What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

Me: "Only one wall outlet on this side. I may need another super long corded powerstrip. I may need to daisy chain one. Maybe if I move this over here and that over there..."
Hubby: "...you have too much stuff."
Me: "I don't know what you're talking about."

2 PC's, 1 PS4, 3 sets of pc speaker (all need a plug), 2 monitors, 1 TV, phone/tablet charger, 2 DSLR camera battery chargers, 3 air filters, ps4 controller charger, 1 external internal-type HDD reader, 3 external HDD storage (don't have to be plugged in all the time but needs plugs near the PC's), 1 old laptop (always has to be plugged in, doesn't hold a charge long), an oversized electric heating pad (winter), 1 tiny lamp, misc. few other things.

Perfectly normal these days, right?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh, also ... beware of crazed/aggressive ol' Asian lady in a red wagon trying to stick close to her hubby's van/prevent anyone else (especially taller car else's) from changing lanes in front of her since she still doesn't have the route memorized and doesn't want to lose sight of that van....

I swear, you leave more than 10 feet between cars and people still try to force in (at 75mph+).

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 4/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, BruceVC said:

GD you too young to retire, what are you going to do if you retire and arent you worried you will get very bored ?

You know what I've wanted to do? By an RV and spend the following twenty years or so living the gypsy life all over the US, Mexico, & Canada. Camp in State & National Parks, see everything there is to nee in North America from Cabo San Lucas to Newfoundland, Fairbanks to Key West. Like that old song:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

desk-032.jpg

...there will be another homemade table (vs. boxes..) on the left side, so I'll finally have my "U". Meaning when done, from the doorway hubby might still get to see the top of my forehead. Long day. Time for bed.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

You know what I've wanted to do? By an RV and spend the following twenty years or so living the gypsy life all over the US, Mexico, & Canada. Camp in State & National Parks, see everything there is to nee in North America from Cabo San Lucas to Newfoundland, Fairbanks to Key West. Like that old song:

I know you have mentioned this before and I am envious of anyone being able to do that in country like the US, and neighboring countries,  which is so huge and has so much to see and experience  in the states. 

Have  you mentioned this to Gail and if so what does she think? I also realize this is more a retirement objective and hopefully is a long way off ;)( and I dont mean it because of financial reasons because you have made very prudent investments, I mean it from the point of view that sometimes the lack of purpose in retirement can be a bad thing for some )

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

I know you have mentioned this before and I am envious of anyone being able to do that in country like the US, and neighboring countries,  which is so huge and has so much to see and experience  in the states. 

Have  you mentioned this to Gail and if so what does she think? I also realize this is more a retirement objective and hopefully is a long way off ;)( and I dont mean it because of financial reasons because you have made very prudent investments, I mean it from the point of view that sometimes the lack of purpose in retirement can be a bad thing for some )

Oh yes, we've talked about it. There are... unresolved problems... between us that complicate things like that. That is a long conversation. We'll see how it goes. 

As far as actually retiring next year that is also depending an a number of things. I have a 401k, IRA, and eventually SS to provide an income once I'm 65. If I pull the trigger in 2024 I'd need 12 years of modest income off investment to make up the gap. It's do-able IF somethings already in process continue to go my way. We'll see. It's more of a hope than a plan at this point. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

the past couple years have seen considerable economic uncertainty. we ain't lost a wink o' sleep 'cause o' concerns we ain't got enough to weather future potential downturns... save for a the road scenario. 

'course if we hadn't been so uptight 'bout money, we coulda' retired a bit sooner.

regardless, sounds as if gd managed to escape the moskva in time. 

you and the captain had it all planned from the start, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Speaking of which, just last night my wife booked us a week long vacation in Cabo in August. Were doing our typical stay at an adults only, all inclusive, resort. w00t! Were a little burned out on Cancun and the Pacific beaches are much nicer. I just hope the reefs arent torched yet.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Speaking of which, just last night my wife booked us a week long vacation in Cabo in August. Were doing our typical stay at an adults only, all inclusive, resort. w00t! Were a little burned out on Cancun and the Pacific beaches are much nicer. I just hope the reefs arent torched yet.

