Ukraine Conflict - Der Weg zurück

Chilloutman

12 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Don't really know why the Russians aren't using their semi precision bombs rather than flying low enough for stingers to have an effect (exc Su25). That's the vast majority of what they did in Syria, and the rebels there had far less AA.

Because they didn't care about Syrian lives. I think that Russia is still hoping that after a victory or a surrender from Ukraine all of this will blow over. I really don't see how that can happen as far as the Ukrainian people are concerned. At best they will achieve a goal and demilitarize Ukraine, but the people will still hate them. Then again, I don't know what Ukraine's public opinion of the west is right, seeing as how they left them out to dry.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Because they didn't care about Syrian lives. I think that Russia is still hoping that after a victory or a surrender from Ukraine all of this will blow over.

I'd argue as previous that the vast bulk of the 'indiscriminate' stuff would come from artillery rather than the air anyway. That was the case in Syria, the air stuff got more coverage for being dramatic. It would be difficult to prove but I'd suspect that bog standard mortars killed more civilians than air power there.

They clearly have to do some low level attacks to hit moving targets and the like, but for a lot of stuff the difference between +/- 1m for a PGM and +/- 10 for a semi precision one is irrelevant. If nothing else you can't drop bombs of any type from a plane that has been shot down.

Anyone wondering like me, why there was still no significant attack on the 64km long convoy, which seems to be stuck? It looks like they do not need to do anything about it yet. This tries to shed some info onto the matter. (click on Read the full conversation).

TLDR - convoy is stuck in Mud, out of fuel (whole 17 kms of cars) and running out of food (allegedly, they were sent on their way with only three days worth of rations). It is highly probable, that they have also no power in car batteries. The commanding officer, who tried to "solve the situation" at the front convoy was killed by a sniper.

• Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Malc now you can see why I use to say Trump said funny things at times, this is one of them :lol: ...at least he is not president anymore. But you  must admit this is hilarious :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bit weird, but I wonder if Covid actually saved us. I'm pretty sure without it f'ing everything up, Trump would have easily been reelected. It doesn't need a genius to figure out what he would have done in this situation.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

9 hours ago, Sarex said:

Because they didn't care about Syrian lives. I think that Russia is still hoping that after a victory or a surrender from Ukraine all of this will blow over. I really don't see how that can happen as far as the Ukrainian people are concerned. At best they will achieve a goal and demilitarize Ukraine, but the people will still hate them. Then again, I don't know what Ukraine's public opinion of the west is right, seeing as how they left them out to dry.

The West didnt leave Ukraine out to dry? What are you talking about, the West is doing almost everything possible to support Ukraine but we not going to do anything that leads to war with Russia

Sorry Sarex, Im sorry you disappointed that we dont want to risk nuclear holocaust. But the sanctions will work, they work more slowly but its not as quick as WW3 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Bit weird, but I wonder if Covid actually saved us. I'm pretty sure without it f'ing everything up, Trump would have easily been reelected. It doesn't need a genius to figure out what he would have done in this situation.

Absolutely, I have always maintained it was the poor and or inconsistent response to Covid that was the greatest factor in Trumps defeat. It influenced the large percent of undecided voters who can really swing an election either way 

John Milton 

For those interested in history and background for the war... warning, long video, but very interesting. Bear in mind this is from 2015, covering post Soviet and Western relations after 1991, but could have been made yesterday. From the University of Chicago...

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

You will also have to consider that the whole situation may well be a result of Covid in the first place. I am not privy to what Putin is experiencing, but two years of near-hysterical isolation will not do you any good at all if you are inclined towards paranoia.

Both of our comments are speculation, of course, and should be regarded as such.

However, absolutely terrible historical ironies are a well-known fact, and this might be one. Who knows. Here's probably the most terrible historical irony: Adolf Hitler's anti-semitism saved the world. The exodus [sic] of Jewish scientists from Germany began in the 1930s, and was substantial. Without that, Hitler would probably have had the Bomb in 1942 or 1943. And we all know what he'd have done with it. Albert Einstein himself noted sometime around 1937/1938 that Hitler's anti-semitism will do his forthcoming war effort an awful lot of damage, which it did.

But you're not likely to make people smile when you say, "By the way, Adolf Hitler's anti-semitism saved the world".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xzar_monty said:

You will also have to consider that the whole situation may well be a result of Covid in the first place. I am not privy to what Putin is experiencing, but two years of near-hysterical isolation will not do you any good at all if you are inclined towards paranoia.

Both of our comments are speculation, of course, and should be regarded as such.

However, absolutely terrible historical ironies are a well-known fact, and this might be one. Who knows. Here's probably the most terrible historical irony: Adolf Hitler's anti-semitism saved the world. The exodus [sic] of Jewish scientists from Germany began in the 1930s, and was substantial. Without that, Hitler would probably have had the Bomb in 1942 or 1943. And we all know what he'd have done with it. Albert Einstein himself noted sometime around 1937/1938 that Hitler's anti-semitism will do his forthcoming war effort an awful lot of damage, which it did.

But you're not likely to make people smile when you say, "By the way, Adolf Hitler's anti-semitism saved the world".

I find these types of events and their outcome fascinating because you can recognize certain terrible events that were globally condemned but later on you can see how they benefitted the world and mankind in a very important way

And nukes also helped prevent WW3 with mutually assured destruction as I have previously mentioned. So the actual invention of the nuclear bomb helped prevent WW3 

John Milton 

Vh1sIOj.jpg

This Texas communist man went to fight alongside Russia, saying “these guys are going to save and liberate all the good people in Ukraine.” If this is how committed he is to fighting fascism at his age, all of us younger Marxists should step up our anti-fascist militancy game.

Americans. :)

14 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

<ignore this, too. sorry folks. will stop posting in this thread. such a shame that you can't just delete your comments.>

Welcome to the club, I've made more than my fair share of such comments, and apparently in reply to the same posters. :yes:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Malc now you can see why I use to say Trump said funny things at times, this is one of them :lol: ...at least he is not president anymore. But you  must admit this is hilarious :lol:

Hilarious in the same way you laugh at moronic statements, yes.

• Thanks 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

It feels like the rona has been here forever, but Trump did order an Iranian general assassinated in early 2020. It's hard to say if he did it to dredge up popularity (as no war time president has ever lost an election) or if it was just another thing the Bush-era ghouls he packed his administration with wanted to cross off their bucket list. So maybe, in a world without the rona, the US starts a war with Iran in 2020. God knows how that would go.

But assuming that other than the rona and Trump, nothing changed? I have no ****ing idea tbh. While Trump himself says monumentally dumb ****, his advisors would be firmly split between wanting to bomb Russia to oblivion and wanting to reach an accord with Russia, ostensibly to align against China. So we probably wouldn't see F-22s with PRC decals but we could see escalation or more conciliatory actions.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 hours ago, Lexx said:

It doesn't need a genius to figure out what he would have done in this situation.

...The same exact thing as Biden but perhaps with significantly different rhetoric?  Dems, Repubs, all the same, different tone.

Edited by ComradeYellow
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

He's had the restoration of Russian "greatness" in mind since he came to power 21 years ago. This event didn't suddenly spring into being. After his experiences in Syria, the rebuilding of Russian military capabilities, Biden's falling popularity, and the West's increasing dependence on Russian oil, he calculated that now is the time when he can get away with a takeover of the Ukraine and succeed.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."