Ukraine Conflict - "There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare"

Mamoulian War

https://www.aol.com/putin-announces-partial-mobilization-russian-062025101.html

Here is a summary of the new Russian war strategy, according to Putin its " partial mobilization " 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Interesting commentary on the speech from a former Nordic military intelligence boss:

No declaration of war because of the risks: a special operation can always be discontinued, whereas a war must be won or lost, and the failure would be on Putin. Putin is essentially threatening the west with nuclear weapons, hoping it will weaken the resolve to aid Ukraine (unlikely to work, according to this former boss). The Russian leadership appears to be in a state of panic, fearing it will lose the Luhansk oblast next. The newly-imposed punishments on refusal to serve etc. will not improve Russian morale; the contrary is more likely. Russia is not even capable of full mobilization, because neither the system nor the equipment is there -- not even enough trainers for the new recruits. Russia is not capable of increasing arms productions in a big way because it lacks materials, components and capable workers. The partial mobilization will not affect the situation on the front in the next months. The new reserves will likely be sent to Donbas to try to stop the Ukrainian offensive.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 2

Must be great for morale, that!

Also, Putin is making a whole lot of sense with this: “After the Kiev regime actually publicly refused a peaceful solution to the Donbas problem today and, moreover, announced its claim to nuclear weapons, it became absolutely clear that a new next large-scale offensive in the Donbas, as it had already happened twice before, was inevitable.”

Edited by xzar_monty

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

I can even go a step further and tell you that Israel did not sign it ... but Russia did. Woops. Also, yes, it is whataboutism since you are defending russia with pointing out that others do it as well. Again, just make your own thread about it, nobody in the west is going to try to silence you. Which is, by the way, one of the perks we have here - you can speak your mind without having to fear to go to the gulag, or re-education camp, or getting drafted to die in a stupid war as cannon fodder.

Nope, still not whataboutism since it's directly relevant to war crimes claims.

At this point I'd just about prefer the gulag to another post relying on a 10 second google though.

ie ultimately your whole post is irrelevant since:

Incendiary Weapons do not include

(ii) Munitions designed to combine penetration, blast or fragmentation effects with an
additional incendiary effect, such as armour-piercing projectiles, fragmentation shells,
explosive bombs and similar combined-effects munitions in which the incendiary
effect is not specifically designed to cause burn injury to persons, but to be used
against military objectives, such as armoured vehicles, aircraft and installations or
facilities.

Thermite in that form is actually pretty poor at causing burns to people except incidentally. It's pretty good at burning holes through light armoured vehicles though. Which, I would note, I did specifically mention. The defence is and will always be that they're targeting the military, incendiary effect is incidental. Which you may not like, but it applies to an absolute shedload of other munitions too, not least M31/ HiMARS/ M270 which contain highly flammable and hot burning powdered aluminium. Now, I just wait to see if someone labels a munition being used in this actual war as 'whataboutism' too.

Ancillary:

Protection of civilians and civilian objects

1. It is prohibited in all circumstances to make the civilian population as such, individual civilians or civilian objects the object of attack by incendiary weapons.
2. It is prohibited in all circumstances to make any military objective located within a concentration of civilians the object of attack by air-delivered incendiary weapons.
3. It is further prohibited to make any military objective located within a concentration of civilians the object of attack by means of incendiary weapons other than air-delivered incendiary weapons, except when such military objective is clearly separated from the concentration of civilians and all feasible precautions are taken with a view to limiting the incendiary effects to the military objective and to avoiding, and in any event to minimizing, incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians and damage to civilian objects.
4. It is prohibited to make forests or other kinds of plant cover the object of attack by incendiary weapons except when such natural elements are used to cover, conceal or camouflage combatants or other military objectives, or are themselves military objectives.

(3,4) obviously not relevant, not a forest, is air delivered
(1) Also not relevant, perhaps surprisingly.

3. "Military objective" means, so far as objects are concerned, any object which by its nature, location, purpose or use makes an effective contribution to military action and whose total or partial destruction, capture or neutralization, in the circumstances ruling at the time, offers a definite military advantage.
4. "Civilian objects" are all objects which are not military objectives as defined in paragraph 3

ie a town is not in and of itself exempt from targeting by incendiaries, if you define it as a military objective. Unsurprisingly, everyone does.

(2) You'd need some evidence that a near frontline town that is a recent recapture has a 'concentration of civilians'. If it were... Lvov or Kiev, sure. It isn't though
Additional quotes are sourced from UNODA.
  • Like 1

How do I put people on the ignore list in this forum?

/Edit: Nevermind, found it in the profile settings. Funny, I also had Oby on the ignore list.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

He who desires not to look at his fellow man with contempt should avoid this thread and others like it: nothing good ever comes from arguing with those whose feelings are more determinant to their positions than fairness or logic.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

He who desires not to look at his fellow man with contempt should avoid this thread and others like it: nothing good ever comes from arguing with those whose feelings are more determinant to their positions than fairness or logic.

Did you mean to post this in the Anime thread?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Did you mean to post this in the Anime thread?

No, :).

• Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Must be great for morale, that!

Also, Putin is making a whole lot of sense with this: “After the Kiev regime actually publicly refused a peaceful solution to the Donbas problem today and, moreover, announced its claim to nuclear weapons, it became absolutely clear that a new next large-scale offensive in the Donbas, as it had already happened twice before, was inevitable.”

Edited by Mamoulian War
sighs... forum software failed see my post bellow

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I am curious how the soldiers with "improved" morale from prolonged contracts will fight in Donbas now, when the most elite and trained soldiers, which are now dead or crippled, were able to secure since the fall of Lysychansk only area in approximate size of Andorra... less than 500km2...

Edited by Mamoulian War
EDIT function fails today...
  • Like 1

And I bet, with winter at the doors only indigenous people from Siberia and beyond will be partially mobilized, and ethnic Russians will be cheering their genocide from their comfy sofas at home... EDIT: Sorry for triple post but as soon as I press Enter, the forum software removes everything, which I typed after the Enter... EDIT2: Russian patriotism live 😄https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/09/21/7368414/ (all direct flights to Istanbul and Yerevan booked as soon as Putin speech ended 😄 )

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mamoulian War said:

And I bet, with winter at the doors only indigenous people from Siberia and beyond will be partially mobilized, and ethnic Russians will be cheering their genocide from their comfy sofas at home

I keep seeing stuff like this, but with nothing backing it. Sort of funny to see the Russians do a stop loss.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's rich. Good to see the top minds still don't know what whataboutism is.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

39 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I keep seeing stuff like this, but with nothing backing it. Sort of funny to see the Russians do a stop loss.

Barti wont last 1 minute on Codex  if  he thinks this thread is vituperative  :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

37 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I feel like you got the opposite intended reading of my admittedly deliberately ambiguously worded post. C'est la vie, :shrugz:.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Barti wont last 1 minute on Codex  if  he thinks this thread is vituperative  :lol:

i guess, wouldn't aspire to ending up like that place, else you'll turn into some moron bringing up SJWs or "woke" apropos of nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I feel like you got the opposite intended reading of my admittedly deliberately ambiguously worded post. C'est la vie, :shrugz:.

In defense, I also struggled with the exact meaning, since the post can be read in at least two ways. :p

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 minute ago, Lexx said:

In defense, I also struggled with the exact meaning, since the post can be read in at least two ways. :p

That was part of the intent, but really, it's more just a general warning on these kinds of threads, whose subjects obviously hit very close to home for some, simply not being a great arena for civil meetings of the minds when feelings and allegiances differ in such an inherently irresolvable manner. Saying this would seem to make me the forum's biggest hypocrite, seeing as I am pretty infamous for being the god-emperor of putting people on ignore...but I'm O.K. with that, particularly given that my criteria for putting people on ignore is a little different in that it's usually just "do I consistently dislike reading posts by this person across the forum?".

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

2 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Then do I have some recommendations for you!

I've changed my mind.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

i guess, wouldn't aspire to ending up like that place, else you'll turn into some moron bringing up SJWs or "woke" apropos of nothing.

Codex isnt that bad, you can ignore the political debates and there lots of members who dont engage in politics and just discuss games

John Milton 

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

That was part of the intent, but really, it's more just a general warning on these kinds of threads, whose subjects obviously hit very close to home for some, simply not being a great arena for civil meetings of the minds when feelings and allegiances differ in such an inherently irresolvable manner. Saying this would seem to make me the forum's biggest hypocrite, seeing as I am pretty infamous for being the god-emperor of putting people on ignore...but I'm O.K. with that, particularly given that my criteria for putting people on ignore is a little different in that it's usually just "do I consistently dislike reading posts by this person across the forum?".

Sounds very SJW to me and VERY woke :teehee:

John Milton