Post some photos of these destinations when you get their, where is Cabo?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Oh yes, we've talked about it. There are... unresolved problems... between us that complicate things like that. That is a long conversation. We'll see how it goes. 

As far as actually retiring next year that is also depending an a number of things. I have a 401k, IRA, and eventually SS to provide an income once I'm 65. If I pull the trigger in 2024 I'd need 12 years of modest income off investment to make up the gap. It's do-able IF somethings already in process continue to go my way. We'll see. It's more of a hope than a plan at this point. 

If you need a wingman for your RV tours just let me know

And I have my own money so dont worry about that 🥳

John Milton 

2 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Its in the Southern tip of the Baja peninsula:

39_w.gif

We usually go to Cancun (far right of picture).

Ive never been to Mexico, Central America or South America but I have always wanted to go. I love the food and social culture 

John Milton 

Mexico gives you a great bang-for-your-buck and this will be our first time to Cabo, so were pretty pumped. Although now looking at the map I wish we would have checked the prices to Acapulco. Ive always wanted to go there! Oh well this one is already booked so maybe next vacation. :lol:

The friendliest place Ive ever been to is in SAmerica, Chile. The people there were just sublime. Of course that was the early 90's so things may have changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Mexico gives you a great bang-for-your-buck and this will be our first time to Cabo, so were pretty pumped. Although now looking at the map I wish we would have checked the prices to Acapulco. Ive always wanted to go there! Oh well this one is already booked so maybe next vacation. :lol:

The friendliest place Ive ever been to is in SAmerica, Chile. The people there were just sublime. Of course that was the early 90's so things may have changed.

How many South American countries have you been to and have you ever been to Central America?

I mentioned this before but these regions are often highlighted in US food shows like Bizarre Foods Delicious Destinations  and they look exactly like places I would love to travel to 🍲

These regions love their pork and thats my favorite meat. We have these Brazilian and Argentinian  themed restaurants in SA and they offer a  real festive dining experience 

https://www.rodiziogrill.co.za

John Milton 

28 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

We had around a dozen family members over for Easter dinner. My wife made a ton of dishes and some of the guests brought food too. Ive got leftovers for the rest of the week. :lol:

Holiday lunch\dinner leftovers are the best, what  meat did you have to feast on?

We back in Durban now and I am really going to miss the dinner and breakfast buffets at the resort, the quality and selection of food was excellent 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Spoiler

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Spoiler

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 5

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My nephew is continuously sick (I don't think I've seen him without a runny nose), but then again so was his father when he was a kid, now he's the terminator. It can sometimes be like that with kids. Hopefully your nieces get better and stronger than ever soon.

While we are on the matter of being sick, I have a fever for two days now, my head hurts and I actually feel sick unlike when I had corona. I guess the regular old flu is back and wants it's interest.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

15 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Most times, no, I'd just be secondary, but weeks where they're home from school, it swings a lot more my way. I have to say that I'm not loving it, especially given their current condition, :p. I'm praying that they'll be healthy enough to return to school sometime this week - school starts up again tomorrow, but there's no way they can do that given their fever is still going strong today.

You sir are a good uncle!

• Gasp! 1

Thomas Sowell

Last months trip to New York has borne fruit. We have a new customer and a new project. It will probably be a year (maybe more) before I play a role in that project. G & I spent six days there and had a great time. But I'm glad I don't live there. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Last months trip to New York has borne fruit. We have a new customer and a new project. It will probably be a year (maybe more) before I play a role in that project. G & I spent six days there and had a great time. But I'm glad I don't live there. 

GD somehow I knew you were going to say " I dont think I could live their " :lol:

You comparing it to the beauty and serenity of Cold Creek and the  majestic wilderness  of Tennessee

Or maybe I am wrong, why are you glad you dont live their ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton