Ukraine Conflict - "There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare"

Mamoulian War

That did not take very long 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Ukraine reports of a massive looting spree in Donbas and Kherson areas; hundreds of stolen cars roaming around as Russian soldiers steal everything from houses vacated by people fleeing the war. Here follows a list of all the people in the world surprised by something like this:

Presumably this might signal something slightly positive, too, in the sense that these soldiers are about to head home with their loot (but not much XP).

Rumors are the "battle for donbass" has started. Apparently "big attack by Ukraine against Donetsk and Luchansk."

Personally I feel like some folks are a bit overhyped now. But nice dream to have, I guess.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Now, I am not an expert on this, but doesn't it look like the Crimean bridge and Putin's mansion should soon(ish) be in Ukrainian HIMARS range? Laugh away if I'm just completely unaware of what I'm talking about.

Shouldn't be, with the missiles most people think they have, the bridge wouldn't even be in range from Sevastapol, and Putin's palace is 130 km further away.

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

41 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Now, I am not an expert on this, but doesn't it look like the Crimean bridge and Putin's mansion should soon(ish) be in Ukrainian HIMARS range? Laugh away if I'm just completely unaware of what I'm talking about.

With the current armament, the Kerch bridge would be in range only from deoccupied Crimea. Namely Primorsky city is the furthest one from where it would be reachable.

• Thanks 1

or neptun missile :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Not sure it's in range for that either, maybe from Nova Kakhovka. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Okay, so I was just uninformed and ignorant. Thanks for the corrections!

There is still a possibility of HRIM-2 system already existing. Neptune missiles were for everyone just a fiction, until they sunk Moskva. This one would be able to attack Kerch Bridge soon. But there is a lot of S400 around, and this if it exists, has definitely very limited stockpile of missiles, so shooting it to soon, might be just a waste of missiles and money for UA. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrim-2

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

I was thinking along those same lines. But then, should this spread enough, there are not going to be enough bombs, so things may change. Let us have some hope for that.

Zelensky's rethoric is fairly strong, and not bad at all, in his latest "address" to Russia:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/12/europe/zelensky-message-kharkiv-russia-ukraine-intl/index.html

As a political scientist I am quite impressed how well, and consistently well, Zelenskiy has been with his political performance since the RU invasion. This particular line in that interview, which I had seen elsewhere, is pure political gold (and just plain awesome too):

"Cold, hunger, darkness and thirst are not as scary and deadly for us as your 'friendship and brotherhood.' But history will put everything in its place. And we will be with gas, light, water and food ... and WITHOUT you!" (his emphasis)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

That could also change with the fall of Kherson, because as kanisatha has mentioned, the most elite Russian forces and a lot of FSB is stationed there.

Indeed.

The Ukrainian strategy here is brilliant. Gievn RU softness currently in the Donbas the UA is hitting them hard there, including the new offensive now into Luhansk. But the Donbas is what Putin and co. have been insisting the war is ALL about now for months. So how can they justify losing the Donbas while holding onto Kherson and the southern areas? So I now fully expect the Russians will have no choice but to pull out a lot of their forces in the south, including their best forces there, and move them (back) to the Donbas. And the instant that happens, based on that awesome real-time battlefield intel from the US, the UA will launch a big push in the south to take advantage of the Russian pullout. But even in the Donbas, those RU reinforcements will end up being too little too late (and they will take a pounding from UA artillery as they move). Many Western intel analysts now say RU has lost the ability to mount large-scale offensive ops, and can barely handle large-scale defensive ops. This is why all of this could be the endgame for the war ... and maybe why Lavrov yesterday finally came out of the hole he's hiding in to say that he was 'ready' for negotiations with the Ukrainians whenever they are willing to talk.

Side-note: We can now also see in Libya, Syria, and the south Caucasus anti-Russian forces on the move because they all sense Russia's conventional military weakness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Realistically speaking, someone like Patrusev would appear to be even worse than Putin, though it's debatable whether he'd qualify as "much worse", and I hope we don't get to find out.

Yeltsin semi permanently killed any chance of a 'western' 'liberal' leader in Russia since he had the west's unrestricted backing- including a truly massive intervention in the 1996 election in which Yeltsin outspent campaign rules by up to 1000 times (not +1000%, a thousand times) via western money- yet was an unmitigated disaster for Russia. Western support is kiss of death territory for the average Russian, the only people it counts for positively are middle class++ urbanites who actually did OK under Yeltsin. Even the human rights situation wasn't actually better, more opposition politicians and journalists died suspiciously or violently under Yeltsin than under Putin (to 2014 when I last checked the figures, but then that was 14 years of Putin vs 8 years of Yeltsin, so...). There's a single pro west candidate with more than 5% support, just by some polls, and as previous that's Navalny who is picked for that support mostly for being anti Putin rather than for his outstanding qualities and beliefs. The other most popular and supported leaders in Russia were Zhirinovsky- who made Putin look like Ghandi- and Zyuganov

(Caligula was most definitely the victim of a concerted smear campaign by the Sun Journalist equivalent of the time, Suetonius, who is nearly our sole source on the subject. "Sheesh, my horse could do a better job as consul than you senators" <--> "Look what that LOONY TUNE Gaius has done NOW! He's going to make his HORSE Incatatus Consul! Do we need further evidence his BONKERS quotient is through the ROOF*?". Suetonius, of course, while not a member of the senatorial class was a member of the equestrian one, just below it.

*Who am I kidding, the average Sun reader's head would explode at the word 'quotient')

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

Article sounds like someone trying to say "no intervention is necessary! Prices are all good! Pinky swear!"

Yeah historically, September is the month prices start ramping up for winter, not start dropping. They'd be worried about windfall taxes though most likely, not intervention per se. If prices get capped the EU will almost certainly have to pay the difference as is the case with the announced £150bn scheme in the UK. The alternative may be not getting the gas at all.

