The All Things Political Topic - Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Gfted1

13 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

..but it would be much more difficult to express those problems in a violent killing spree if access to guns was more tightly controlled.

Up to a point; serious gun crime has actually gone up here after the Mosque attack reforms. In part due to external factors but only in part. No mass shootings, but then we'd only ever had like three (?) mass shootings in 180 years anyway and the one previous to Christchurch was nearly 30 years prior. And as always, the Mosque attack itself would/ could have been prevented if the Police had done their jobs and actually interviewed the shooter's referees etc, so adding even more checks is pointless if they can't be bothered carrying out even basic ones (and don't face any consequences either).

Think I've said it before, but from personal experience the whole police vetting thing was a bit of a joke, and mostly an excuse for a retired police officer to keep getting paid while getting tea, biscuits and additional expenses for minimal effort. At least, if I'd wanted to game the process I could have done so very easily- and my dad certainly never had the required safe storage for his gun.

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

have mentioned previous the myth o' the lawless wild west towns. reality is most municipalities other than a few notable mining towns in ca and other far west states, enacted extreme limits on gun possession w/i city/town limits, and such remained the norm 'til 'round ww2.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

firefox_RApISD0qc9.png

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 hours ago, Raithe said:

for those unaware, mr. kerr has a more personal pov on gun violence than does most o' us.

The assassination of Steve Kerr's father and the unlikely story of a champion

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Im looking for some feedback on something I have observed about this latest shooting in the US and how the global media frames these crimes. I am interested in how the local media within your country discusses it 

I dont believe in conspiracy theories or generalizations that become the truth. But I can comment exactly on how the SA media is covering this compared to the shooting in Buffalo the week before

So the Buffalo shooting was raised as " white racist kills black people in another shooting " or something very similar

But this Texas shooting has been described as " another mass shooting in  US school, pupils are killed "....or something similar 

But the race wasnt  brought up either about the shooter or the victims. I would have expected consistency and  the media to frame it as " Hispanic shooter kills white and Hispanic pupils in shooting " 

So how has your local media framed this Texas shooting and why does race get brought up in one mass shooting and not another?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I dont believe in [...] generalizations that become the truth unless they confirm my biases.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

25 minutes ago, majestic said:

Fixed that for you.

Interesting feedback, thanks for the relevant response :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

48 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Im looking for some feedback on something I have observed about this latest shooting in the US and how the global media frames these crimes. I am interested in how the local media within your country discusses it 

I dont believe in conspiracy theories or generalizations that become the truth. But I can comment exactly on how the SA media is covering this compared to the shooting in Buffalo the week before

So the Buffalo shooting was raised as " white racist kills black people in another shooting " or something very similar

But this Texas shooting has been described as " another mass shooting in  US school, pupils are killed "....or something similar 

But the race wasnt  brought up either about the shooter or the victims. I would have expected consistency and  the media to frame it as " Hispanic shooter kills white and Hispanic pupils in shooting " 

So how has your local media framed this Texas shooting and why does race get brought up in one mass shooting and not another?

Buffalo shooter published manifesto where he told that he will go shoot black people because they are black.

Uvalde Shooter and victims were latino and from same neighborhood and shooter didn't publish manifesto, but send someone messages in facebook where he told that he will shoot his grandmother and then go to shoot people in elementary school

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Buffalo shooter published manifesto where he told that he will go shoot black people because they are black.

Uvalde Shooter and victims were latino and from same neighborhood and shooter didn't publish manifesto, but send someone messages in facebook where he told that he will shoot his grandmother and then go to shoot people in elementary school

Thats a good point, so you saying the media will generally report on the race of the shooter and the victims if their is something like a stated manifesto?

John Milton 

2 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Thats a good point, so you saying the media will generally report on the race of the shooter and the victims if their is something like a stated manifesto?

yes or race is for some other reason relevant for the story 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Probably after the situation's done based on the crowd and the cops there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Pidesco said:

And with all that money, the cops rescued their own children before barricading the shooter inside the school and tasering parents outside. Truly exemplars of heroism.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

And with all that money, the cops rescued their own children before barricading the shooter inside the school and tasering parents outside. Truly exemplars of heroism.

Are you ****ting me...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I don't understand the police response. We practice run, hide, defend drills every year, and every year we have police come on campus. Their policy is they engage immediately if there is a threat on campus. It doesn't matter if it is only one officer, they are supposed to go as directly as possible to the threat. I have a hard time believing they don't have the same policies in Texas.

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Are you ****ting me...

