are great actors so that really helps the movie.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, KP From Another World said:

I think it works. The big shame is that it didn't perform as well commercially, so studios will pump out **** like Jurassic Whatever or Top Gun: Bomb Iran Drop Freedom On Unspecified Country instead of stuff like this or Nightmare Alley.

Hide contents

A big aspect of the djinn's story is that giving people what they want ends tragically for them and him. The love story highlighted this and the only way to move past the mutual curse was for someone to wish for something they didn't want in order to free him.

Also Elba and Swinton are great actors so that really helps the movie.

Yeah, I can see that it should work, there was plenty of set up for it, but for some reason it just felt like a jarring shift to me. I don't think the last third was bad, it's just that the connection between it and rest of the movie was not seamless to me, like there should have been something more in that scene. Maybe saying it went downhill was not the correct term, I liked the ending, but because it was disjointed from the first part it didn't have the emotional impact on me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Yeah, I can see that it should work, there was plenty of set up for it, but for some reason it just felt like a jarring shift to me. I don't think the last third was bad, it's just that the connection between it and rest of the movie was not seamless to me, like there should have been something more in that scene. Maybe saying it went downhill was not the correct term, I liked the ending, but because it was disjointed from the first part it didn't have the emotional impact on me.

I see where you're coming from and I sort of agree, but I see it as a skeptic getting swept up into the fairy tale after trying to stay out of it so the shift feeling jarring plays into that. Now that I'm digesting it I'd probably rate it lower than EEAAO, but frankly that's just a testament to how good EEAAO was and I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the top 5 movies of 2022. We'll just see what Hellraiser and the Del Torro Pinocchio pull off.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just now, KP From Another World said:

I see where you're coming from and I sort of agree, but I see it as a skeptic getting swept up into the fairy tale after trying to stay out of it so the shift feeling jarring plays into that. Now that I'm digesting it I'd probably rate it lower than EEAAO, but frankly that's just a testament to how good EEAAO was and I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the top 5 movies of 2022.

EEAAO had such a great payoff, such a good movie. Even more so because I was not expecting it at all.

5 minutes ago, KP From Another World said:

We'll just see what Hellraiser and the Del Torro Pinocchio pull off.

Do you have any expectations for those? I think Hellraiser is probably going to be dead on arrival, as for Pinocchio I guess it's a toss up, but I have been that in to his recent movies.

• Hmmm 1

Just now, Sarex said:

EEAAO had such a great payoff, such a good movie. Even more so because I was not expecting it at all.

I knew it was gonna be good, but I didn't think it was going to be THAT GOOD. Incredible film.

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

Do you have any expectations for those? I think Hellraiser is probably going to be dead on arrival, as for Pinocchio I guess it's a toss up, but I have been that in to his recent movies.

I have hopes for both. I'm an unabashed Del Toro stan and to boot Disney releasing that live action/cgi abomination to sabotage his Pinocchio makes me want to root for it. Hellraiser is a dark horse but I'm cautiously optimistic. Worst comes to worst it's still not gonna be the worst Hellraiser movie.

• Haha 1

On a tangent (of sorts) from the movies:

James Earl Jones Signs Over Voice Rights to Darth Vader (gizmodo.com)

He signed over his voice rights to Respeecher, a Ukrainian tech company, which handled the voices of Luke and Vader in the latest Star Wars mini-series.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

For Y'ur Height Only (1981) - A Filipino James Bond knock-off featuring a miniature secret agent. The 3' tall Weng Weng stars as Agent 00 taking down a crime syndicate who kidnapped a scientist to get him to make N-Bombs for them. I swear I'm not making any of this up.

This movie has everything. It's got gadgets, gun fights, sword fights, a jet pack, and Weng Weng kicking so many guys in the ****. The music is terrific, but a lot of it is lifted straight from James Bond and the rest sounds an awful lot like Hong Kong cinema music. The English dub is *chef kiss* magnifique! Overall this is a very entertaining movie.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Neither of them liked the original Top Gun, but both of them really liked Maverick. What does it mean? ...I mean, I get it, since I'd agree, I enjoyed Maverick a bit more than the original, but still.

17 hours ago, Keyrock said:

The 3' tall Weng Weng stars as Agent 00 taking down a crime syndicate who kidnapped a scientist to get him to make N-Bombs for them.

NOTSUREIF.jpg

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

What does it mean?

Questionable taste.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Neither of them liked the original Top Gun, but both of them really liked Maverick. What does it mean? ...I mean, I get it, since I'd agree, I enjoyed Maverick a bit more than the original, but still.

Well, they are hack frauds, and not always right. Mike's wrong on Star Trek 2009, for instance, and on Independence Day, which is glorious high production value trash. They also like Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Nobody's perfect.:shrugz:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

25 minutes ago, majestic said:

Hey look, wrong thread!

Is there a right thread for House of the Cashgrab?

Bulldog Drummond (1929) - Rich and dapper proper British chap is bored and thus he puts out an ad in the newspaper literally asking for an adventure. A young woman who's uncle is being held hostage by a lot of unsavory types answers the ad.

Captain Drummond sure is awfully excited to put himself in danger. I'm not sure if the movie was meant to be a comedy or if it's just all the overacting. I suppose I shouldn't expect anything else from a movie from the roaring 20s, albeit the very end of them. There is a definite charm to the movie despite how hokey it is, though.

There's like 20 more Bulldog Drummond movies. I don't know if I'll ever watch all of them, but I'll likely check out some.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Nobece said:

The Man from Earth is probably one of those movies for me that has its own idea in itself that doesn't give thoughts but gives direction for thinking. 

Do yourself a major favor and don't look at the sequel, let alone watch it.

• Thanks 1

The Timekeepers of Eternity (2021).

yKiImCi.png

I've never seen a movie quite like this one...and it's quite possible that I won't again.

Spoiler

Taking the footage from an old Stephen King series that was a critical failure, The Langoliers, and reconstructing and re-framing it in a...fairly novel manner. I would say that it was very interesting and successful by most measures, and certainly worth a watch, particularly if you're weird and don't like normal.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The Timekeepers of Eternity (2021).

yKiImCi.png

I've never seen a movie quite like this one...and it's quite possible that I won't again.

Reveal hidden contents

Taking the footage from an old Stephen King series that was a critical failure, The Langoliers, and reconstructing and re-framing it in a...fairly novel manner. I would say that it was very interesting and successful by most measures, and certainly worth a watch, particularly if you're weird and don't like normal.

So you're saying I would enjoy it?

• Like 1

Just now, KP From Another World said:

So you're saying I would enjoy it?

I did actually have you precisely in mind when I wrote that, yes.

• Thanks 1