A windfall tax scheme is a great way to claim back a lot of those costs though, and would be politically highly popular.

Edited by Zoraptor

"There are no Ukrainian infidels in Moscow. Never!" - Russian Information Minister

I do think Putin will take to using part of the nuclear arsenal against Ukraine before that happens though. Also why I believe it to be the main reason Biden will not send any toys to Kiev that can hit Russia from afar, because he expects a similar outcome. Defensive warfare support only.

@Zoraptor yeah, I wouldn't put it past the west to support Navalny. Just what Russia needs. An ultra-nationalist, whose first bullet point on the agenda is to kill off all Muslims living in the Russian Federation and the the second bullet point being to unite all Russian speakers in a Großrussia.

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, kanisatha said:

As a political scientist I am quite impressed how well, and consistently well, Zelenskiy has been with his political performance since the RU invasion. This particular line in that interview, which I had seen elsewhere, is pure political gold (and just plain awesome too):

"Cold, hunger, darkness and thirst are not as scary and deadly for us as your 'friendship and brotherhood.' But history will put everything in its place. And we will be with gas, light, water and food ... and WITHOUT you!" (his emphasis)

A few months ago I watched an interview where a former KGB guy said the only surprise for him in the war has been the fact that apparently there's a new Churchill in Ukraine. I wouldn't go that far, at least not yet, but I agree that Zelenskyi has been impressive. (It was also funny that Russia's corruption and lack of military prowess did NOT surprise the KGB guy.)

I enjoy the historical context in his use of "friendship and brotherhood". It has been Russia's and the Soviet Union's habit to attempt to mask occupation, warfare and just plain slaughter in language of brotherly assistance(*) and sometimes even love, and of course everybody and their mother knows this. But it was still a good choice of words from Zelenskyi('s speechwriters).

(*) I mean, just as an example, when Soviet forces began streaming into Afghanistan on Christmas Eve 1979, the minister of defence, Dmitry Ustinov, declared to his own troops that it was not an invasion, and the idea repeated to the world again and again throughout the next decade or so was that the Soviets were trying to restore stability at a time when the "political and military situation in the Middle East" was in turmoil, and after requests by the government in Kabul "to provide international help to the friendly Afghan people". Perhaps a bit rich, that, as far as lies go. (And yeah, I'm sure you knew.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

@Zoraptor yeah, I wouldn't put it past the west to support Navalny. Just what Russia needs. An ultra-nationalist, whose first bullet point on the agenda is to kill off all Muslims living in the Russian Federation and the the second bullet point being to unite all Russian speakers in a Großrussia.

Gorthfuscious !!! Stop being naughty  and pushing unnecessary anti-Western rhetoric

Once Putin is gone it wont be the West who decides his replacement, it will be the Duma and the Federation Council who will decide his replacement 

Of course if they replace him with " another Putin " type that could be problematic. Lets try to be positive and believe the Ruskies would have learnt from Putins autocracy but these political developments would be up to the Russians

The West wont decide this for Russia 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

(*) I mean, just as an example, when Soviet forces began streaming into Afghanistan on Christmas Eve 1979, the minister of defence, Dmitry Ustinov, declared to his own troops that it was not an invasion, and the idea repeated to the world again and again throughout the next decade or so was that the Soviets were trying to restore stability at a time when the "political and military situation in the Middle East" was in turmoil, and after requests by the government in Kabul "to provide international help to the friendly Afghan people". Perhaps a bit rich, that, as far as lies go. (And yeah, I'm sure you knew.)

The same rhetoric was used, when Soviet Union invaded Czechoslovakia in 1968. It ended without slaughter though, with few people being killed in my homecity as well. The reason why no fight against USSR happened, was that we were at that time country overwhelmed by communist collaborators...

• Like 3

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/exclusive-war-began-putin-rejected-ukraine-peace-deal-recommended-by-his-aide-2022-09-14/

Interesting to read, some Kremlin sources (I really value the third one less when they mention they just heard from other people so often) leaking this.

• Thanks 1

According to one of our Main TV stations (which is in my eyes not the pinnacle of journalistic integrity, although they do have very high reliability, if they do not intentionally omit some stuff) Georgia will be holding referendum, whetter declare war to Russia, to take back Abkhazia and South Ossetia. Slovak trolls paid by Russia are now whining all over local “internet”.

And I am enjoying it, while it lasts 🤣

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

According to one of our Main TV stations (which is in my eyes not the pinnacle of journalistic integrity, although they do have very high reliability, if they do not intentionally omit some stuff) Georgia will be holding referendum, whetter declare war to Russia, to take back Abkhazia and South Ossetia. Slovak trolls paid by Russia are now whining all over local “internet”.

And I am enjoying it, while it lasts 🤣

Pretty sure that won't end very well for Georgia, though.  No free US weapons heading their way any time soon.

• Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Pretty sure that won't end very well for Georgia, though.  No free US weapons heading their way any time soon.

IMHO, this will depend on how big ties they have made to Azerbaijan during this year, because they are significantly backed by Turkey, and Azerbaijan hates Russia as much as Georgia AFAIK. The other thing is, how big damage to UA will be able to do to Russia during the winter. 

To me it seems like foolish thing to do, but realistically, Georgia will not have better opportunity to get their territory back, than during this conflict. And you never know, maybe US will send one or two HIMARSes there with some backing as a goodwill gesture… Only Time will tell…

The only other possibility for Georgia to get it back would be, that if Ukraine’s victory would be so decisive, that they could force Russia to anything, when signing peace treaty. And as much as I would love to see that. I do not think, that this is realistic scenario in the foreseeable future…

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Thanks 1