Qatar 2022 - The Thread!

Katphood

:lol:

In other amusing news, had a pitch invader yesterday, LGBT flag, pro-Ukraine and pro-Iranian protesters statements on his tshirt.

Not a big surprise that.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

26 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

"The point's been made, now let's ignore it", is kind of what you're saying, isn't it?

Yes the point has been made. Remember the WC also benefits non-first world countries revenue streams  around local   DSTV rights and people going to watch games in sports bars and other similar venues. Its very popular in Cpt and they have most bars dedicating the evening to watching and supporting the WC 

We dont want to now start making people feel guilty as if watching the games is a moral  or ethical sin because for most people its just about supporting your country and the love of the game

But we never ignore our views  around SJ or equality, so we always support  LGBT rights for example. But we should still watch the WC now for the  last games. Because its now about something that is important outside of the original  human rights abuses in Qatar. And people have protested and the message was clear :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Malcador said:

:lol:

In other amusing news, had a pitch invader yesterday, LGBT flag, pro-Ukraine and pro-Iranian protesters statements on his tshirt.

Not a big surprise that.

I wasn't  surprised other :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes the point has been made.

I would argue that "the point", as a viewpoint expressed in words, is essentially meaningless, and what matters is deeds -- although I admit that in this case it's hard for an individual to do anything that has an impact.

But I would still compare your stance to that of a new store opening on your street, you first saying that you don't like it but then going to buy something from that store while still maintaining that you don't like it. In this instance, your expressed dislike is meaningless compared to the fact that you actually give money to the store you say you don't like, thus actually supporting it.

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Guys its the US vs Iran tonight and I should we all watch it to support our American forum friends like @Gfted1, @ShadySands@Hurlshort@rjshae @Keyrock @kanisatha  @Amentepto name a few

I think the points been made strongly about the human rights issues in Qatar, there have been loads of protests and necessary attention on this WC. So who is with me ...go US for tonight 🇺🇸 ⚽

I'm rooting for Poland.🇵🇱

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm rooting for Poland.🇵🇱

I feel for you having to watch that.  I'm supporting Germany so I have to suffer whatever the hell their managers have called a setup for the last 8 years.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Senegal is a fun team, here's hoping they can beat England.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Clearly, there's no accounting for taste, is there? :p

Well we've seen your taste in music. 😛

• Haha 1

3ElrvDY.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Should I root for Denmark 🇩🇰 or Australia 🇦🇺 today?...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

Should I root for Denmark 🇩🇰 or Australia 🇦🇺 today?...

Okay thats a conundrum, normally it  would  be Denmark as your country of birth but you have immigrated to Oz and you seeking citizenship so its time to support your  new country. So its Oz 🇦🇺

John Milton 

Well done US on the Iranian victory

Im supporting England to win the WC, they looking really good and the last time they won was 1996

The English created this fantastic game and Im hoping that as the  various teams get knocked out everyone gets behind England to win h9-PdCoC5sf2NdZX_768x432.jpg

John Milton 

33 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Im supporting England to win the WC, they looking really good and the last time they won was 1996

I think that was meant to be 1966... 😁

It's a running joke that England comes up with all the sports and the proceeds to suck at them 😝

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

3ElrvDY.gif

If only they could finish, had the Americans pinned back for a good time and did sweet **** all with it.  Seems to be a problem for many teams this Cup

Rough to see how players react to defeat, maybe lack of experience. Ecuadorian player was outright crushed

https://streamable.com/ih9hww

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

It's a running joke that England comes up with all the sports and the proceeds to suck at them 😝

Yes, well spotted 

And another sad reality of England is they chokers. But lets see if this WC is different 

John Milton 

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

1966 was stolen anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

If only they could finish, had the Americans pinned back for a good time and did sweet **** all with it.  Seems to be a problem for many teams this Cup

Rough to see how players react to defeat, maybe lack of experience. Ecuadorian player was outright crushed

Yeah, putting your whole being into something like this for years at a time and coming up short is understandably going to be pretty tough to handle, especially when you're at this level which requires arguably unhealthy amounts of drive and competitiveness. Always pulls on the old heart strings to see crying in public like that when you understand the context, even if it's over "just" a game. Well, unless it's a player whose public persona people generally dislike, in which case they'll probably be mocked online for the rest of their careers and/or lives for it, but that's a whole other thing: the dual-edged blade of public emotional displays can certainly be a sharp one.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

38 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Always pulls on the old heart strings to see crying in public like that when you understand the context, even if it's over "just" a game.

Germany's famous 7-1 win over Brazil was one of the hardest ones to see, in terms of how the Brazilian players were afterwards.

I think these are relevant concerns as well: how good you're expected to be as a country, where the game is played and who you're playing against. Brazil's collapse ticked all the boxes in terms of it being as humiliating as possible.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Germany's famous 7-1 win over Brazil was one of the hardest ones to see, in terms of how the Brazilian players were afterwards.

I think these are relevant concerns as well: how good you're expected to be as a country, where the game is played and who you're playing against. Brazil's collapse ticked all the boxes in terms of it being as humiliating as possible.

Wasn't all that hard to see, they had a long time to process it. You can even see the crowd reaction gradually move from despair to acceptance and rage at their players - Fred got a lot of the abuse, for some reason.  But a more experienced side than the ones here.

15 hours ago, Malcador said:

The Iranian team is going through some serious **** that unfortunately has little to do with the pitch.

47 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

The Iranian team is going through some serious **** that unfortunately has little to do with the pitch.

Eh, I think it's a skill issue or maybe was sheer fatigue at that point.

Poland advancing pretty much to be cut up by France next round, hah. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

As far as I know, the Iranian team has been the bravest one so far by quite some distance. The Dutch and the English teams gave up their protests so easily, even if there was nothing substantial at stake for them.

• Thanks 1