Nope. In the video you can see them holding a guy down and a taser in a cop's hand. Here's the source where they admit they got their own kids out during the shooting, or at least tried to.

I've also heard that a cop directly caused the death of a child by asking them to yell if they need help, which allowed the shooter to find a kid and shoot them.

3 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I don't understand the police response. We practice run, hide, defend drills every year, and every year we have police come on campus. Their policy is they engage immediately if there is a threat on campus. It doesn't matter if it is only one officer, they are supposed to go as directly as possible to the threat. I have a hard time believing they don't have the same policies in Texas.

I believe that the cops are a bunch of chicken****s who sacrificed 20 people because they missed a few shots and got scared. I won't claim to know what policies there are, but they don't mean anything if they're going to be dropped the second resistance is encountered.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Also it's a bit bewildering to see the same people that have been crying about teachers brainwashing kids with CRT or SEL are now like "Teachers should have guns!" You trust me with a weapon but not a textbook. :huh:

If only pointing out hypocrisy had any effect on hypocrites. :unsure:

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

as is usual, a whole lotta folks is making claims based on imperfect info. after actual reading the links provided in this thread, it sounds as if the cops did engage the shooter immediate, at which time at least two cops were injured. that said, am admitted curious 'bout the time delay before somebody obtained a key for the door to the room where the shooter barricade himself. is also a whole lotta not info 'bout the cops s'posed evacuating their own kids. details? none provided in this thread. that said, am having no issue whatsoever if cops evacuated kids from the school and simultaneous prevented rando parents from trying to enter the school. a whole lotta angry and frightened parents (texas parents some o' whom likely were armed as well) running 'round the school were not gonna improve the situation. no doubt the longer the cops stood around looking impotent, the angrier parents became, and the more difficult it became to control the situation, but preventing parents from acting on the "just rush in" impulse does not seem unreasonable. the timeline is curious and am gonna want info as to why it took so long to gain access to the room where the shooter were barricaded, but most other complaints we has seen thus far appear to be based on complete unsubstantiated sources not actual contained in the links, or is conjured rage which reflects all too obvious biases.

btw, cops is not paid heroes. they ain't even soldiers. you people watch too much tv. first job for most o' these cops is to get home safe to family. safety o' self and fellow cops is actual priority number one. the internet, which never lies, tells us the average yearly pay for texas cops is $53k. how much heroism is you folks paying for with $53k a year? you don't like the reality? then nationalize cops and turn 'em into a military force as 'posed to civilian. @Guard Dog would have issues, but then you could order the cops to be heroes. problem solved, right?

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not sure what a "freighted parent" is, so we corrected. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

56 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Also it's a bit bewildering to see the same people that have been crying about teachers brainwashing kids with CRT or SEL are now like "Teachers should have guns!" You trust me with a weapon but not a textbook. :huh:

I knew it, so you are teaching CRT...thank you for being honest :p

And most people wouldnt have an issue with teachers getting a gun because you would go on  firearms training and you would be a responsible gun owner IMO 

John Milton 

21 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

cops is not paid heroes. they ain't even soldiers. you people watch too much tv.

Well or listen to the cops.

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

Maybe they'll means test the guns by verifying that you aren't a card carrying member of the communist party a CRT propagandist?

The worst suggestion I've seen comes from good ol' Ted Cruz, who thinks that schools should have one entrance with an armed guard. Without even touching on the effectiveness of such a thing or the costs in converting existing buildings into single entrances, what does that dumb mother****er think is going to happen if there is a fire?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/26/ted-cruz-angrily-quits-interview-gun-control

"Cruz turned. Leaning close to the reporter and jabbing his finger, he said: “Why is it that people come from all over the world to America? Because it’s the freest, most prosperous, safest country on earth.  “And save me the propaganda.”

:lol:

42 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Maybe they'll means test the guns by verifying that you aren't a card carrying member of the communist party a CRT propagandist?

The worst suggestion I've seen comes from good ol' Ted Cruz, who thinks that schools should have one entrance with an armed guard. Without even touching on the effectiveness of such a thing or the costs in converting existing buildings into single entrances, what does that dumb mother****er think is going to happen if there is a fire?

They've been slowly fencing off all of the schools on the Bay Area over the last 22 years. It makes it look a bit like a prison, but I get it. This year they put a bunch of big cast iron fences up at my wife's school that separate the sports fields from the school buildings, but they didn't make them push gates, so they basically trapped the students on campus. It was left to the PE teachers to point out the stupidity, and now they have to redo all of them. :rolleyes:

• Sad 1