Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

Nope (2022) by Jordan Peele. I really love being able to recognize stock sounds from random games I've played over the years: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/c125advjobc7qgt/explorer_3WU1zNjcbn.mp4 (note: the one used in the movie is pretty quiet, so you might have to turn it up to hear it if you're not using headphones) The creature sound effects that have been haunting me for the last 15 years are the dog whine sound effects from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, as I've heard those sounds used in probably like fifteen other places now. Anyways, in this movie, we learn why we do not use live animals for film anymore as per @Hurlshort. Also, another pretty enjoyable film by Jordan Peele.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Psycho (1960)

I don't know what I could say that haven't been said before so I'm not going to even try. Some movies are considered classics for a damn good reason. It was a near perfect thriller for me. Only the psychiatrist exposition scene at the end felt useless. 

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

4 hours ago, kirottu said:

Psycho (1960)

I don't know what I could say that haven't been said before so I'm not going to even try. Some movies are considered classics for a damn good reason. It was a near perfect thriller for me. Only the psychiatrist exposition scene at the end felt useless. 

Yeah, that exposition dump at the end is really pretty bad, but maybe necessary for audiences in 1960.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - Humphrey "Don't" Bogart "That Joint" as the quintessential hardboiled gumshoe Samuel Spade. This is perhaps the best known detective mystery from the golden age of film noir and has been paid homage to, copied, and parodied countless times in the 80 years since its release. If you like movies with fast talking and where nobody is on the level then this is going to be right up your alley. This movie has double crosses, triple crosses, quadruple... So many crosses! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

12 minutes ago, Amentep said:

"When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it."

Yeah, that umm... It's a movie from 1941, what are you gonna do? Stuff like that unfortunately was commonplace in movies all the way through the 60s and maybe even 70s. Sean Connery smacks the **** out of women in James Bond movies. I can look past those things and write them off as products of their time, they don't ruin the movie for me. Of course, I don't have the perspective of a woman. I'm glad that a guy smacking around a woman in movies and shows these days is seen as vile rather than cool and macho.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Yeah, that umm... It's a movie from 1941, what are you gonna do? Stuff like that unfortunately was commonplace in movies all the way through the 60s and maybe even 70s. Sean Connery smacks the **** out of women in James Bond movies. I can look past those things and write them off as products of their time, they don't ruin the movie for me. Of course, I don't have the perspective of a woman. I'm glad that a guy smacking around a woman in movies and shows these days is seen as vile rather than cool and macho.

Er...that's the line where he slaps Gunsel, IIRC.  Have I misremembered?

EDIT: I haven't gone completely out of my mind, yet.  But its Cairo, not Gunsel/Wilmer, he slaps

• Thanks 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 hours ago, Amentep said:

"When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it."

So that's where my boss got that motto from.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Er...that's the line where he slaps Gunsel, IIRC.  Have I misremembered?

EDIT: I haven't gone completely out of my mind, yet.  But its Cairo, not Gunsel/Wilmer, he slaps

You're right, and I just watched the movie yesterday.:blush:

Sam Spade does get a little rough with"Ruth Wonderly", though. Granted, she's playing him and he knows it. On the other hand, that doesn't make her any different than Cairo and The Fat Man.

• Thanks 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Fantastic Planet (1973). Most of the posters for this film look something like this:

y5cfNUh5p4WzYSv27yfOHxvo3kS.jpg

But more importantly right now, I would like to draw everyone's attention to this man in particular:

firefox_6bzYslzeGz.png

Really, what more needs to be said about this film? :banana:

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Witty, funny, tragic.

I found it really well done and performed in general. Some of the occasional song moments might be a little rough, but it all kind of fits together well.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Warriors of the Apocalypse (2009) - I went back to the Len Kabasinski well because I'm a glutton for punishment. This time around it's the tale of 3 women travelling across the post apocalyptic midwest toward "the city". Since the great lakes are mentioned I'm assuming Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, Buffalo or Chicago. Also, by "post apocalypse" I mean that Len found an abandoned building and a junkyard somewhere in Pennsylvania to shoot.

Quality wise, this movie sits firmly in between the other 2 movies from Len I've seen. It has the horribly obnoxious shaky cam like Ninja Prophecy of Death, but at least the sound mixing is decent and you can hear what people are saying. Len uses quite a number of digital effects in this movie and, let me tell you, Neil Breen would be proud. There were a couple of effects that were so hilariously bad that I rewound just to watch them again. Also, the muzzle flares... *chef kiss*

I will say this, whenever the action was hand to hand combat, it wasn't half bad... Well, it wouldn't have been if not for the ****ing shaky cam. Len knows what he's doing with martial arts, just, for the love of God, stop with the shaky cam, Len.

One of my favorite tropes of crappy post apocalyptic movies is that while the survivors are fighting over some manner of scarce resource, whether food, water, fuel, or whatever, there seems to be no shortage of makeup and hair products. I guess people working for L'Oreal can rest easy knowing they have job security even through the apocalypse.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That was pretty existentially soul-crushing, but nice - thanks.

14 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Should have opened this thread first... 😂

Double down and post it in another thread.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands